Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsfrodo

WANTED: Seed Round Robin/ Spring Swap seed bin

mrsfrodo
18 years ago

At the Spring Swap, seeds were exchanged in a bin- kind of like the coupon bin at the super-market. There were plenty of seeds remaining--- lots of heirloom tomatos, flowers and other goodies. I promised a round robin seed exchange with the extra seeds and thought it might be time to get it started.

LilyNut described a Seed Round Robin well. A box/packet of seeds is sent around to a list of those interested. You just replace as many seeds as you take out of the box, hopefully with different seeds. The travels of the packet is tracked on the forum.

I'm hoping that come Sept. 29 (the Fall Swap), who ever has the seeds will be able to bring it to the swap.

So......Who's interested?

Comments (27)

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

Count me in.
    -HPD

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Can I do this if I wasn't at the spring swap? If so, I'm in!

• Lynn
    18 years ago

I'll join in.

WindsurfGirl

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

O.K., Mrs Frodo dropped off the box of seeds last Friday.
    Sorry for the delay.
    Rules of a Round Robin are simple, remove as many seed packs as you want, just contribute as many as you remove.
    I don't think we need to be very strict about that here, as the robin has quite a few seeds already, but use your good judgement.
    I will include a list of all seeds with the robin. The idea is to write down your garden web ID next to seeds that you take, and vice versa for those you contribute in return.
    This way if people have questions regarding specific seeds they can contact the person who gave the seeds via their garden web ID.

I listed Mrs Frodo as having contributed all seeds that were in the robin when she gave it to me, though I am sure many of these seeds were obtained at the spring swap.

There are only 2 people listed right now for the robin to be sent to, so let's try to drum up some interest.

There are a number of heirloom seed packs including tomatoes, peppers, squash, morning glories, etc.
    I highly recommend signing up for this, as worse case scenario is you find nothing you want (doubtful) and spend the price of shipping it on to the next person.

Oh, and I was too lazy to write out individual seed packs for some seeds, and just put in one bulk pack of seeds- take what you want fron these and send on the rest.

Owiebrain, you're the first person to post so email me your address and I'll send you the robin on Saturday.
    WindSurferGirl is next, then we need more people!

P.S. I think we should keep track of this thing on this thread, so post when you receive it, when and to whom you send it back to.

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Emailing you now, HPD. :-)

• sarab
    18 years ago

I was waiting to opt in on this until I was sure I'd have some seeds to contribute. Yesterday I finally got around to gathering seed from several plants--so count me in.

Thanks, yall!

sara

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

Great!
    I will send the seeds on to Owiebrain.
    Currently the list is short, and should be forwarded in this order:

HotPepperDad
    Owiebrain
    Windsurfgirl
    sarab

If you all don't mind, could you email your contact info on to the person above you in the list? Owiebrain has already
    sent me hers.
    Thanks to everyone for getting involved.
    I believe Mrs Frodo intends to bring the leftover seeds to the fall swap/tomato tasting.

-HPD

• woodsmokeinherhair
    18 years ago

okie dokie, I guess this is the official place to sign up ... (sorry, I still really new here! lol) so if I add my name to the bottom of the list ..

HotPepperDad
    Owiebrain
    Windsurfgirl
    sarab
    Woodsmokeinherhair

and then send the person above me an e-mail, I guess that will be the correct proceedure hu? lol

Thanks!

Woodsmokeinherhair

• robolink
    18 years ago

Yes! Count me in too.

HotPepperDad
    Owiebrain
    Windsurfgirl
    sarab
    Woodsmokeinherhair

robolink

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

Woodsmoke,
    No need to apologize. This is all about sharing.
    If you don't hear from me for awhile it's because I'll be out of town (business, unfortunately).

Owiebrain should be getting the robin soon, and she'll forward it to Windsurfgirl...etc.

Boy, my tomatoes are taking a beating right now.
    And I think I just lost most of my melons to wilt.
    Such a promising start and then...

-HPD

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

It arrived this evening. Holy cow! There are gobs of seeds in here! I just sat down to go through them all. Won't be able to make the post office before it closes tomorrow so it will be heading out on Monday. I'll post again to confirm after it goes bye-bye. :-)

Diane

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Hubby mailed it out this morning for me. He says he mailed it priority and with tracking or delivery confirmation "or something". I asked him for the tracking number so I could post it. Turns out the post office lady just wrote down the zip code of the destination. Argh! I'll check over the receipt when he gets home to see if there's a tracking number on it somewhere. Regardless, it's on its way to Windsurfgirl!

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

0302 2940 0001 5756 1711 Hubby found the tracking number. Hopefully, no typos in there.

• Lynn
    18 years ago

I got the box! yipee!
    Sarab you need to email me your address.

WindsurfGirl

• mrsfrodo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm so excited the round robin is going well. Special thanks to HPD. I dropped the box off--- and essentially dropped the round robin in his lap. He really stepped up. I just returned from a glorious vacation in Alaska. I'll post pictures when I can- seems like no green thumb is needed. Plants just grow without help in the summer time in Alaska.

Again, thanks HPD for keeping the round robin on track!

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

Just got back from a 9 day trip of my own-unfortunately mostly business.
    But at least it was a great place to see green-Vermont next to the Connecticut river. It wasn't Alaka, but still it was nice.

Anyone know the whereabouts of the Robin?

• woodsmokeinherhair
    18 years ago

Windsurfgirl has it and it is on it's way to Sarab :) ... (and I'm next! yipee!)

Woodsmokeinherhair!

• Lynn
    18 years ago

I mailed the robin to Sara today.

WindsurfGirl

• sarab
    18 years ago

HPD, I'm jealous. Was it cooler? I'm not a winter lover but this heat is getting old. (Or maybe I am.)

sara

• sarab
    18 years ago

The round robin arrived today. Lots of great stuff there! HPD, you did a great job on the list.

I'll need a few days to get my contributions ready and added to the list. Then I'll send it on to Woodsmokeinherhair.

sara

• HotPepperDad
    18 years ago

Sara,
    Much cooler-but I had forgotten just how humid it is out there. And green, it was a jungle!
    I always laugh when I hear folks here speak of the "humidity".
    Certainly it is alot more humid than Colorado, Arizon and the rest of the southwest.
    But it is actually much much drier here than the east coast.
    It was usually between 68-72 degrees F in the mornings during my trip, yet I was dripping with sweat from the humidity.
    Oh well, there are weather issues no matter where you are, just got to learn how to deal with it. My tomatos all died while I was gone, yet I was able to start a new crop of squash for the fall, certainly couldn't do that in the northeast.
    Oh,and I emphasize it was "usually" humid during my trip. The 1st day I was there it was 75, dry, with a slight breeze-of course that was on the coast while wading in the surf at Rye beach.
    Sigh...

• sarab
    18 years ago

You're right, there are weather issues everywhere! I envy your day at the beach; sometimes I miss being close to a coastline.

Squashes, yum. I guess I'm ready for some cooler weather food. Roasted veggies, anyone?

BTW, I've really enjoyed the tomatoes from the plants you gave me at the swap. I'm already thinking about what varieties to grow next year.

thanks,
    sara

• woodsmokeinherhair
    18 years ago

hey Sarab ... I e-mailed you a few days ago, but haven't heard back from you. I still haven't seen the round robin seeds and I was wondering if you had mailed them yet. Let me know as I am getting anxious! lol

Woodsmokeinherhair!

• woodsmokeinherhair
    18 years ago

I got the seed box yesterday! WOW! lol .... there are lots of seeds in there! And I am happy to say, that there are no radish seed! (te he!) and I have lots of those so I can make a brand new contribution! lol. Hopefully, I will hear from robolink and send it on to her within the week! :)

Any more takers who wanna get in on these wonderful seeds?

Woodsmokeinherhair!

• robolink
    18 years ago

I received the seed box from woodsmoke today (Sept. 14). There were still several seeds in the box. Since there are no names following mine, how about I just bring the remains and what I have to add to the Fall Swap on the 24th?

Let me know what you think.
    robolink (Robin)

• owiebrain
    18 years ago

Hey, just wanted to announce that I'm a doofus.

I was going through my seed box for a trade recently. I came across the seeds I took out of the swap box. A couple of them have bazillions (!!) of seeds--enough for several people. I didn't pay attention to quantities when I got the swap box--just pulled out interesting things in a hurry so I could get it back in the mail.

Now that I realize just how many seeds were in a couple of them, I feel horrible! So, I'm going to take the excess to the swap in OKC. What's left after that, I'll post on this board (with some of mine I was planning on giving away anyway) as freebies.

Whew! I feel better now! LOL

Diane

• mrsfrodo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Robin,

I think it would great to have the seeds at the swap. Then we can add to the box, and maybe start another round in the spring right before planting season starts.

See you next Saturday!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA