Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotpepperdad

wanted: any plans for an ok plant swap?

HotPepperDad
19 years ago

I know I missed last years, but I was wondering if we should start planning a plant swap for this year.

Based on my whole 1 year experience in OK gardening it seems we should get started early if we are to take advantage of each others plants and actually get them in the ground.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Comments (58)

• PGMorgan
    19 years ago

Would love to be included in this plant swap. Didn't know there was such a thing in Oklahoma.

• orchidtrader
    19 years ago

I've never been to a swap . But I have tons of plants and would love to work out some trades . Right now I'm swimming in rose bushes .

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

I have been checking on a location for a plant swap. OSU OKC is no longer available to us. I have been checking on the local libraries in OKC. It may depend on whih library and whether they consider a plant swap a social event or not. So...... do you have any suggestions on guest speakers and topics so we can make this an short educational meeting of the OK Gardenweb Forum which will conclude with a longer garden swap?

I am getting clarification on the policy and will try to check out the rooms this week. I am asking about late April-early May dates. Please give suggestions on dates and weather Sat or Sun is preferred.

Happy Gardening

• Lynn
    19 years ago

I'd rather do a Saturday.
    Where else could we have it? A park? Will Rogers park is really pretty and we could look at all the flowers there also. Do they have a picnic area with tables too?

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

We have been given approval to use the libraries meeting rooms. I will go look at them in the next two days.

I love the idea of Will Rogers Park- I am trying to find out about reserving pavillions, but no one has returned my call. If I remember correctly there are picnic tables in the "main" park area, away from the gardens. We could just hope for good weather and show up.

Please give me some feed back. The dates for reserving most places have already been taken for late April/early March, so the sooner we schedule, the better.

Happy Gardening!!!

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm game for the park idea.
    Even if it does rain, it usually doesn't last all day.

Where is Will Rodgers park located?
    Do they allow grilling? (hint-hint)
    -HPD

• Lynn
    19 years ago

HPD I don't know about grills in the pavillions. Surely they do have them. I'd love for you to grill us some hotdogs! ;)
    mrsfrodo see if we can reserve a pavillion at Will Rodgers. I would think one of the last couple of Saturdays in April if possible. I don't know if we are going to get much date feedback, I'd say just pick a day. If they can't be reserved I don't see why we couldn't just show up. We would just have to have someone there early with a big sign or something so we could all find each other. I'll post another message on the discussion board and see if we can get more feedback over here.....

WindsurfGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Rogers Park

• sarab
    19 years ago

Hi all,

I haven't dropped off the planet. Would you believe I haven't started a single tomato seed, though?

I did the Master Gardener classes in the fall and am working on getting my volunteer hours completed this spring and summer at the Extension Center. I love it, and I'm learning so much!

We've also had a lot of work done on our house, so I haven't started very many seeds, either. (I've been in a shrub planting frenzy.)

I may not have plants to bring, but I can always being food! Would love to see everyone!

sara

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

I have reserved the South Will Rogers pavillion ("the castle") for a plant swap on April 30 from 1-3PM. This is located at NW 30th and Portland in Oklahoma City.

I have already started another thread for plant exchanges. Now we need volunteers to bring food, cook, name tags, door prizes-- what ever we want to do.

I will bring some kind of salad or veggie tray---- hopefully using things from the garden.

I would also like to suggest a seed swap. Fashioned after the old coupon bins in the grocery store. I know I have a few packages of seeds, that for one reason or another I am certain I will never use. So add what you would like to the bin and take what you would like. At the end of the day, I volunteer to use the remaining seeds for a round robin. Any thoughts?

I look forward to seeing everyone in April.
    Happy Gardening!

• plantermunn
    19 years ago

Thank you Andria

My wife will make cookies. I and I will make Tuna Strudel.

I didn't make last years but am looking forward to be there this year.

• smiln32
    19 years ago

Count me in. What - other than plants - can I bring?

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll be there this year.
    I have some extra seeds I could add to the bin, though nothing exotic.
    I've posted on the other thread regarding plants.
    I'll try to check on grill availability, and I'll bring dogs if we can cook them.
    I'm sure I can get my wife to whip up something sweet as well.
    I look forward to meeting everyone.
    -HPD

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

HotPepperDad- Bring on the dogs. There is at least one park grill in the pavillion area. I will check to see if there are more.

smiln32 Do you have a specialty dish? You could bring that. We also need volunteers to bring plates, napkins, soda, etc. Just thinking of something needed for a picnic and volunteer.

I'm looking forward to meeting you both.

mrsfrodo

• Lynn
    19 years ago

WooHoo! This is gonna be fun! Thanks very much mrsfrodo for reserving the pavillon. I'll bring all the name tag supplies like I did last year. I still have most of the stuff left anyway. I will also bring the forks, knives, spoons and cups. Since I live so far away a non-food item will work best for me. I can't wait to see you all again!

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

OK, this is a little touchy, but I need to address it. I have reserved the pavillion for two hours. I would like to reserve it for longer, but finances are a little short. Suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Thanks.

• sarab
    19 years ago

Hi again,

mrsfrodo, please contact me regarding the reservation for the Will Rogers Park facility.

sara

• Lynn
    19 years ago

mrsfrodo will we have tables there? I have no idea what the pavillon looks like. Is it indoors or all outside or what? I guess it has water? Are you keeping a running list of what has been volunteered? Do we still need pop, ice, plates? I've asked for help on the discussion board for everyone to please stop over here and help. Maybe you could post a list of what is needed now. Let me know if I can help with something else.

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

Sorry for the tardy reply- I've been sick.

The pavillion is outdoors, but well enclosed. It has tables and bathrooms. There is at least one grill and a fireplace both inside and outside. I think that even with bad weather we should be comfortable. I will post a list with what has been volunteered and what is still needed in the next 24 hours.

Happy Gardening!

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mrs Frodo-
    If I forget, please remind me during the swap and I'm sure we can do a quick "pass of the hat" or something to help defray pavillion costs. At the very least, I would like to do my part in this regards.
    I am truly indebted to you for your taking the lead on this thing.
    Sorry I have not been posting lately- it's true, you really aren't a parent until you have at least 2 ;-)

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

Well-- 24 hours strectched into a few days.

Details for the swap are as follows:

April 30 at the Will Rogers Park South Pavillion in OKC. To see a photo of the pavillion follow WSG's link to the park. Click on the left at "Parks&Recreation" then Facility Rental on the next page. The photo at the bottom of the page is the pavillion we will be using.

The pavillion is easiest to get to from the west side of the park. Turn east onto NW 30th St from Portland and follow the road just a little ways. The pavillion will be on the north side of the road. I will try to find a map with highway information.

We have some gracious volunteers who are bringing the following:

HotPepperDad- hot dogs. Will you also bring charcoal etc, or do we need another volunteer to bring grilling supplies?
    WindSurfGirl- name tag supplies, knives, forks, spoons, cups
    PlanterMum- cookies and tuna strudel
    mrsfrodo- veggie tray, basket for seeds, broom and trash bags for clean up.

THINGS WE NEED:

Plates/bowls
    Napkins/paper towels
    Drinks- soda, ice tea, water- your choice
    Sign to mark entrance of park and the pavillion
    Photographer
    Door prizes
    More people
    More food

The swap date was decided a little late for many of us to start plants. Don't stay away just because you don't have much to trade. Just think about those beds that need thinned out. Please come and let us put a face to the name. Then help us decide when to have the next swap- We will all have plenty of time to prepare.

Happy Gardening and see you soon!

• sarab
    19 years ago

This is so interesting. That pavillion at Will Rogers Park is one of the places where my Brownie troop had an annual picnics. We always had hot dogs!

