Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedbaize

Rain, Rain, Rain

ReedBaize
11 years ago

POURING in OKC. Dawn, you guys getting any?

Comments (17)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Reed,

Nope. Nada. Zero. Zilch. Often our weather is 6 to 12 hours behind yours at this time of year. We are so far south that it can take the rain a while to make it down here to us.

I'm glad you're getting rain. We all need rain in the worst possible way.

With all the different watches and warnings up on the NWS map, it looks like spring here. When you have Tornado Watches, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, High Wind Watches, Red Flag Fire Warnings and Fire Weather Watches all active at the exact same time, it must be spring, right?

The Qualitative Precipitation Forecast doesn't show us getting nearly as much rain as we'd like, but any rain at all is better than none.

Don't hog all that rain up there in central OK....be sure and leave some for the rest of us. : )

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pipeliner42
    11 years ago

Rain just moved past Geary this morning about 0800. Looks like we got about 1". Good rain, fell just right.

Trapper

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

It is a very noisy, spring-like rain here. I hope it's not raining so hard that most will run off rather than soak in, which is what we need.

I heard a little bit of hail, but not much.

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Trapper, One inch sounds so good.

Susan, I hope the hail wasn't big enough or strong enough to hurt roofs, cars, etc.

Oklahoma County---Y'all have had so much rain you now have a flood advisory. I've linked the text of the Flood Advisory.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Flood Advisory for Oklahoma County

• ReedBaize
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now, if it will only do that about twice a week for a few months I'd be perfectly happy.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

The mesonet said I should have had about an inch. I hope so! I've been needing to get out water, but it would require hauling out the hoses and unwrapping faucets. I hadn't forced myself to do it yet. Maybe this will give us a break for a while.

Lisa

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Hey, that's great news, Lisa. I hope you got that much and then get some more.

It has rained here y'all. Big, fat drops. It lasted about 30 seconds. I hope that's not the only rain we get.

• Nancy Fryhover
    11 years ago

I am so happy for you guys. I have kept an eye on the weather for OK and so glad to see this. Happy for my garden there too and hope it keeps coming!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Hey momfryhover,

How are things there?

I heard parts of your state have had some good rain this week?

Dawn

• Nancy Fryhover
    11 years ago

Here in the Hilo area, lack of rain is hardly ever a problem..LOL. But, yes, drought has effected many parts of the islands and they did get much needed rain. The west side of this island was in bad drought and they sadly didn't get the rain. Cattle ranchers are in big trouble. I have tried to plant cherry tomatoes and cilantro but something ate them!
    Believe it or not, gardening is hard here! And where we live, its mostly lava and you have to get bags of soil and make raised beds. There are areas of the islands that have soil, but bugs are a big, big problem so people use lots of chemicals. You would think here vegetable gardening would be easy, but not so.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

momfryhover,

Isn't it irritating to have rain miss the areas that really needed it?

I always figured gardening in Hawaii might be difficult because of the pests and because of some diseases that thrive in high humidity.

I'm sorry to hear that something ate your tomato and cilantro.

It is finally raining at our house, though not heavily. I expect we'll get maybe a half-inch to an inch depending on how long the rain keeps falling.

Tornado Warnings are up for some parts of AR and MO. Seems like March instead of January, but there's also a forecast for snow in NW OK, so I guess maybe we're having spring and winter weather today and tonight.

I hope everyone stays safe from the severe weather.

Dawn

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

I have .88 of an inch in my gauge, and I am happy.

:)

Moni

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

The weather forecast said we got .8" of rain yesterday. I did get outside some, and everything looked like it was so appreciative of the moisture. My Daffs are peeking thru the soil, so I imagine I'll see a lot more growth from them since they had a shower yesterday.

My Spanish Lavender looks pretty forelorn, so I'm not sure the roots have survived this winter yet. The weeds are agrowin', that's for sure!

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

We ended up with about 0.60" in the rain gauge. I was hoping for, but not expecting, more rain than that. Any rainfall at all is good. We had two fires yesterday, one apparently started by lightning. Even on rainy days, we cannot catch a break when we're in prolonged drought.

Susan, The weeds are up and growing like mad here too. So are some of the cool-season volunteers like chamomile, poppies and larkspur. Henbit is blooming and the bees and butterflies are glad.

With the way the wind is blowing, the moisture likely won't last real long though.

Dawn

• lat0403
    11 years ago

We ended up with .01" yesterday. That's better than nothing, but it sure would be nice if the rain would stop missing us.

Leslie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

That is just sad. I cannot believe it almost completely missed y'all.

I've been watching the weather today as the storm system tears across the southeastern US, with torrential rain and flooding, strong winds bringing down power lines and trees, and tornadoes tearing everything up, and I feel like we were pretty fortunate that our main impact was just rain.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I had over 2 inches so that is great. What is not so great is the temperature, since we are 10 degrees lower than the panhandle and our little corner is the only part of Oklahoma that is below freezing today.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County