Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wbonesteel

Spring garden planning:

wbonesteel
10 years ago

I don't -yet- have a serious plan for our spring garden. But I do have that itch to begin serious planning, even in the midst of this cold, blustery weather.

A kind soul among you has sent us a few persimmon seeds. All but a few of those seeds have been planted. The survivors will be separated and replanted next fall. When the time seems right, we'll force the rest of those seeds with a damp paper towel in a plastic bag in the fridge.

We're going to plant at least one plant each of raspberry and blackberry next spring, as well - we hope. Mebbe a few horseradishes, as well as a red currant.

During the next semi-warm spell we have this winter, we need to move the heritage rose - now being surrounded by the roots of the Chinese elm tree - so that it will have a chance to survive and grow.

We're also thinking about soil pH -and which products to use - in the flower and garden beds. Soil pH here is a bit high for my comfort, as well as for the comfort of many of the veggies I like to grow.

Most of our flower beds are stuffed full of bulbs and perennials, at this point, but there'll be some alyssum in the front flower beds that will be transplanted to other beds around the property. We still have a number of lavender plants to buy for the lavender bed, as well as another half a dozen rose bushes.
Now, is also time to look at the seeds we have on hand and decide which seeds we should buy for the growing season.

There are also plans to buy things we'll need in order to store the veggies we'll harvest this summer and fall.

We have finished our fall and winter pruning, as well. The strawberries were thinned out and transplanted to other beds. We've pruned the butterfly bushes, in an attempt to force a central trunk out of the mess.

The fruit trees have all been properly pruned for next season. They were all were very young when we planted them, so we may not see anything out of them for another year or two.

Veggies? So far, we've only talked about squash, but we have only just begun to think about our plans for the spring garden.

What are you thinking about for spring and the growing season?

Comments (16)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Glad to know you got the persimmon seeds planted. Those seeds came from a tree that ripened large persimmons early, so I hope you get a couple offspring with those traits.

We still have our orchard and rose pruning to do.

The main theme of this coming year's garden will be "Downsize!" I have been saying it for years and not followed through, but this year I am determined. I raised too many potatoes last year. There are still some shriveled small ones under the bed, which DH insists I use up before I buy any. I also raised too much broccoli, tomatoes and cucumbers. Got all the broccoli frozen but ended up giving away lots of tomatoes. We will always raise a lot of snap peas and corn because the grandkids love them and daughter doesn't have enough space to raise them.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I haven't even started garden planning this year. Usually by now, I've made grow lists, ordered seeds, etc. This year, I've done nothing, nada, zilch. I need to see if rain is going to continue to fall before I make too many plans. Last year we were in drought before planting time even started, stayed in drought until after the garden had frozen, and I am tired of endlessly fighting drought. If we don't get good rainfall before planting time, I'll plant a much smaller garden.

My plan is to downsize too, Dorothy. Last year I grew too much of almost everything. So, my plan is to put mostly ornamental plants in the new back garden this year, though I likely still will use the garden fence as trellises for vining crops. I'll probably plant more tomatoes this year than last year though because we are running out of salsa.

I really want to have a good fruit year, but that is weather-dependent.

I doubt I really need to buy any seeds anyway, so I haven't been in a hurry to do my planning and seed ordering. My seed boxes are overflowing. I just need to sit still long enough to make the grow lists and see if I have seeds of everything I want to grow this year. I think that I do.

I might plant a few fruit trees in the new back garden, but if I do, I'll have to plant them in underground gopher cages. We don't have gophers, but we have voles in the woods, and last year they almost killed a fig tree by devouring its roots in June. I saved it by digging it up and putting it in a large molasses feed tub. It had almost no root system left at all, so I am amazed it recovered. The voles weren't really a problem for us in the yard or garden for most of the years we've been here, but ever since the horrible summer of 2011, they've been a huge issue. I guess that drought drove them up of the woods and into our irrigated areas and they must have decided to stay.

Dawn

• Shelley Smith
    10 years ago

I've been working on my list too. I have very limited space in my backyard so my goal this year is to plant smarter so I can grow the most food possible in the space I have. This will be my fourth year gardening but I still feel like a total beginner as all I've learned so far is how much I still need to learn lol! I have learned more here at this forum than in all the books and other websites combined though.

Here is my list so far:

Kale - have seeds for dwarf blue curled and would like to try one other - any suggestions? For some reason kale doesn't do well for me and I can't figure out why. Of course this will be for late winter through spring, then again in the fall I have had zero luck with broccoli and cauliflower so I'm really hoping I can grow kale.

