Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Echinocactus grusonii

rjj1
19 years ago

I started a few Golden Barrel cactus from seed a few years ago and was admiring how well theyÂve done today. The color of the spines, skin, and hair makes a beautiful contrast and a nice photo. This plant is about 6" round.

A little closer.

IÂm dying to start moving things outdoors, but it looks like itÂs going to be another week.

randy

Comments (13)

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Impressed that you started the cactus from seed. They are beautiful. EP

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks EP. I do love to start things from cuttings or seed.

randy

• heidibird
    18 years ago

Beautiful!
    ~Heidi

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Heidi

Can't wait until it weighs as much as I do :-).

I love to take photos, but hate starting new threads. Seems like IÂm the only one here thatÂs a camera nut.

Starting to see a decent Bumble Bee population here. Two summers ago I didnÂt see a one.
    {{gwi:1075224}}
    My Dwarf Pomegranate is starting to bloom. I was able to start a few from seed from the fruit over the winter.
    {{gwi:1075226}}
    One of my blooming Aloes. Hope to cross it with my Aloe vera that should have blooms open in a few days.
    {{gwi:1075228}}
    randy

• Lynn
    18 years ago

You take the BEST pictures! Thanks for sharing those.
    I like to take pictures and have quite a few, but mine aren't as good as yours. I just can't find the time to post alot either. :(

WindsurfGirl

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks WindsurfGirl

It's something I love doing. Growing tropical weeds probably tops it by a hair, or a leaf :-).

randy

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Great pics. I really like the pomegranate one.

I will have to take more pics this summer. The bubble bees aren't here yet but I expect them anyday now that the May Night salvia is blooming. They love that!

• leaper
    18 years ago

Love the blooming aloe. Lovely pictures. I like to take pictures too but my quality can't match yours. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing them.
    Leap

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    18 years ago

Randy,

I love your pics.

I promise to take and post pictures myself after college-aged son returns from college in a couple of weeks with our digital camera.

I don't know that the quality of my photos will ever come close to yours, though. Keep posting pics and inspiring us, please! You grow so many beautiful and unusual plants!

Dawn

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

It kind of like a lot of things in life, the more you do it, the better you get. If you're a nut case that walks around with a camera in your hand all the time, you might accidentally take a decent picture on occasion :-).

randy

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had an unknown Matucana in bloom the other day. I love the color on it.
    {{gwi:461864}}
    randy

• ChlorophyllJill
    18 years ago

Gosh, I should be getting to bed. Can't seem to sleep. And your totally cool pictures aren't helping! You must have quite a green thumb to have such show worthy plants! I love to start things from seed, too, but I'm not sure I've had as much luck as you ;) I love cacti and succulents - actually anything that's unusual - and C & S fit the bill there, for sure! Your Matucana is beautiful - I do love those colors.

Enjoyed your pictures immensely! Keep sharing! I am a camera nut, too - love close-up shots, but my camera is not all that great. Sometimes I get a good pic, sometimes I get a good pic of the gravel in the pot or something. I may THINK my camera is focusing on the intended target, when in reality it's focusing on something else. One day I'll get a really good digital camera and take pictures like you!

• rjj1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks!

I need to hurry up and wear this one out so I can get a little better one :-)

randy