I'll bring a digital camera, some coleslaw, and maybe Schwab's chili. I probably have some plates on the shelf.

Thanks, mrsfrodo, for putting this together.

sara

• msusana48
    19 years ago

mrsfrodo: Thank you so much for putting swap meet together. I also went last year and really really enjoyed it; especially everyone's friendliness. I can bring some finger sandwiches-to munch on before the hotdogs get grilled. Looking forward to the meet. This is only my second year to have a garden.

• JanniZone7
    19 years ago

Rachel and I will bring chips and some soda.

We also have some seed we got at last years swap, of the moon flower vine.i cannot rememebr who I got the plant from but it grew like crazy!

Cheryl

• Lynn
    19 years ago

I talked to Jules today. She said she will work on getting some door prizes. She will bring a box to draw names out of also. She may also bring some food. She doesn't have any plants to trade but will be bringing some seeds. She hasn't been on GardenWeb since last year but wanted you to know she was coming and what she was bringing.

WindsurfGirl

• jujusgarden
    19 years ago

I'M BACK SO DON'T EXCLUDE ME! WHO WAS IT THAT TOOK THE PIC LAST YEAR OF THE GROUP? COULD YOU MAKE SOME COPIES AND SELL THEM AT THE SWAP THIS YEAR?
    JULES
    HEY STEVE..HOW YA BEEN, ALL OF YOU I HAVE MISSED YOU!
    also our photo taker could maybe take pics of all and each individual and we can start a scrapbook...i'll help with expenses.

• Tomato_Worm59
    19 years ago

I posted on the main page I can bring some home-made cakes. I have some boxes of cake mixes that need to get used before they get too old. Maybe I can bring some plates and napkins/paper towels.
    Hey, the closer we get to the date, please e-mail me for wants/needs to see what else is really needed. For lack of actual plants or seeds to give away or trade, this other stuff is my way of contributing.

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmmm, can't remember if I posted a reply to you MrsFrodo, but yes I will bring the charcoal as well. I'll try to remember some condiments too. Who likes hot sauce on their dogs?
    I guess I should assume I'm bringing the buns?
    I was planning on bringing some 3 dozen dogs, but as the list of likely participants seems to be growing, perhaps I need to bring more...

• Lynn
    19 years ago

Yes HPD you may need to bring more. I know several people who are coming who have not posted here on this thread.

WindsurfGirl

• okie_deb
    19 years ago

Hello all!
    Ive been a member of GW for around 7 yrs. now but mainly have hung out in the Hoya forum. Jules told us of the swap coming up and we would like to attend!
    I have a problem though in that I am mainly a indoor gardener. Would it be acceptable and would there be any interest if I brought some Hoya cuttings? I also have some "freckles" violets (outdoor type) and some iris's (purple edge with a purpley brown background)? I have rose cuttings I could take if anyone was interested to try and root them?
    Id also be happy to help HotPepperDad and bring the hot dog buns. Traveling from Enid those would be something that wouldnt spoil. Before time just let me know how many packages to pick up.
    LMK if any of you have interest in what I could bring to trade. I am interested in some different sedums if anyone is.
    My bf would also be coming with me and he has been a member in GW for around 4 yrs.
    Anyone have any pond plants to offer? I ask because we are trying to start a container garden. So far we have 1 dwarf water lily and a dwarf umbrella plant. We would like some other dwarf plants or stay small floaters if anyone has extra and would be interested in any of our trade stuff above. 1 water lettuce might be cute also if someone has one?
    Hope I posted this in the right area! haha,,,,,,Debbie

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Debbie,
    It would be great if you could bring some hot dog buns.
    I plan on bringing 5 dozen dogs, as there seems to be quite a bit of interest in this years swap.
    I can't wait to meet everyone!
    Just to show my ignorance, what's a Hoya?
    I don't have any water plants, but I think I can scrounge up a few sedums, although to be honest I have no idea regarding the variety.

