Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssgardening

Strawberries

ssgardening
9 years ago

I'd like to start a strawberry bed. I've grown them both in NH and Germany but never in the hot south. Is there a particular variety I should look into. Are there any special considerations I should take when planning a strawberry bed? Also, is there anyone in my area willing to part with some runners? I live in South Central OK.

Comments (2)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Southcentral Oklahoma's very dry summers can be very hard on strawberries, but you can grow them here if you're careful to keep them watered adequately in July and August. I lose them to drought about every third or fourth year even though I think I've kept them well-watered. Our combination of drought and heat just burns them up some years and it seems impossible to water them enough in those years. There's not a strawberry plant in my garden that looks happy when we start going over 103 or 105 every day. Once we are hitting 110, ain't nobody happy.

Dorothy has a lot better success with them in eastern OK than I have in southcentral OK so maybe she can share some of her secrets with you,

I have red clay so must grow the strawberries in very well-amended red clay in raised beds because plants in dense, slow-draining clay don't stand a chance. Some people I know who grow them here in SC OK grow them in large containers like whiskey half barrels filled with a soil-less growing mix.

The variety that has done best for us probably is Ozark Beauty, but we've had success at different times with other varieties, like SureCrop and Albion. I grow them sort of as a living ground cover in the asparagus bed and I think it is likely the strong, vigorous asparagus plants out-compete them for water in periods of drought. So, I never know until they start putting out growth in late winter if they made it through the previous year's drought. If they didn't I just plant more. I'd like to give them their own dedicated bed some day, but it takes a long time to amend the red clay enough to make it suitable for growing strawberries (and pretty much anything else) and I hate to devote a raised bed already used for veggies, herbs and flowers to grow more strawberries. It we had drought less often, I'd be more inclined to do it.

If you don't know your soil pH, be sure you have it tested and amend it as needed before you plant the strawberries. Many of the soils here in southcentral OK are highly alkaline and the pH must be fixed before it is suitable for strawberries.

• mulberryknob
    9 years ago

I occasionally lose strawberries to drought too, even though I think I've watered them well. I do have mine in a dedicated bed. I find they do better with morning sun and afternoon shade, so I move them from one bed to another every few years in the west end of the garden as there are trees to the west of the garden. My current berries are Earlyglo. I have tried the everbearing types but without much success so have given up on them. I live where a lot of berries are grown commercially, so don't try to raise a big enough bed to supply a year's worth of berries in the freezer. We eat ours fresh and put up the excess and then I buy a flat or two to put in the freezer.

I don't worry too much about pH because I know our native soils are acidic. I do amend my berry bed with compost.