Spinach - this is one crop that I can grow very well. In fact, I have some right now that has survived all this cold weather, snow and ice and still looks perfect. Fresh Leaf is my favorite, I also have Avon Hybrid and would like to try a more heat tolerant variety - maybe Renegade or Lavewa... any other recommendations? I'm not as fond of the really crinkly kinds since they are so hard to clean.

Lettuce - another one that I have really good luck with in the late winter through spring and again in the fall. Romaine (Parris Island), Buttercrunch, Salad Bowl and Lolla Rossa do well for me. I'm intrigued with the red lettuces, romaines in particular, but they seem to be harder to grow.

Peas - I love the edible podded peas but never seem to have much luck getting a crop before it gets too hot. This year I'm going to try starting them ahead of time and planting them out real early. I've tried Oregon Sugar Pod and Super Sugar Snap so far. Need to get a trellis set up ahead of time this year (cattle panels along the back fence).

Beets - I've had some success with these when I get them planted early enough. I'm trying Tall Top Early Wonder this year.

Carrots - I have terrible luck with these. I guess getting them planted early enough is the key. If I plant them in the spring they don't seem to grow very big and they get bitter when it turns hot. In the fall it is hot and dry too late in the year to get them sprouted in time so they can grow before the days get to short. I'll keep trying - I have Danver Half Long and Scarlet Nantes (thinking about trying some little ones this time, and amending my soil since it tends to be hard).

Radish - These do ok for me - French Breakfast is my favorite.

Beans - I made the mistake of planting these too late thinking they were a warm season crop. I have Kentucky Blue and will try them again this year only much earlier.

Potatoes - I know these aren't a great use of the space and they are cheap to buy, but I love homegrown Yukon Gold so will find room for a few plants anyway. My production isn't very good so I'm going to try something different this year - a tall box that you add soil to as the potatoes grow. Worth a try...

Sweet potatoes - I have some tiny ones left over so I'm going to try starting my own slips this year. I have Red Gold and Dianne. They grew better last year than in previous year but still production is lower than it should be. Maybe planting earlier will help (I usually plant in late May).

Peppers - I've about given up on bell peppers I have much better luck with jalapenos and poblanos, but I don't like hot stuff so I found a couple of low heat varieties of jalapeno (Fooled Ya and TAM Mild). The first one is pretty much heat free, but has great flavor.Last year was my first time trying poblano and I liked them too. I will start my own peppers this year. I'd like to grow enough to freeze and/or dry.

Tomatoes - Last year my best one by far was Sun Gold - I LOVED the flavor and that plant was incredibly productive. Black Cherry is a close second for flavor. I will definitely grow those two again this year. I prefer cherry/grape to slicing ones for fresh eating but I would also like to make tomato sauce, salsa and maybe some sundried tomatoes this year. I'm looking at Cherry Falls and Tiny Tim for containers to get an earlier start, and some early producing varieties like Sub-Arctic Plenty, plus Siberian or Early Doll, hoping to get a crop before the heat hits. For canning, Heidi for sure and probably San Marzano. Part of the problem I've had is getting only a few at a time, not enough to can at one time, so I'm going focus more on determinate varieties this year. For drying, I'd like to try Principe' Borghese. Would really appreciate any suggestions on varieties to try. I don't have very many seeds and hate being limited to what's available as transplants, so I will be ordering new varieties this year.

I have no luck with squash so I want to try Seminole Pumpkin this year based on recommendations of others here.

Haven't found a cucumber that grows for me yet but would like to try a bush type that doesn't take up too much space. I like the little cucumbers.

Okra - not a huge fan but it grows so well here I'm determined to learn to like it. The plants are beautiful. I may grow them in the front since they are so pretty. Last year I grew melons and sweet potatoes under the okra and the two seemed to grow pretty well together. I grew Baby Bubba last year and loved that one as it didn't get too tall. I have seeds for Burgundy which might look nice in the front bed. Might try another dwarf variety with red pods, Little Lucy II, this year.

Melons - I have Heart of Gold (cantaloupe) and Sugar Baby (watermelon) but would like to try a smaller charentais melon that I can trellis along the fence. I have decent luck with melons usually.

I also have some garlic I planted last fall. Hope it is still alive out there...

Well, that's about it for me. Would love to read everyone else's lists!

