Lynn
18 years ago

Are we having a Spring swap?

WindsurfGirl

Comments (68)

• Clara_Listensprechen
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just mail 'em to me. I won' post my address here, tho--contact me via claralistensprechen@bluebottle.com and we'll get the particulars lined out in private.

• Annie
    18 years ago

I will try to come too, if I can. Would like to meet all of you and do a little 'swapping around' ;)

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Can I get dibs on bringing the paper plates and plastic silverware? Our van will be packed with all 7 in the family plus a bazillion plants. I don't want to try and sqeeze food into that overpacked sardine can and make it survive a 4-5 hour road trip. ROFL!

I got some of my garlic chives divided last night and potted the extras up so I'll have a bunch of those for the swap if anyone wants any. Also got a few peppermint and spearmint potted.

I'll update here with what extras I pot up/seed as I go so you guys can claim 'em if you want them and I'll stick your names on them. :-)

Diane

• plantermunn
    18 years ago

Owiebrain I would like to have some of your mint.

I think someone else has some chocolate mint if I could ask for a start.

I dont know what I will bring plant wize. Everything here is looking a bit dry at the moment.

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Gotcha marked down for some mint, Plantermunn. :-)

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Has anyone started seeds for the swap? I didn't get any wintersowing done, so hopefully I'll get some seeds started this weekend.

We still need volunteers to bring food and related supplies for the snacks. I will bring chicken salad and some rolls. Diane is bringing paper plates and plastic silverware.

We still need:
    cups
    napkins/paper towels
    soda
    food- bring whatever is your speciality or what ever will travel well (chips, cookies, etc. Don't forget we will have power for crockpots.)

We are looking for donations of garden related door prizes.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Happy Gardening!

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

You can put me down for the cups and paper towels, too, if no one else wants to claim them. As long as it's stuff I can shove safely under seats, I'll bring it. :-) What kind of garden-related door prizes are you looking for? My scrambled brain just can't grasp the concept. LOL

Holy smokes, have I ever started seeds for the swap! I hope you guys want tons of tomatoes and peppers! As the time grows nearer, I'll list what specific varieties in excess I have. I don't want to jink it by listing it here now or they'll all die off. LOL But, I'll link you to my blog where I list what I'm planting as I get them done. Just click on the "garden" category to the right and that will take you to the entries with planting lists.

Hey, does anyone want any Mexican mint plants? I grew them last year and never used it--ended up not really liking it. It came back like crazy this year and I hate to see it go to waste. I'd be more than happy to dig up some clumps for anyone who wants them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on

• robolink
    18 years ago

How do you want to go about collecting the $$ for door prizes?

Robin

• plantermunn
    18 years ago

I have started a few seeds. Its a seed jumble thanks to the dog. I just smoothed it out and now I just have to guess what is what. She brought me a dead rat today so all is forgiven.

Dug up a couple of more things. Creeping phlox. It will not be looking very good by the swap. I have two small Adams Needles.

I have more sedum if any one wants some. They were looking a bit on the slickly side last month but they are looking better now.

I could have a couples of starts of Mountain mint .Caution not to be used by pregnant women.

I will bring tuna pasta salad.

• cravincapsaicin
    18 years ago

Well, I missed the fall swap due to a charity commitment. And wouldn't you know it?
    I have to miss the spring swap too!
    How can the only two charity events I've done in the past year both fall on our swap dates?
    I'm trying to figure out a way to have someone drop off some plants for others, but I can't make any promises right now.
    Anyone who lives in the central Oklahoma area and is looking for heirloom peppers or tomatoes, email me and I'll figure out a way to get you some.
    -CC

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

CC, we will miss you. There was talk of a possible swap in Stillwater. Does anyone know if there will be one? Is Stillwater withing driving distance for you, CC?

Robin- In the past, we have not collected money for door prizes. Door prizes are usually donated by the attendees and are usually garden related. If there is extra money from donations to pay for the site, I will use the extra money for door prizes. I believe there was $20 from the last swap- I need to check the exact amount. I could sure use suggestions on what kind of door prizes to get. It would be great if someone (hint, hint, anyone, LOL)would like to tackle organizing door prizes.

I can't wait to see everyone.
    Happy Gardening!

• soonercel
    18 years ago

Can newbies at gardening come too? I live in NE Norman and would really love to get some tips from you all on flowers and some veggie growing. Btw, I've started too many cherry tomatoes and sunflowers if anyone is interested in them.

