Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Wind Advisory

chickencoupe
10 years ago

"25-35mph wind with gusts up to 55mph". It's pushing wind through the double paned windows!

We're avoiding the wood stove. It's not very cold now and won't be too bad for the rest of this night.

National Weather Service

Comments (5)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

When I saw the Wind Advisory on the forecast page this morning, I was just really relieved it wasn't going into effect until 10 p.m. We were able to work outside in beautiful sunny weather with a high temperature of 71 degrees and very little wind until late in the afternoon. Even the wind we had was nothing compared to what it will be like overnight tonight once the front reaches here and tomorrow as well. Our point forecast only shows probable maximum gusts of 41 mph overnight and 39 mph tomorrow. Since we don't have any young, tender vegetation up and growing, there's nothing for the wind to shred and destroy at least!

I'll link the map showing the maximum wind gust for each reporting Mesonet station for the current day. It is pretty amazing someone has had a 57 mph gust tonight. That can bring down trees or limbs, especially weak ones.....and it goes without saying that if fires start in that kind of weather, they will be incredibly hard to control. Usually, if we have wind gusts of 50 or higher in our county, a lot of dust starts blowing, and a few power poles snap and bring down lines....that spark fires. I want for that to NOT happen tonight so we all can sleep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maximum Wind Gust Map

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Without looking I saw Tulsa police and fire were sent to contain a grass fire.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm with you on the instinct. Not that hip with raising garden veggies, yet, but Oklahoma weather seems intrinsic to my nerves. I haven't started any seedlings and I expect cool crop failures from dropping temperatures and rain (yea, I know - it's weird for us). I guess I'll continue to focus on building bed areas and getting the warm season crops in on the right time. I can shoot for fall cool crops if they fail.

I might start some cabbage atop the fridge in a few days and see how they do. I'm wearing shoes over our uninsulated floors. I doubt anything would fair well even in house.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

There were quite a few fires statewide overnight and there are more today in the strong winds.

We had a big one here where they paged all the fire departments in the county to come to it. I think that specific fire had the potential to get out of hand really fast, but a big response not only by the firefighters in our county but by some from an adjacent county as well, helped them knock down the fire before it could reach the small town it was moving towards. Our wind here seems like it is calming down quite a lot in the last hour or so, but it still feels miserably cold out there to me.

I can see a lot of deadfall that has come down from the trees on the edge of the woodland, so we will have some cleaning up to do on a day that has nicer weather than this.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad they got that fire out quickly.

We fired up the stove about 5am. Been pretty calm this morning and without too much added work for us in the yard.