Shelley

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawn, while the drought is disheartening... I'm not much for quitting, really. I'm a romanticist who likes to tilt at windmills, even when I know that they aren't really dragons, at all. Don't get me wrong. I know when to walk away from a fight, but this drought hasn't got me whipped, just yet. I'm gonna need more mulch, though. ;)

I think one of the two biggest problems I'll have this year is trying to lower the pH enough to grow something besides squash and sweet potatoes. Last year, nothing seemed to produce as well as it should've, and I'm sure that a part of the reason is the high pH in our soil. I'll attack the problem two ways, using iron sulfate and magnesium sulfate. I'll mix one of them, wait a few weeks and mix the other - keeping in mind that I use a shovel and mix the soil at a depth of ten to twelve inches. The flower beds will get it as a top dressing, in two different applications a few weeks apart. The other thing the soil in our gardens needs is some composted manure, and that's mostly for the nitrogen.

The second biggest problem is that moles are getting a little too frisky in our front garden, along with the ants, so we'll likely nuke 'em all this spring. I don't like the idea of the moles eating all of those earthworms and tearing up my nice little semi-formal garden. The ants got *way* too many of our strawberries, last year, as well. Plus, when those fire ants swarm ya, it stings a bit.

This year, the asparagus will be ready to harvest! I can taste it, now... If I get the chance, I want to plant some Jersey Knight, to go along with the Mary Washington and the Purple Passion.

MK, I sincerely appreciate those persimmon seeds. I'll do what I can to make ya proud!

Shelley, I haven't made up a list, yet. I'll be doing that this month, and I'll offer another rambling, stream of consciousness post about spring garden plans, later on.

ooh, garlic! The garlic we planted last fall is doing great, so far. The sage is taking the cold like a trooper, while the rosemary is a bit burnt. All of the mint has been burnt, but I won't know how bad it is until spring. The ornamental alliums finally came up last fall, and they are shrugging off the cold weather, so far. The lavender was looking great until after that first hard frost. Now, I'll just wait until spring to see if they come back, any.

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Wheelbone, what variety of lavender are you growing? I can't get plants to make it past 2 years or so. I got a catalog from Burpee that has a new cultivar called 'Phenomenal' they say does well in heat & humidity. When it comes to drought hardy plants, I do much better with plants coming from desert-like conditions than Mediterranean conditions. Texas plants are usually a very good bet and there are lots of really gorgeous garden worthy native perennials and shrubs coming out of Texas.

My prostrate rosemary that has done well for years took a hard hit from the single digit cold temperatures, usually its blooming and covered in bees this time of year but now its all black, hopefully the top or just the leaves got it but they all look pretty bad. I took several cuttings off my upright one that didn't suffer any damage to replace plants if I need to, I have them rooting inside. Unlike lavender, rosemary does very well for me.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

word of warning on the horseradish....it can be a THUG :) On the silver lining side, it grows well!

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GP: This will be the second year for the English lavender. There's eight to ten inches of compost and peat moss in that bed, but we'll have to wait 'til spring to see if and when it comes back.

Lisa: Horseradish tends to spread, but I have a couple or three beds where that won't be too much of a problem. They might take over the bed I put them in, but they won't be spreading out of that bed.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Lisa, you are right about horseradish being a thug. I had some in containers but setting on the ground. I had a hard time picking up the containers, then heard a pop, as the root broke off below the container. It had rooted through the small holes in the pot and has continued to grow there for 3 years. LOL

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Good. I picked up two seed packets today, one Lavender 'vera' (Lavendula vera) and the other Lavender hidcote (L. angustifolia). When I got home and googled them I find they are both English Lavender and I am not really sure there is a difference or much of one. Anyway, it was so nice out I visited TLC nursery and picked up these and some other seeds and some more starter mix to add to my ever expanding collection of pots I'm sowing.

I never had trouble getting lavender through winter myself, it was when it got very humid and hot in summer that the mature plants always seem to die a slow death. Mine are in well draining sandy soil. I think its the humidity?

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GP: The dirt here is mostly clay. As I mentioned, the lavender bed has a lot of compost mixed into it, with about three to four inches of mulch on top of that. It holds moisture fairly well, all things considered. Growth slowed during the hottest part of the summer weather, but did not stop. Watered them about once, mebbe twice a week. We'll see how they do this year.