I've never been to that park, is there a play area for kids near the pavillion? I have 4 who could quite possibly be with me.

We could bring a few bottles of soda and some food too.

• plantermunn
    18 years ago

Everyone is welcome.

My memory is a bit fuzzy at times but I think there was a swing set near by.

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

soonercel- Please join us! The pavillion is enclosed with a tall chain link fence, but I believe there just outside of it within viewing/shouting distance. All add you to the list for soda and a potluck item.

We still need more volunteers to bring food and related supplies for the snacks. I will bring chicken salad and some rolls. Diane is bringing paper plates and plastic silverware. She has also volunteer to bring cups and paper towels- but perhaps someone else who is driving a long way would like to help?

We still need:
    cups
    napkins/paper towels
    soda
    food- bring whatever is your speciality or what ever will travel well (chips, cookies, etc. Don't forget we will have power for crockpots.)

MORE PEOPLE! We would like to meet you- don't worry about not have enough plants. Just bring yourself and enjoy talking with fellow gardners!

Happy Gardening

• robolink
    18 years ago

I'll bring a few sodas (2 liters or cans? And will we have ice? how about water or tea?) and some other food. I can also bring cups/paper towels and napkins unless someone else would rather do that than making food.

Robin

• Lynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'll bring the cups and napkins/paper towels. Since I have to drive so far that would work better for me than food.
    I'm also bringing a bird feeder for a door prize. And I'll bring the names tags as I usually do.
    I've started some tomatoes and peppers. I've also got some starts of mexican feather grass. No telling what else I will come up with. My mom has some cannas she dug so I may bring some of them too.

WindsurfGirl

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

My computer is acting like it's going to die completely so just popping in to print out the directions and details of the swap. That way I'll still be able to make it if the computer goes kerplooey before then. ;-) See ya in a month, gang!

• robolink
    18 years ago

Bumping this back up!

I'll plan on bringing something for a door prize. I was thinking maybe some garden gloves.

I'll also have perennial phlox, creeping phlox, cannas and maybe some winter sown things.

Does anyone want forsythia? I can pot some up---I have lots!

Robin

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Got a new computer. :-)

Robin, I'd love forsythia and phlox! Anything i nparticular you're looking for? Can I tempt you with some veggie seedlings or maybe some herb starts or?

Oh, we have about a bazillion wild blackberries on our place if anyone wants me to dig up some starts.

• robolink
    18 years ago

Owiebrain,

Yes, bring some of your favorite tomatoes and peppers. I'd love to get some of your heirlooms. What types of herbs do you have? Pineapple sage, by any chance?

I'll pot you up some things soon!

Anyone else want tall garden phlox, creeping phlox or forsythia?

Robin

Robin

• plantermunn
    18 years ago

I have a white tall phlox and a pink. I would like another color. Or if you have the one that makes its flowers into a round ball. That would be nice.

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Less than a month- seems like forever since we have gotten together. I'm going to start dividing plants today. Like the shasta daisies- a treasure from the first swap I attended. My garden was sparse- but kind gardeners gave my garden a boost! There are a few volunteer trumpeter vines that need to find new homes. My next door neighbor is allowing me to remove strawberries from an overgrown patch. There are always more star of bethlehem bulbs, pink shamrocks and orange daylilies.

Robin- The tall phlox from last years swap came back! I would love to add a few more.
    PlanterMum- I keep discovering more places for sedums.
    Owiebrain- wild blackberries- can they be grown in containers, at least for a few years?

If you are planning on attending the swap, but have not posted please do. The more the merrier.

Please bring a potluck item to share. Bring your speciality or whatever travels well. So far the menu is:

soonercel: soda and a potluck item
    mrsfrodo: chicken salad and some rolls.
    Diane: paper plates and plastic silverware.
    WSG: cups and paper towels
    Robin: soda (2 l or cans works, I'm sure tea and water would be appreciated)

For door prizes:
    WSG: bird house
    Robin: garden goves or other item
    mrsfrodo: TBD

MORE PEOPLE! We would like to meet you- don't worry about not have enough plants. Just bring yourself and enjoy talking with fellow gardners!

