Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdish11

Introducing myself to the Oklahoma gang

nerdish11
10 years ago

Hey everyone, my name is Jeremy or you can call me Nerdish. I recently moved here (about a year or so ago) from my beloved state of Texas. I work as a machinist at Kimray in OKC. My gf and I have a small collection of plants but plan to be expanding that this year. Currently we have a crinum lily, 4 black diamond crepe myrtles (2 red 2 white) 2 Texas star hibiscus and 2 black hybrid dwarf hibiscus. The spacing between everything leaves the garden bed looking a bit bare so we plan to add some daylilys into the mix to help fill in the gaps. Any suggestions on what daylilys to get? I am a bit of an amature green thumb so any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I like the reblooming ones. They're usually a bit smaller than the big once-blooming ones, but it's a good trade off to me. Stella d'Oro is yellow, Purple d'Oro purple of course. Pardon Me is deep brick red. I also have a pink rebloomer but have forgotten the name. You can search and find nurseries on line that will have a better selection than you can buy locally probably.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Jeremy. Glad to see you found us. any Daylilys will do just fine. In Fact most all Lilys should be good too.I used to grow Oriental Lilys and had great luck. 'Stargazer is my favorite. I also grow many different canna lily if you want more height and size.

Of course they are many many different annuals that do great here that you could fill those gaps in with also.

which direction does your garden face?

mike

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Hiya Jeremy. Lisa will probably chime in on the flowers.

Welcome to the gang.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Hi Jeremy! Welcome! I have friends who also work at Kimray...small world!

Daylilies would would a good filler. Stella d'Oros are the easiest ones to get your hands on. They are the yellow (shorter) daylilies that you will see in a lot of landscapes.

My crinum is really, really big. Make sure you leave room for the leaves.

Here's a link to one of my photo albums of my yard. It might give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard Shots

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

My crinum is in the center:

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Welcome, Jeremy, to this friendly corner of the interwebs! Daylilies are are a pretty plant, and also one that needs to be divided occasionally so they are easy to share with other gardeners. In fact, if you see someone who is growing them, you might ask if you could come take a few divisions for your yard - a great way to inexpensively build up your landscaping!

Daylilies are so named because the blooms last only one day (or just about). So having a variety of types that bloom at different times will help keep the interest going in your yard.

Although I like them, my husband isn't a fan of regular daylilies (I'm thinking of the common orange one, sometimes called ditchlily because they grow in ditches here!), because he thinks the foliage looks messy (which is what see a lot of the time, as most daylilies only have blooms on them for about a month or so).

The "repeat" bloomers people mention above, like the d'Oro series, has tidier, smaller foliage and although the bloomers are smaller and in less quantity, it will bloom several times over the course of the season rather than all at once.

I have usually had irises (another great plant to get from dividing with a friend) mixed around my daylilies, so that I have something that blooms earlier in the spring. When the irises are done, that's about the time the daylilies will begin to get themselves ready to bloom. Throw some ornamental grasses in the mix and you will have pretty seed heads that last into the fall and winter, so you are getting some four-season interest.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily info

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!