• OKgrowin
    10 years ago

started germinating my pepper seeds
    bought my grow bags, fert
    still looking for good soilmix parts (5-1-1)

going to lay out my bags on 80ft of south facing fence
    i'm debating whether to get a cheap water timer that can do 30 minutes every 3 days and whether to rig up a drip line or some sprinklers

besides my peppers i'll probably put some blackberries, annual flowers, and keep my crape myrtles alive. I've been thinking about replacing a random tree on the side of my property with a fruit tree or pecan tree.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Oh I have plans .. yes, indeedy. Trying to keep in mind it'll be a learning experience. It'll be near impossible if I don't acquire some type of irrigation, but I'll still try.

wbonsteel, I'm looking forward to utilizing some of your eggsellent eggsamples in symmetry for the front yard and the small grain patches, at least.

I'll have all of the customary garden veggies, but I hope to acquire some luffah sponge thingies, too. I'm really liking the idea of using luffas in place of store-bought cleaning supplies. Were it not for my sweet corn seed-saving adventure next year I'd grow some broomstick corn, too.

garbanzos!
    Egyptian spinach (is on its way)
    sesame (maybe)
    bantam corn for seed... lots of those!
    Cover crop radishes. Should be interesting!
    Cover crop grains
    Rabbit fodders

I'm really trying to just have fun and not get too serious (yeah, like I can do that)

and OH, all the pretty flowers Lisa sent me along with sunflowers and a sunflower house :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

wbonesteel, I've never yet let a drought year keep me from having a garden, but I certainly have reached the point some years where I just stopped watering and let the garden sink or swim on its own. I also try to plan better now if we have drought before planting season even begins, and will plant less so that I have less to irrigate and will plant varieties with shorter DTMs so they can produce a harvest before the worst summer heat sets in. Sometimes it really isn't even the watering that is an issue---it is that extreme drought brings extreme fires and I stay too busy at times like that to even harvest the garden because I'm not home long enough to do it. If I am not at home enough to harvest, there's no point in running up a higher water bill watering a garden I'm too busy to step foot in. Fortunately, we only have that sort of really awful drought summer with rampant fires every now and then. If it was an issue every year, I'd have to either give up gardening or resign from the VFD because in the severe drought/wildfire years, I can't do both.

I mulch like a crazy woman throughout the garden season. I scrounge up old spoiled hay, rake up bags of leaves in fall and winter and save them, use the grass catcher on the lawn mower to catch grass clippings to use for mulch, use bark mulch if I can get it, etc. One year some friends of ours brought me 60 bales of old hay. They didn't even call first---just showed up with a trailer load and said "here it is". It was in the springtime and I was thrilled. I thought that hay would last me forever, so I put it down thick on all the raised beds and in all the pathways, and used it up in one week. As I was spreading the last bale, I kept thinking to myself that I couldn't believe I'd already spread all that hay on the ground. Still, it gave me a good base of mulch and then I just kept piling on more stuff all summer long. That particular family didn't spray their fields with herbicides so I was able to use that hay without waiting a year or two to let any possible herbicide residues worktheir way out of the hay. Some years (the rainier ones) the mulch breaks down faster than I can replenish it. In dry years it is much slower to decompose, so I guess that is one good thing about dry years.

Soil pH is always an issue for me because even our local water tests around 8.2 to 8.3. I add tons of compost and other organic matter and add magnesium. Correcting pH also is one of those never-ending chores, but in beds that I've worked with for a long time, the pH is a lot better now than it was when we first moved here. At least I feel like I've made progress in that area.

Ants are hard to deal with. I try to leave the native fire ants alone because they will somehow either kill or drive off the imported fire ants. When imported fire ants get into my raised garden beds, I do try to get rid of them since I don't especially enjoy having them climbing all over me biting me. I use an organic fire ant product called Concern, which contains spinosad and that seems to work fairly well most years. It comes in fairly small bottles and we have acreage, so I order a case at a time. Some years I use Garrett Juice to which I've added orange oil. I have a bottle of Medina Orange Oil in my shed at all times because it is pretty useful for some types of pest control, although at stronger concentrations it is a herbicide (and at really strong concentrations it strips paint). We'll never be free of the fire ants though. All I try to do is keep them out of places where I grow things.

Shelley, You're so much farther ahead in your planning than I am. My favorite spinach is plain old Bloomsdale Longstanding but I also like to grow the red-stemmed ones like Bordeaux.