• okie_deb
    19 years ago

Hoya's are house plants. Heck there is even a Hoya forum here in Gardenweb! They work well in hanging baskets and like some sun to flower. I hang quite a few outside in summer. Leaf sizes vary from dinner plate size down to leaves being only as big as a grain of rice!

I put a link below that if you click on the names on the left side you will see pictures.

Im not picky about names on the sedum. Im just trying to get some different varieties. Sedums have so many different textures and color variations! I love it! I prefer ones that dont get too tall (6inches or so). Im going to use them as ground cover. Hopefully I will have something to trade that interests you. I saw others mention they were bringing sedums also.

5 dozen hot dog buns it is then! Thanks for letting me know.,,,,Debbie

PS: Here's a link to see what a Freckles violet looks like. White with blue speckles. It re-seeds well here in OK. and spreads well.

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~gen-yu/freckles.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Pictures

• mrsfrodo
    19 years ago

Looks like the swap is really coming together. We could still use volunteers to bring napkins/papertowels and someone who can arrive a little before noon and bring signs. If there is anything you can think of that is missing- Just volunteer to bring it.

Thanks to all the volunteers.

I will post a final list midweek of what is being brought by who. (Who's on first,.....) I will also try to find a map and post it.

Happy Gardening and take care of those plants- it's going to be cold this weekend.

• debbutkus
    18 years ago

Hello,

I am new to OKC and would love to attend. I will bring some paper towels. Is there a sign up sheet for attendance or do we just show up?

Thank you,
    Deb

• Lynn
    18 years ago

You just show up Deb. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for offering to bring the paper towels!

WindsurfGirl

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Here is a link to a map for Will Rogers Park. You can zoom in or out depending on what info. you are interested in. The pavillion is easiest to get to from the west side of the park. Turn east onto NW 30th St from Portland and follow the road just a little ways. The pavillion will be on the north side of the road.

The time will be from NOON until 3:00pm

WindsurfGirl

Here is a link that might be useful: Map

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    18 years ago

Hi Y'all,

If you will let me know what you still need in the way of supplies, I will bring them! I would prefer to bring anything that is non-perishable, as I'll be coming up from Love County in far south-central Oklahoma, and would rather not have to worry about anything perishable spoiling on the long drive up.

I've posted my plant list on the other thread, and will probably have more to add to it later today or tomorrow.

We are going to pass the hat to compensate Andria for the pavillion rental, aren't we?

I am looking forward very much to meeting all of you. Oh, and looking forward to the plant swap part of it too.

See y'all soon,

Dawn

• orchidtrader
    18 years ago

I'm not sure whats left to bring but if you need any more door prizes . I would be more than happy to bring a nice looking plant .
    Darwin

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Dawn- If you have any table clothes for outdoor tables, we could put them under the food. Can't think of anything else, but if you do- bring it!

Darwin- Hmmmm, what kind of plant. Sounds great.

See everyone Saturday!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    18 years ago

OK, Andrea, I'll bring outdoor tablecloths for the food tables, and anything else I think of. If something else comes up that you need, let me know!

Dawn

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

FINAL DETAILS OF SWAP

Saturday, April 30 from NOON to 3:00PM.
    Will Rogers Park South Pavillion.

Thanks to WindSurfGirl for the map and directions. "The pavillion is easiest to get to from the west side of the park. Turn east onto NW 30th St from Portland and follow the road just a little ways. The pavillion will be on the north side of the road." The map linked below is interactive. I will mark the road at Portland with a pinwheel/windcatcher.

The pavillion has 12 tables, most of which should be inside. We have a lot of people coming so, I may try and bring an extra folding table or two. All the seating is attached to the picnic tables, so bringing a lawn chair is a good idea for comfort.