Happy Gardening

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Robin, I'll be bringing tons of maters so you (and anyone else who wants them) can take your pick. Herbs? Lessee... Spearmint, pepperming, lemon balm, sage (common edible), garlic chives, Egyptian walking onions (pretty sure they're Egyptian but not 100% sure), various basils, safflower, ... I'm not remembering them all and lost my list when my computer died. I'll be potting stuff up this week and making a new list with the final count. I'll come back and link you guys to the list when I get it up. Oh, by the way, I'm interested mostly in the creeping phlox, although I probably wouldn't turn down the tall phlox, either. ;-) Sorry I forgot to specify before.

MrsFrodo--I have no idea if wild blackberries can be grown in containers. They get pretty big and wild so maybe if you had a big enough container? Anyone know?

If I get creative before then, I'll try to think up something for a doorprize.

• Lynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

There are several gardeners from my OK Gardening group that will be coming to the swap also. They will be bringing food and plants. Thought you might be interested to know there are a few more coming than have posted here.

Would anyone like pinecones for crafts or decor? I have lots I can bring if anyone wants them. I probably won't bring them unless requested, so let me know if you want some.

WindsurfGirl

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

I finally got everything divided, potted up, organized, alphabetized, and counted. LOL I have way too many seedlings to just bring them all so, if you want something in particular, please let me know so I'm sure to bring it.

I have listed all of the veggie seedlings on my blog so go and take a look. I'll also be bringing whatever extra herbs I haven't killed by then but that's a grab 'em when ya see 'em type of deal. Do let me know what to bring for veggies, though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Available seedlings

• Lynn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just got word that Sheri will be coming and bringing a main dish and dessert as well as a door prize. She has not posted her plans on this site yet.

Do you realize it is only TWO WEEKS until the swap!

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

TWO WEEKS! I better get busy. My neighbors strawberries are still waiting to be divided. There are a few shasta daisies already potted up. I can dig up a few more. I'm behind on sowing seeds- as usually, but I will have at least one each of Black Krim, Sioux, Tessoloniki, subartic and black plum tomatoes. There should be a few Suprise Lilies/Naked Ladies. The trumpeter vines are popping up all over the place. There are at least two pots of star of bethelem flowers- plan on potting more. Same with the pink shamrocks.

Robin- I would love some creeping phlox or forsyhia.
    Diane- do you have extra sage or garlic chives?
    Have I tempted you guys with anything? Or is there anything in particular you are looking for.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Happy Gardening!

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

I have both sage and garlic chives and have marked you down for both, MrsFrodo. :-)

• robolink
    18 years ago

Anyone have Rosemary or Pineapple sage? Also, my echinacea and rudbekias didn't do as well as I had hoped. So I would love some of those.

Robin

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Does aybody need any small, landscape shrubs? Can't tell you what they are. My neighbors put 5-6 of them on the curb. The shrubs were there when they moved in. They moved them to put in flowers beds, but they weren't absolutely thriving. So they were torn out. I'm going to put them in some kind of container and bring them next weekend. I know nothing about shrubs, so I am hoping they will make it that long. They spent overnight out of the ground, so are probably not happy.

It's been a great day. I have been stalking the yard, removing those stray plants that just weren't right and potting them up for the swap.

See you all next weekend! Happy Gardening!

• sarab
    18 years ago

Hey mrsfrodo! Thanks for the personal heads up. I'd love to come to the swap. The MG Public Plant sale is the same day, but in the morning.

When I have a little more time to peruse this thread I'll figure out a food thing to bring.

AND, I'll go through my seedlings and other things and see what I can bring. I started extra tomato seeds, but it sounds like there will be a lot there, and mine are still kind of small.

It will be so nice to see everyone again. Anyone heard from Okiedawn lately? Windsurfgirl, sorry I didn't get my act together on the seeds and garlic last fall; life was a little crazy at that time. I didn't get a lot of things done!

See you all next week!

sara

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

COUNTDOWN: 1 WEEK

The suspense keeps building. I can't wait to see everyone and meet all those who have started posting since our last swap. I have emailed a few people who haven't posted recently, but attended previous swaps. If you remember someone from the swaps, but haven't seen them post in a while please send them an email to invite them. If you have a friend who is a gardener, bring them along. We would love to meet your friends. Su amigo es mi amigo.

Remember, we're calling it a plant swap, but it's really about GARDENERS. Experienced gardeners and newbies. Don't worry if you don't have a lot to trade. Come meet us and enjoy some garden talk. Your garden will probably grow a little too.

There haven't been a lot a posts as to what everyone is bringing to eat, but with potlucks it is always fun to be surprised. There is always plenty of food. If you can't decide what to bring, just bring your speciality or whatever travels well (chips, cookies, etc). I think the plates/utensils and drinks etc are covered. If anyone can think of anything that has been forgotten- just volunteer to bring it!

For those who have posted, here's a reminder of what you are bringing:
    mrsfrodo: chicken salad and some rolls. (oh yeah- got to make that Sat morning, can't just dig up more plants!)
    Diane: paper plates and plastic silverware
    Robin: soda (2 L or cans work, I'm sure tea and water would be appreciated)
    Sheri: main dish and dessert

As for door prizes, we can expect:

mrsfrodo: TBD- maybe a gardening book
    Sheri:TBD

MORE PEOPLE! We would like to meet you- don't worry about not have enough plants. Just bring yourself and a friend and enjoy talking with fellow gardners.

Happy Gardening!

• leava
    18 years ago

I just now found this forum but would love to come to the plant swap.I have lost most of my stuff to droughts and am hoping to get things replanted......And am putting in a small veggie garden this week.

Leava :)

• owiebrain
    17 years ago

Almost time, gang!

After figuring out what space is available in the van, I figured out that I won't be able to bring many extras. So, if there's something of mine in particular that you want, you need to let me know on my blog. I'd have to bring a trailer to bring many more. LOL

See ya in a few days!

Diane

• robolink
    17 years ago

Hey, is anyone bringing ice? Those drinks might be a little warm otherwise.

I potted up some orange mint and a couple of daturas (white moon flower) today. I also have plenty of zinnias, marigolds, and purple ruffles basil coming up from last year. Anyone want those?

How much creeping phlox and forsythia should I bring? I have it for Ms Frodo and Diane so far. I also have the tall phlox and a wisteria start. Doesn't look like much, but it's alive.

See ya Saturday,
    Robin

• mrsfrodo
    17 years ago

hmmm.... ice! What a great idea Robin. If I've missed anything else, I'm relying on you guys to catch it.

That orange mint sounds wonderful. Stop me when I start asking for too much.

See you Saturday!
    Happy Gardening!

• Lynn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'd take some purple ruffles basil Robin.
    Has anyone got white coneflowers?

WindsurfGirl

p.s. plantermunn check your email, I sent you one with a question.

• robolink
    17 years ago

Andria,

You're not asking for too much. I've got LOTS! It's nice to give it away to people who like it.

WSG - I'd like some white coneflowers too! Maybe someone will have some.

Oh, and I'm bringing the seeds left over from the fall swap with some additions. So everyone bring your leftover seeds and trade for what you want.

Robin

• leava
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any catnip or catmint plant divisions to share at the plant swap? I have some seeds but I make catnip mice and would love to have some established plants to get started with.........

Leava

• owiebrain
    17 years ago

Ooh, Robin, can I beg for a bit of the orange mint, too? I'm quickly becoming a mint freak!

• earthmother_okc
    17 years ago

Hi all!
    I will be at the plant swap. I have a few plants, though, not many as I have begun working after 8 years of retirement and I don't have a lot of free time anymore to garden like I used to.

I will bring a cake again this year and also, a door prize.
    I will bring some of the following plants to swap:

catnip, garlic chives, chives, oregano, Hybrid Iris, A variety of seeds, and a few other miscellaneous plants, also, I will try to bring a few indoor ornamental plants.

Of the items that people are bringing that I saw listed here, I would like to have:

Any kind of phlox, blue aster, basils, shrubs, hostas, cannas, blackberry bushes, mexican feather grass and elephant ears.

I look forward to seeing those of you from last years swap and meeting the newbies. Sorry I have not been able to post on the garden web very often. But I do check in to see how everyone is doing from time to time.

I'll see you at the swap.

Shelia

• plantermunn
    17 years ago

Windsurfergirl I did not find your email.

MrsFrodo I will let you have first pick of the seedums.

• orchidtrader
    17 years ago

Windsurfgirl , I've emailed you on Monday and again yesterday about the Sabal minor. For some reason my emails do not seen to be going through . I have been reciecing yours . I hope you do not think I'm avoiding you .
    orchidtrader

• okiegardener
    17 years ago

I'm going to try to attend with some plants in tow. My mom is very ill with Lou Gehrig's disease, but if I can get my brother to stay with her, I'll be there!

Is this still correct: 12 to 3, Will Rogers Park South Plant Pavillion (the castle)?? Hope to be there!!

• mrsfrodo
    17 years ago

PLANT SWAP DETAILS
    THE 20006 SPRING PLANT SWAP is APRIL 29 from 12:00-3:00 at the SOUTH PAVILIION OF WILL ROGERS PARK in northwest OKC at NW 30th and Portland. This is the same location as last years spring and fall swaps in "the castle." A map to the sited is linked at the bottom of this post.

It looks like it may rain, but the "castle" has enclosed areas. EVEN IF IT RAINS THE SWAP IS STILL ON. I got the key yesterday, and checked to make sure it worked.

My interenet access outside of work is limited. I may not be able to answer emails after 5:00 today. So if you have questions about the swap your are welcome to email me, but it is recommended that you post here. There will be someone who can answer your questions. Hopefully, I've covered most questions with this post. I wouldn't want anyone to not come because they were unsure about something.

The swap is an informal get-together. Most gardeners bring plants they have in excess or extra seedlings they have started as they prepared their gardens. Many people arrange trades in advance, but it is not required. Don't worry about not having much to bring. There are always "extras". Bring what you can and enjoy some gardening talk.

There will be refreshments potluck style and door prizes. The picnic tables will be used for both refreshements, plants and most importantly People! There are power and water available. Stocked restrooms are on site. Help with food/set-up and clean-up are always welcome.

Remember, we're calling it a plant swap, but it's really about GARDENERS. Experienced gardeners and newbies. Don't worry if you don't have a lot to trade. Come meet us and enjoy some garden talk. Your garden will probably grow a little too.

There haven't been a lot a posts as to what everyone is bringing to eat, but with potlucks it is always fun to be surprised. There is always plenty of food. If you can't decide what to bring, just bring your speciality or whatever travels well (chips, cookies, etc).

We still need a VOLUNTEER to bring ICE. If anyone can think of anything that has been forgotten- just volunteer to bring it!

For those who have posted, here's a reminder of what you are bringing:

mrsfrodo: chicken salad and some rolls.
    Diane: paper plates and plastic silverware
    Robin: soda
    Sheri: main dish and dessert
    Sheila: cake

As for door prizes, we can expect:

mrsfrodo: two gardening books.
    Sheri:TBD
    Sheila: TBD

If you haven't been to a swap before, we would like to meet you- don't worry about not have enough plants. The most important and fun part is talking to other gardeners--- so one more is always welcome.

Happy Gardening and See you at the SWAP!

Here is a link that might be useful: MAP TO SWAP

• owiebrain
    17 years ago

Robin, did you ever find any rosemary? I just have my one plant but I can snip some cuttings for you in the morning if you like. LMK.

Diane

• robolink
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for asking, Diane. I went ahead and purchased a small rosemary----something I have done for the past three years! I just can't seem to overwinter them outside. This year (if mine makes it to fall) I'll plan to bring it in for the winter. (I know I'm supposed to be in zone 7, but sometimes I wonder!!)

I have my plants loaded in the back of the truck ready to bring them tomorrow. I'm thinking I may need to dig up a little bit more tall phlox, though. I have plenty of drinks to bring (I think). Doesn't look like we'll be too hot though. Hopefully, it won't pour rain while we're there. I also got my door prize today.....just gloves, but don't we always need another pair? I do!

My daughter, Ali and I will be there at 12:00, and another daughter has a break from teaching dance at 1:00, so will come late. We sure are looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

Bring lots of plants, seeds, smiles, etc! We'll have a great time.

See you then,
    Robin in Southern Logan County

• owiebrain
    17 years ago

Glad you found some, Robin. :-) I planted one out in the ground a couple of years ago but it didn't make through to spring, either. Probably a stupid mistake on my part. I did have Pineapple Sage last year but, due to more stupidity on my part, it died this winter/spring. Good thing they don't put people in jail for plant murder--I'd be in for life!

Went out and dug up a few herbs this morning--sage, spearmint, peppermint, lemon balm, galic chives, etc. Veggie seedlings are already outside waiting . Plates and silverware are loaded in the van. Maps are printed. Seeds are ready. I keep thinking there's something I'm missing...

Oh, I started several hosta seeds early this spring so I'm bringing a couple of those plants. They're still quite small, though.

• Lynn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm packing the truck this morning. I've check my list and think I have everything. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I'll try to be there about noon. See you at the swap!

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    17 years ago

Packing the truck- diggin a few last minute things- what's a little rain? Got ice and chicken salad and PLANTS.

There is a fire place- if any one has any dry logs, or starter logs we could start a fire.

I'll see you all in a few hours!