Bell peppers are pickier about the heat than hot peppers, but I usually manage to get a good first round of bell peppers in June just about the time I am making salsa. Those are from the first blossoms that formed on the plants. Then there sometimes is a fairly long period when the bells aren't producing much if the weather is really hot, but they always hang in there and start fruiting really well as the weather cools in late summer or early autumn. Blushing Beauty is one that produces really heavily for me even in hot weather, and I like to site my bells where they get only about 4-6 hours of direct sun. They produce better for me with that amount of light than they do with 10-12 hours of direct sunlight. Bell peppers just aren't crazy about our heat. The mini-bells produce all summer no matter what for me, kinda like cherry and other bite-sized tomatoes don't slow down in the heat.

With a smaller garden, it can be hard to get enough tomatoes at one time to can them, but you can throw your paste tomatoes into freezer zip-lock bags after you harvest and wash them and freeze them whole. Just keep adding the paste tomatoes to zip-lock bags and freeze them until you have enough. When you get enough tomatoes to can, thaw them out and use them. I do it all the time. In 2012 when we had a ridiculously huge tomato harvest, I canned several hundred jars of tomato stuff (salsa, pizza sauce, tomato sauce, pasta sauce, catsup, chili base, etc.) and still had tons of tomatoes, so I froze enough to make 14 batches of salsa later on after we had used up some stuff and had empty canning jars again. In that case, I went ahead and processed the tomatoes, running them through the strainer and freezing them in the exact amount per gallon-sized freezer ziplock bag needed for a batch of salsa. You don't always have to can stuff when it is fresh. Some things can be frozen until you have enough to can, or until you have enough time to can them.

Cucumbers can be tricky here because we have so many cucumber beetles that spread disease most years. I generally only grow the pickling types and I plant tons of them all at once so I can get all my pickle-making done in a fairly compact time period---usually a 4 to 8-week period. I grow County Fair every year because it is the most disease-tolerant cuke I've ever found, but I grew a couple of varieties that were new to me last year and they did equally well. Sumter, in particular, was a very heavy producer and was almost as disease-tolerant as County Fair. Some years I harvest the Armenian cucumbers (which technically are melons) small and pickle them.

Bon, I grew luffas just for fun one year and they grew well and produced heavily. I try to grow something unusual like that every year. My favorite broomcorn is one that is sold as Mixed Colors. I think it is just a blend of a lot of OP broom corns in different colors. It grew 12-14 feet tall the first year I grew it. That was in a fairly rainy summer when everything did well with virtually no irrigation. It didn't get quite as large the second year, but it still grew well and looked pretty. I generally bundle the seed heads together and use them for autumn decorations.

Dawn

• jlhart76
    10 years ago

I've been a long time lurker and part time poster, but after taking two years off of gardening I'd really like to get back into it. I only have two small issues. First, my soon to be (next month) husband and I are looking to move sometime this year so anything I plant has to be easily moved. Second, the two monstrosities we call dogs have completely destroyed the backyard garden, so everything I plant will have to be potted. So by necessity I'm going to have to stay small and be willing to leave it all behind if we can't move it. I definitely want some herbs, and may just stick with them since they're pretty hardy. Throw in a few veggies that I can leave, and some flowers to make it pretty.

• Shelley Smith
    10 years ago

Hi and welcome! I'm still learning myself, but I can really relate to what you said about your dogs demolishing your garden. That has been one of my biggest struggles... and I have built several fences around my garden area. The last one seems to be keeping them out - for now!

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that Swallowtail Garden Seeds has a lot of tomatoes and peppers that are suited for containers. I've never seen so many container types offered on one site before. I am working on an order and will be trying a few of these.

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Garden Seeds

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

J.,

Welcome back!

I've been wondering where you were.

Congratulation on your upcoming wedding.

I understand the dog issue. I love our dogs, but they are almost 100% banned from the garden. Even when they are trying to be good, they inevitably decide to dig out a nice little cool spot to lie down, or to bury a bone, or whatever, and back to the fenced dog yard they go. Gardening with dogs can be frustrating. Of course, all my garden spots are fenced to keep out the wildlife and that keeps out the dogs as well. Every now and then I relent and let the oldest dog go into the garden with me. He is pretty calm, so if I can get him to settle down and sleep in the shade of the entry arbor, he usually doesn't destroy anything....but he has to leave the garden and come up to the house with me when I leave it. I still wouldn't trust him in there alone.

I like Swallowtail Garden Seeds and the do have lots of veggies (and flowers) that are compact and appropriate for containers, but you cannot hold Shelley and I responsible if you go to their website and want to buy 1 of everything they have. They've got a terrific selection of everything, and they ship really quickly. I've always gotten good results from the seeds.

Dawn