If you haven't volunteered to bring something, condiments for hotdogs are needed. Food is potluck, so pick a speciality. If you are travelling a long distance, I'm sure more chips, soda, or eating utensils/plates would be welcome. Or more hotdogs and buns? We don't have an official count of people, so it is hard to estimate.

Thankis to all the volunteers who have agreed to bring the goodies:

msusana48- finger sandwiches
    Janni- chips and soda
    Jules- door prizes, box for drawing names, food?
    TomatoWorm59- homemade cakes
    Okie Deb- hot dog buns
    Debbutkus- paper towels
    PlanterMunn- cookies and Tuna Strudel
    HPD- hot dogs, charcoal, hot sauce, and maybe a dessert from his wife
    WSG- hame tage supplies, forks, knives, spoons, cups
    Darvin- plant for door prize
    Okie Dawn- table clothes
    mrsfrodo- veggie tray, seed bin, broom and trashbags, calendar and facilities info for the next swap.

I can't wait to see everyone Saturday. FYI- I won't have email/internet after 5:00 Friday, so please post before then if you need to contact me specifically.

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: map to Park

• sarab
    18 years ago

I'm bringing coleslaw and hot dog chili and whatever else I think of. I can bring plates, too. Do we know if there are electrical outlets in the shelter?

sara

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Sorry Sara, I hope I didn't miss anyone else. Are you still bringing the camera? I will also try to bring ours.
    Thanks for being on top of things.

• sarab
    18 years ago

Sorry, I forgot on that last message, I'll bring my camera.

Do we still need condiments? I can't imagine a hot dog without onions, so I'll bring some, and I can throw in some ketchup and mustard if needed. I also have one small folding table that I think I can squeeze into my car.

mrsfrodo, you've done a great job putting this together! I salute you!

sara

• normansooner
    18 years ago

I'm a newbie to GW but have been "listening in" for the past month -- especially about the plant swap. It sounds like fun, and we plan to be there although we don't have a lot of plants to bring. Mrsfrodo, are there any last minute items to bring for the picnic?

• HotPepperDad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sara,
    Please bring some onions!
    I planned on bringing some standard condiments (catsup, mustard, relish if we have it, etc.), as we are pretty close to the park and we can handle any perishables.

A suggestion to all,
    if you have seeds for exchange, please bring them.
    With the expected turn-out, even your extra "common" seeds might find homes, and isn't that what it's all about?
    Well, that and the chance to show off my little prince and princess ;-)

P.S.
    I have a row of leaf lettuce and arugula that we will never be able to use all of before it bolts, anyone interested in some green salad?
    If someone were to bring a selection of dressings...

• okie_deb
    18 years ago

NormanSooner I dont have alot to bring either plant wise but will enjoy meeting and making new plant friends. Ive found plant people are usually always good people!,,,,Debbie

• earthmother_okc
    18 years ago

I just happened onto this forum this evening by googling Oklahoma Rose growing and I joined immediately and while perusing the sight I discovered that there is to be a plant swap this Saturday. I would not miss it for the world. I may have a few plants to bring to swap and some seeds. I will also bring a food dish. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Shelia

• Lynn
    18 years ago

Great Sheila! You found us just in time!

I will also be bringing a couple of door prizes. My mom grows birdhouse gourds and has donated a couple of painted gourds made into birdhouses. My dad paints and he has painted flowers and leaves on them. They will even come with some of mom's seeds!

WindsurfGirl

• sarab
    18 years ago

HPDad,
    I'll mix up a viniagrette salad dressing. Onions are on my list!

Does anyone know if there are electrical outlets in the shelter? If you haven't had Schwab's chili on a hot dog you haven't lived!

Do we still need signs?

sara

• mrsfrodo
    18 years ago

Yes, there are electrical outlets. If someone is looking for something to bring- how about hot cocoa or cider. It is supposed to be pretty cool on Saturday. A coffee maker could be used to heat up the water. There are bathrooms, so we have water. The pavillion is locked when it is not in use, so it should be clean.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor