Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub of Herbs (as opposed to Tale of a Tub)

Posted by wise1_ok z7OK (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 12:20

Awhile back, I posted a message about galvanized tubs and using them to grow things in, especially herbs and such that would be eaten. Anyway, I thought I'd share a picture or two of the "tub of herbs."

Image link: Tub of Herbs (as opposed to Tale of a Tub) (26 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub of Herbs (as opposed to Tale of a Tub)

Thanks. What herbs are you growing? EP

o

Let's see. I have woolly thyme, lemon thyme, marjoram, italian parsley, oregano, rosemary and sage. I always wondered what happened to the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme without the oregano and other herbs too. I keep watering them during this hot, dry spell because I sure don't want the things to die, but they aren't really growing much either. Are they just all slow growers? Do you think I should cultivate a spot where I can plant the herbs directly into the ground and have a dedicated herb garden? Any advice is appreciated.

Bertha

o

I feel they will soon outgrow the tub. We have several Arp rosemary and they are small shrubs now. The others will spread too. Italian parsley is biennial. The seeds also have a good flavor for use in soups. Have been harvesting seed from ours. I also like lovage. The leaves have a strong celery flavor and the seeds also have a good flavor. That is a good collection. EP

o

My herbs do best in my sandy soil with some filtered shade in the hot afternoons. And even though they don't like their feet standing in water, they do like to be misted. My Thymes and Marjoram do best in filtered sunlight and like to be watered often, providing they have good drainage.
I had a whiskey barrel filled with herbs several years ago. I set it at the edge of my patio by the back door so I could go out and get snippets of herbs for cooking, even in the winter. I put plastic over it when it got bitter cold. The patio is in the shade in the afternoons, and the herbs thrived.

I just hate it that EP is quitting the GW. I just love looking at all the beautiful photos of their gorgeous place.
Darn it to heck, anyhow!

~SweetAnnie4u

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here