Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twotulsaleos

Can someone verify this is a peach tree?

twotulsaleos
10 years ago

We recently purchased 2 overgrown acres and found two of these trees together in the middle of the land. I think they are peach trees? They have thorns though and I have not seen peach trees with thorns in Georgia where I am from.

Here is a second photo of the bark. If they are Honey Locust and are on the edge of the driveway I guess we have to cut them down as I heard as the thorns drop they will go through car tires.

Thanks for the information. My husband will cut it down today.

This post was edited by twotulsaleos on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 10:29

Comments (8)

• Macmex
    10 years ago

I bet they are Honey Locust. Definitely not peaches!

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/iowa_trees/trees/honeylocust.html

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I'm with George, not peaches. Honey locusts have long thorns, Black locusts short ones, more like rose bushes. Those look long.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Honey locusts often (I won't say 'always' but at our house it is 'always') send up suckers from the roots, and trees cut off at the ground will resprout. Before you know it, you'll have more honey locust trees than you started out with.

We remove the ones that sprout by the house and garage, but have left a large clump of them a couple hundred feet from the house because they are good bee trees.

If you don't want to have to deal with stumps resprouting and with suckers popping up everywhere, you can treat the stumps with a very strong brush-killer type herbicide like picloram, which is found in Tordon. Picloram has a history of persisting in the soil a long time, and its residue can survive the digestive tract of animals that eat grasses sprayed with it, and the residue can persist after those animals' manure is composted, so never put anything sprayed with picloram in your compost pile. I garden as organically as I can and don't like using synthetic chemicals of any sort, but there are times when you have to use something strong like picloram to put an end to the endless suckering and resprouting of plants like honey locust trees.

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

If you don't want to use a strong poison, you may eventually be able to kill it by mowing over it all summer, every summer until no more sprouts come up. When the shoots first come up they are tender so won't poke tires.

• okie92281
    10 years ago

Looks like a wild plum to me, they usually have a few thorns. Bark also looks like a wild cherry, but don't remember ever seeing one with thorns before.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I would be hesitant to cut any tree until it leafed out and I could then decide if it was undesirable. It takes a long time to grow a tree to be that size. Most trees are beneficial in some way.

• Thomas licavoli
    3 years ago

My peach tree has huge

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I will go with what the others have said. I will not say it is a honey locust , I would like to see the leaves first. My advice is, if it is a honey locust is to spray or paint the stump when you cut it. Mine have always come back, for years. I have sprayed the small ones with Glyphosate, and a 50/50 mixture of glyphosate and 2 4 D. They look dead but will still come back. cutting them down is not the answer, unless you can cut them down often. Brush hogging the down once a year is not enough, they will still get large enough to grow thorns before the next cutting, the thorns are murder on tractor and truck tires. I have had some of the high powered killer like Dawn is talking about for a few years, but afraid to use it because the trees are along a creek bank and I dont want to get the chemical in the water. I have some that I want to make a very long drill bit and drill holes into the trunk and squirt the chemical into the trunk. The trees are so thorny you cant get close to them. I dont like to use chemicals , but in many cases I have to. I am about ready to mix up gal and go spray the ones I can spray safely.

The good news is, it does not look like my Honey Locust. I dont see well, but I did not see thorns in the picture. My Honey Locust that size would have thorns all over it, big thorns!