Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

Winterberry - Anyone Have Berries?

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

I have two female and one male winterberry shrubs from Oakland. Now, I have had a death, an assault from city workers etc for these poor shrubs, but still, I kinda expected to see some berries at some point. It's been several years and they were professionally installed and lovingly maintained.

Anyone have luck with this shrub?

Comments (8)

• ohiogdnr
    19 years ago

Yes, we've had good luck with ours. We are growing the Red Sprite variety and the berry set this year was very good.

Seems like yours should have started berrying by now. Are you sure of the sexes? The only other thing that may be affecting them is poor pollination in the spring. Either a lack of bees working them or poor weather conditions at bloom time.

I'm sure it's really frustrating!

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

I am replete with fruit, with excess on my larger plants due to the regular (extremely) rains of 2004. Winter Red; Bonfire; Harvest Red; and Stoplight are loaded. My Southern Gentleman and Jim Dandy were fine sires this year.

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

My larger winterberries didn't set fruit this year (Southern Gentleman couldn't perform or something), but the Red Sprites, which were newly planted set some fruit. I expect, hope, pray for more next year.

• tillable2000
    19 years ago

My Winter Reds and Winter Golds have heavy fruit set this year.The Winter Golds are small- one may only be 3' tall even- and are heavily laden. You might want to check you flowers this spring (use a hand lens) to determine if they are female or male plants, your plants may have been tagged incorrectly. Female flowers will have pistils(looks like a tiny bud which is actually the ovary) and male flowers will have stamens only. If you are unable to determine, take some of the flowers from each plant to your county extension office, the agent should be able to help you. The horticulture folks at Oakland should also be able to determine what your plants are by looking at the flowers. They are very helpful and hopefully would supply you with the correct plant.

• Kris_Stone
    19 years ago

Our decidious hollies are LOADED with fruit this year too... the best I have observed yet at the Arboretum.

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

A report from a less well-maintained situation:

In Cane Run Park here in Louisville, an extensive spring 2004 planting of 30+ shrubs (some "donated"-read throwaway- container plants and some fresh dug B&B plants) of multiple varieties are loaded with fruit as well. Selections include....

Ilex decidua 'Warren's Red'
    Ilex verticillata 'Chrysocarpa'
    I. v. 'Winter Gold'
    I. v. 'Winter Red'
    I. v. 'Southern Gentleman'
    I. v. 'Jim Dandy'
    I. x 'Sparkleberry'

These plants didn't receive aftercare post-planting. They were planted along the edge of a broad shallow detention basin, and it has been about the second wettest year on record around here. The blend of the bright reds, mellow gold-orange, and yellow fruits is quite a show. Metro Parks hopes to continue to add to the flavors in this planting.

• jerrie
    19 years ago

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PIC OF WINTERBERRY.

• aegis1000
    19 years ago

jerrie,

Just for you ...

{{gwi:240564}}

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz