Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Round Robin

Posted by Lily__Nut Zone 7 OKC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 20, 04 at 13:50

I came across an interesting thread in the Seed Exchange forum. The thread is for a seed round robin. A box/packet of seeds is sent around to a list of those interested. You just replace as many seeds as you take out of the box, hopefully with different seeds. The travels of the packet is tracked on the forum. In fact, there is now a new Round Robin forum they are using to track their 2 seed boxes. That round robin is already closed, but I thought if enough people were interested it might be fun to have our own Okie seed round robin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Round Robin

I'd be willing to do it! Sounds fun.

WindsurfGirl

o

Count me in!

sred98

o

Anyone else? We need a few more to do this!

WindsurfGirl

o

Count me in! I have tons of seeds to trade! I don't get here often (weekends only), so email me and let me know if I need to check-in!

Brinda :)

o

I don't know if I have anything anyone is interrested in. Of what I do have, some are saved in envelopes labled "pretty yellow flower from out front" or "fancy fountainy grass". I'm not a total dunderhead, I do have some that I know the names of. What do you think?

o

I think you should join in wolohobe. Wouldn't bother me any to pick some "fancy fountainy grass" out of the box!

WindsurfGirl

o

Alright. So how many seed packs are you going to start the box with Lily? And when were you thinking of starting it?

o

K...I need specific directions but I'll for sure do it too!

Jules

o

I've never done one and I'm a newbie. I may have a FEW things somebody might want. I would like to try it tho.

tulsa

o

I'd love to do this! I'm a newbie here, but not to gardening. Love staring from seed and have stuff to share. Count me in, please!

o

I would like to try to be a part of this.

Jamie

o

I'm interested. Just let me know when & how :)

Kathy

o

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in our Okie Seed Round Robin. Please e-mail me your name and address so we can get started. Here are the rules:
1)Have fun!
2)Take as many seeds as you want, just replace them with the same amount of seeds, or more. If you take 10, replace 10, etc.
3)Please label the seeds with as much information as you have including your GW name. If someone has questions about the seeds later, they know whom to contact.
4)Any type of seeds are welcome in this round robin, so include flower, veggie and herb seeds if you like.
5)If you want to mark some seed packets as freebies for Newbies that might not have many seeds to trade, that would be great.
6)I will send the packet to the first person on the list. The packet will include the Flight Plan for our robin. Just take and replace seeds and mail the robin to her next destination. There is a Round Robin Exchange forum and I will start a thread there. When you receive the robin please post that she has landed. When you mail her please post so the next person will know to be expecting her.

Thursday, February 5th will be the last day to sign up for our Okie Seed Round Robin. She will be mailed to her first destination on Monday, February 9th. The Flight Plan will follow the order people replied to the original post. Right now that order is as follows:

WindsurfGirl
Sred98
ChaseUdn
Woholobe
Jules4u101
TulsaLady
Punkiepie
Jamie jp
Kathy7
Back to Lily Nut

Thanks and lets have fun and get more seeds to winter sow.

Paul

o

oh darn, I don't want to be first. I won't get to see what seeds everyone else puts in. :( That will teach me to speak up so fast! LOL Thanks for doing this Paul!

WindsurfGirl

o

Include me. Sounds like fun!

Jill

o

Jamie, if you would've just spoke up two people before we wouldn't have had to mail it...lol Would've saved us some postage...lol

Come here little birdie birdie!

Jules

o

Count me in for this also...sounds like fun....debi

o

If anyone b4 me wants to share some patchouli seeds, I wouldn't mind at all......

o

Hey Wolo...you'd better send me some good seeds...lol
Tulsa, I'll do my best for ya hun!

This will be fun!

Jules

o

what if the thing went around twice? would there be totally different seeds in the box for WSG to choose from?

o

please include me. s confer in oklahoma city. this is indeed exciting

sdc in okc

o

Send it around twice....that would be interesting! I'm sure everyone would find something different in there! Good idea wolohobe!

Here is a link that might be useful: MtFuji

o

After the Robin completes her first journey I will check to see if anyone would like a second visit. Right now her flight plan is as follows:

WindsurfGirl
Sred98
ChaseUdn
Woholobe
Jules4u101
TulsaLady
Punkiepie (need address info)
Jamie jp
Kathy7 (need address info)
ChlorophyllJill
Demodebi
Sconfer32
Back to Lily Nut

I still need address info from Punkiepie and Kathy7. The last day to sign up and give address info is this Thursday, February 5th.

o

One more question: what if you have something you think more than one person might want? Like say I have lots of purple hyacinth bean, could I put two offers of that in if I took two different packets out? I certainly wouldn't put in more than two of the same something. What if I have more than one variety of the same thing, like for instance, I have 3 kinds of rose-of-sharon/hardy hibiscus? Should I choose one to put in or would it be okay to offer one each of two different ones?

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

o

This is my first time at this also so this is just my opinion.

Put in as many as you want of any type of seeds. If you have lots to spare several people may like to have some.
Definitely put in several varieties. If I collect a certain plant, like hardy hibiscus, I might want seeds from all 3 types you have.

o

agreed. i plan to put in several seed packets of multiple types. i plan to put in several and remove only a few. i am at the bottom of the list, so i hope that maybe it can revolve around a couple of times.

sdc in okc

o

I want the box twice. When I get it the first time there may not be much in there, or are you going to fill it full for me paul?

WindsurfGirl

o

I think twice around to everyone is a good thing! Or maybe just for the people who want it twice.....LOL!!! I'm excited and ready to roll! I love RR's! And have plenty of seeds to share !

Just a quick word of warning....my work schedule is very crazy with trying to run 2 different businesses that are 75 miles apart. So if the RR should land at my house from Tuesday thru Thursday I probably won't open it until Friday. I will be certain to hurry and get it out as soon as possible though! Have fun everyone! We should have started one back in November! Next year we will know to do it earlier!

o

From TulsaLady & wolohobe (who is spending the weekend in taloolie): we will both do the second round, but wolo asks to be the last one on the second round before the package goes back to Paul the Lily Nut.

o

Our Robin has taken flight!!! She is on her way to WindsurfGirl. I padded her nest with 19 seed packets, 9 hand picked and 10 store bought. Based on those who followed up and gave me their address information here is the flight plan:

WindsurfGirl
Sred98
ChaseUdn
Woholobe
Jules4u101
TulsaLady
Jamie jp
ChlorophyllJill
Demodebi
Sconfer32
Back to Lily Nut

I will start a thread in the Round Robin forum. Please make an entry there when you receive and send on our Robin. Thanks to everyone who signed up and I hope you have fun and get some new seeds!

Paul

o

We aren't gonna keep it going in here?

tulsa

o

Got the Robin today!

WindsurfGirl

o

We can just track our Robin here if that's okay with everyone. I'm glag you already got our Robin, WindsurfGirl.

Paul

o

Well, I only live here. lol I may just be bing petty. lol If yall want to post in the round robin forum I can go there too. :)

tulsa

o

The Robin is on it's way to Sred98 today! I took about 4 things out and think I put 20 seed packets in! Have fun everyone!

WindsurfGirl

o

Oh cool...she should have it by Tuesday and I should have it by the end of the week. I best get busy sorting seeds. I'm adding many pkgs of an unknown morning glory mix. If any of you like mgs then you should try these. They are really beautiful. The mix contains a very pale, dusty blue with pink eye....a pale pink with yellow eye and some lavenders. As of today....I haven't found anyone who could id them.

o

Those sound really pretty. I'll take some out. :)

tulsa

o

Where's the Robin at???????

WindsurfGirl

o

SRED98 posted a message on the Round Robin exchange that it was sent to ChaseUdn on Thursday.

o

Dang, now I have to go and read another forum. lol

tulsa

o

Here it is.....I just got home & checked my mail and it was stuffed in the mailbox! Big pkg and lots of seeds. I'm excited to look through them all. I will get them out tomorrow or Monday. I will post here when they leave Yukon!

o

Sorry Y'all! I didn't realize we were posting at both places! I thought we were doing it all over on the RR forum. Thanks LN for letting everybody know what was going on!

Shelly

o

Hi everyone!!!

OK.....the RR is ready to fly tomorrow! I took out 6 packages and added 24! I hope everyone has fun and many blooms this summer.

I also added 10 extra pkgs of morning glory seeds for everyone. If anyone would like to try them they are very pretty. I love them, but they can be a problem if you don't gather seeds in the fall and pull the old vines down. Leaving them thru the winter will only result in many vines that you may not want! Please....if anyone gives them a try...let me know how you like them.

TulsaLady.....I also added your brugmansia seeds. I hope you have good luck with them. I got them about 4 months ago in a seed swap. I don't know anything about them or even how old they are. I hope they germinate for you. There must be more than 40-50, so you will need to make room if they all germinate...LOL!!!

Have fun everyone! There are some great seeds in there to choose from! Everyone should enjoy the RR!!!

o

eek! You mean I could have a brug farm? lol That is, if I work them right? lol Well, as pretty as they are, I won't mind having a few. I'll put them close to my daturas. lol

Well, Tootie (my grand baby girl) got sick here Saturday night and threw up everywhere and many times. She still isn't well but she is starting to hold juice down. They are thinking I gave her some bad peaches. I sure hope not, but then that might be better than something else. She's been sleeping a lot today. I hope she is ok. They don't have insurance so we are gonna take her to the doctor tomorrow if she isn't better by then. Wish her luck please? :)

tulsa

o

Luck and smooches to this sweet little girl who stole my heart the very first time I met her. I hope you feel better soon dolly-pop.

o

RR arrived today. My mail is late in the day so it JUST arrived. You've all already been warned about how I am with specific plant names, so give me a couple days to look some of the things up. Saturday is a horse show in Edmond, so if it doesn't go out Friday, it'll have to wait until Monday. I'll post here. -wolohobe

o

Hope Tootie is feeling better...don't beat yourself up if it was bad peaches...one time I gave my granddaughter a little bit too much medicine and she slept like a log for awhile....it's still a standing joke how Grandma od'd Kelli....I felt horrible....

Can anyone tell me where I am on the RR list?....I'm leaving next Wednesday for Florida and will not return until the 11th....I just don't want it sitting here so if there is a chance it would show up then can we switch my name with someone else's???/...I have all my seeds ready to go but I certainly can't trust my husband to pick out my seeds and do an exchange...trust me..he knows morning glory and that's about it...he does try ... lol

Can anyone check on this for me?..thanks, debi

o

Debi - I have the list in front of me - after me it goes to Jules, Tulsa/Lynn, Jamie, Jill, then you, and so on. 2 weeks and 2 days to make it to me and I'm #5 on the list (counting LilyNut as #1) I think your trip will be over at about the same time it gets there and there won't be much if any delay. Enjoy your vacation and don't forget to bring me home a nice present.

o

Thanks for checking......hey, are there any plants down there or seeds I can grab to bring home???...I'm flying...if I were driving I could bring back alot of things....I know I would love to bring back some miniture citrus trees.....let me know....debi

o

debi,if you want great citrus trees, I can give you the website for a lady whose plants are fantastic!
Let me know....

~Heidi

o

Heidi...I would LOVE the website....every year I go to florida I want to bring some back (they're cheap..lol)...but usually forget...thanks...debi

o

The Robin is once again in flight.

Jules - please e-mail someone so we can post its arrival.

o

Jules got the robin today!! Yeehaw! We are getting there. lol I'll let you know when it flies again. :)

tulsa

o

Julie said she mailed the RR yesterday, so it should be here soon. :)

tulsa

o

Debi, here's the website http://www.briteleaf.com/citrus_for_sale.htm
Enjoy!

~Heidi

o

I got it today! :) There is so much in there! lol There are a couple I want to look up before I decide. But some of the ones I want have lots of seeds, so I'm just taking some seeds out of some of them and putting the rest back. I hope that's ok. Brinda, I took one of the Morning Glory packs. :) Can't wait to see those. Ohhhhhhhh.....I got my blue satin hibiscus!!! lol ty ty ty ty ty lol

Will let you know when I send it out. Probably tomorrow if I'm not flooded in. lol

tulsa

o

The bird is in the air. lol Well, it was sent off yesterday actually, just been so busy. Sorry.

Thank you Paul. That was fun. :)

tulsa

o

I got the Round Robin and will send it off to Jill tomorrow. Thanks Brinda for the Morning Glory mix. It was so much fun choosing. Jamie

o

The List.......

WindsurfGirl
Sred98
ChaseUdn
Woholobe
Jules4u101
TulsaLady
Jamie jp
ChlorophyllJill
Demodebi
Sconfer32
Back to Lily Nut

I am very excited about the reception of this ole girl. Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather. Excellent work to the person who originated this idea as it comes to frutition.

sdc

o

jamie, you're very welcome for the seeds. I hope you and anyone else that took some enjoy them as much as I have.

I really love RR's and hope we do this again in the fall and continue to do it again & again! I love new plants and seeds and also love to share with others who love blooms!

o

Hi, I'm back home now and am glad that the RR had not hit my house yet....lol...debi

o

Hey everyone - got the RR on Saturday - after I had been to the Home and Garden Show in Tulsa! I was THRILLED! Thanks everyone for contributing such great seeds. I will get it out on Monday to the next lucky contestant - which is none other than DEMODEBI (tell her what she's won Don)!

Jill

o

The Bird has left Bartlesville! On it's way to DemoDebi!

Have fun!

Jill

o

Now this what I call timed perfect....my grandson is coming over tomorrow to clean out my flower beds so they will be allllll ready for my nice seeds ....can't wait and I'm sooo glad this is going so well....thx everyone!...I guess when I get it I will know who to send it on to right?..!! debi

o

Yeah - there should be a list in there. I think Sconfer32 is next - and it'll have the address. This is a lot of fun, huh?

Jill

o

I got it I got it ....the seeds landed here at Eufaula TODAY...BUT I have 2 grandkids here (ages 6 & 7) and no matter how much I plead and trust me I have, I cannot get a moment to look at them....so as soon as I do I will go thru them and get them off.....I did get a chance to notice that there is ALOT that I really want....lol...actually too many for me to start....so will be sorting and picking out just the ones that I HAVE TO HAVE...thank you everyone...will be back when they are ready to fly the coop...debi

o

If you do this round robin again please count me in

o

I just joined a couple of days ago. I would be very interested in joining your next Round Robin. I have some beautiful pink mum seeds to share. Thanks.

o

The Round Robin arrived yesterday. Have chosen from a great variety. Thanks to everyone. I guess the plan is to send it around again and maybe this time pick up the newcomers like bookworm. Do plan to add some hot pepper seeds, okra, and little marvel peas with edible pods.

hope everyone is doing well.

sdc in okc

o

Who is still interested in a second visit from our robin? I show that WindsurfGirl, Wolohobe, ChaseUdn and TulsaLady expressed interest. Are you still interested? Is anyone else interested? We can add Merryme and ShawneeBookworm to the second round also. Thanks to everyone who participated in our little game.

Paul

o

I'm still interested. Thanks!

WindsurfGirl

o

Yes, I'm still interested. :) I'll see if wolohobe is.

tulsa

o

Wolohobe said she is still interested please, but to please put her last before it goes back to Paul if that's ok. She also said to tell everybody hi and she misses you all and will see you at the swaps. I sure do miss her fun side around here. Seems way too serious.

tulsa

o

I would love to join! Thanks, Shannon

o

I want to have a second partake. could you put jamie and i together so we can save postage?lol just kiddin
I'd love another shot...hope Tulsa was happy with what I selected! Had a great time and ready to go again.

Jules

o

Let Round 2 Begin!!!

The Robin returned home yesterday. She is fat and sassy and full of great seeds. Thanks everybody!! She is flying back out today for another round. Here is the route for Round 2:

WindsurfGirl
ChaseUdn
Jujusgarden
TulsaLady
Merryme
ShawneeBookworm
Dewaynesbaby
Woholobe
back to Lily Nut

Thanks again to EVERYONE who particiated! It was great fun.

Paul

Back to Lily Nut

o

Wait a minute! I want to do it again! Please include me if you still can!

Jill

o

The Robin has already left for the second trip, but we can still add you to the list after Woholobe. Just e-mail her your address information.

Paul

o

Woops - I missed it. Can I just get it from Jules and then mail it to TulsaLady?
Jamie

o

Sure.

o

Thanks Lilynut - I emailed Wolohobe. I loved it the last time!

Jill

o

Oh..I'm happy I checked back in here! LOL I'll be ready and waiting for the robin to land!!!! I just hope it doesn't get here at my busy time of week! (Which is everyday this month...LOL) I think I have many new seeds to put in this time around! I hope everyone has fun!

o

Brinda, I think you were the one who so generously gave everyone a packet of morning glory seeds - thanks so much. All of mine germinated and I can't wait to plant them outside!!! This is so much fun!

I think I've turned into a seed addict!

Jill

o

LOL Jill....I'm not surprised that they all germinated! I think they are germinating all over my yard as we speak! Do you know that mg's hate to be transplanted? They will look really wilty when you do, and some may not survive. If you have a problem, let me know....I have a gazillion!

o

I missed the first round. Is it too late to join in on this one?
Brenda

o

Brenda, I don't think it is too late! If everyone agrees, I can send it on to you and you can send to jujusgarden! I would love anyone new coming in.

Brinda

o

I got the Robin today! Woohoo! Lots of seeds to pick from. I'll look it over and send it on to Brinda Wednesday.

WindsurfGirl

o

Well, I haven't heard from Wolohobe, so I don't know if I will be getting it or not. :(

Jill

o

DH says that it made it last night! Oh yeah! I can't wait to get home today and see it. If everyone agrees, I plan to send it on to Brenda_in_ok, and she can send it to jujusgarden. I will get it in the mail on Monday! Enjoy a beautiful weekend everyone!!!

o

Does anyone know where our Robin is currently? Here is a list of the updated flight plan.

WindsurfGirl
ChaseUdn
Brenda_in_ok
Jujusgarden
jamie_jp
TulsaLady
Merryme
ShawneeBookworm
Dewaynesbaby
Woholobe
ChlorophyllJill
back to Lily Nut

o

Well...everyone get the gun and shoot me! I have the rr! I was sooooo sick last week with some kind of virus and missed 4 days of work. It was horrible...and I still haven't sent the rr out. I will do it tonight when I get home and send it to Brenda_in_ok! Everyone, I am so very sorry....after being sick and trying to double-time it at work all this week I forgot about it. But it will be on the way tonight! If you can't forgive me....you can just shoot me....I need someone to put me out of my misery anyway! LOL Ugh.....how can so much work pile up so fast???

Brenda_in_ok...you sent me email awhile back with your address....Please send it again....I'm not on my computer at home so I can't go back and look it up. Thanks so much! ChaseUdn@aol.com

o

Hi everyone...I forgot to post but it went out Monday to Brenda! Again, I do apologize! Hopefully I will be all caught up by Sunday...then I will need to get ready for my MIL's visit! LOL Does it ever end?

o

Received the robin today. Will get it out to Jules on Monday. Any requests for seeds? I tried to look at people's wish lists to see what they would like, but there weren't many listed. If there are any, email me before Monday.
Brenda

o

yeehaw!!!!! I got the birdie today! lol I'll send him out before the weekend. :)

tulsa

o

putting out the rr welcome mat, here birdy birdy, come to momma

rubbing hands in anticipation

o

A big fat r. robin landed at my house today. Shawnee book worm is the next on the list, will be sending the bird off in a couple of days.

o

The robin will be put into flight today headed to Shawneebookworm.

It was fun poking around in the seeds and googling up information on them, sorry i kept the robin so long.

o

I received the robin the other day and have been told that Jill and Wolohobe want to drop out so I will be sending it on to Lily Nut in the next few days.

o

The Robin returned home yesterday fat and sassy and still full of great seeds. Thanks to everyone who particated and made the Okie Seed Round Robin a blast!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Oklahoma are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here