Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Jade Plant in a Shallow Pot

rjj1
19 years ago

Last October a few plants were moved from one bench to another. One was a very top-heavy Crassula ovata "HummelÂs Sunset" that had not been thinned or pruned since started as a cutting in the summer of 2002. The next day it looked like this.

{{gwi:1075136}}
Being a person that loves to prune things and grow plants in containers, especially very shallow containers, I went for it. This is what it looked like after being pruned.

{{gwi:23046}}
Yesterday I decided it was time to pot it up, or down in this case. I pulled it out of the 3 gallon Rootmaker and took a butcher knife to the roots to give me a flat base to work with. IÂve done this in the past numerous times with this species with no ill effects.

{{gwi:463994}}
This rectangular glazed Korean pot I had laying around is a good color match for the bloom and the legs on the pot help tie in trunk to the pot. The jade is 24" tall and the trunk is 2" in diameter.

{{gwi:1075139}}
Those who partake in bonsai tend to frown on my tastes. This is an unconventional species that most knowledgeable hobbyist shy away from. Too bad for them :-). If I spent my time waiting for others to tickle my fancy, IÂd not have to chance to get the last laugh.

randy

Comments (6)