Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisygirl1972

Newbie help for a big empty Ohio yard!

daisygirl1972
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm so excited that I just found this site! I've just moved back to Ohio after 10 years in Virginia and have a lovely 1/4 acre yard that's just *screaming* to be planted!

Right now I have one each of the following trees: Sugar Maple, White Dogwood, Apple, Peach, Bing Cherry, Pear, a false orange (I guess that's really a shrub?) and an amazing concord grape arbor!

I also have a 100 ft long, 15 foot tall evergreen shrub acting like a fence around one edge of my yard that I can't identify - all I know is that the flies (ew!) love it.

I'm looking for ideas for flowers and veggies. This post could have gone in accessible gardening as well, as I have difficulties bending/crouching - but I'm willing to push it a bit to have a nice garden. I'm hoping that by having multiple smaller garden plots I'll be able to accommodate this.

What I would love are ideas for the following things: flowers/shrubs that will attract honeybees and hummingbirds. I actually had 3 nesting pairs of hummingbirds this past summer, but by the time I saw them, it was too late to do anything really but put out feeders.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should plant and could help me with light/shade requirements I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Wendy Pickering

PS - I don't have much in the way of seeds to give away to thank people for their advice, but I do have some Tulip Poplar and Hardy (they grow in Ohio!) Mimosa seeds :)

Comments (6)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    15 years ago

For access issues, check out square foot gardening!

In my central ohio yard, the bees really are crazy for beebalm (monarda) which is a native & comes in many colors. The also love agastache. These are both full sun.

Hummingbirds have been attracted to honeysuckles (not the invasive kind) and trumpetvines (warning, do not plant this unless you want to cover a large and very sturdy structure, and battle its desire to take over the world), also salvias. You must already have things that attract and feed them, though, if they were nesting there.

There is a hummingbird forum too; I'm sure they have more info.

I sure do wish that I had so much land! I would be planting more fruit trees/shrubs, and one of everything else!

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

For shade I highly recommend columbines, they keep their foliage nice for ages. I have morning glories, the hummers like those too. My morning glories have managed pretty well in the shade as well as full sun. I also appreciate my daffodils, they are hardy, handle poor soil around my maple trees and can be planted quite deep.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Check out the Winter Sowing Forum and the Seed Exchange. You soound like the perfect winter sower.

Post, and tell them Bakemom sent you. Then see what happens! You will love it.

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

keep watching this forum for signs about the central ohio garden swap. it's usually a great way to get free plants
    and meet people. its usually in Hilliard Ohio in early-mid may

diggerb

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

When I first got interested in plants I loved to sit and look at nursery catalogs (still do). And their websites!
    You can see the plants and read about them and daydream about which ones you need and want. They are a great source of information but you can usually find most of the plants you want locally cheaper. and avoid the shipping cost. All you have to do is go to the websites and request a free catalog. My favorites are www.springhillnursery.com , www.gurneys.com , there are also HenryField's, Parks, Burpee and probably more.
    And like Bakemom said... check out the wintersowing forum... it is great.

• diggerb2
    15 years ago

well don't forget to try butterfly bush (buddlia ?) and milkweed to attract butterflies.

also scarlet runner beans are great for attracting hummers

dill and fennel will both attract butterflies

diggerb

Sponsored