Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

HELP -- Seeds for Wedding

Lisa_H OK
10 years ago

I have a young friend who is getting married in April. She would like to give out flower seeds as wedding favors. I told her we could order in bulk and put them in tiny ziplocks ourselves. I was going to order from Swallowtail Seeds, but I couldn't find a seed mix in bulk there.

I found American Meadows. Has anyone ordered from them? Like them?

Will one pound cover about 150 packets?

I am open to another company if there is a better one. The only thing she would like is a emphasis on pink. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas-0K Wildflower Mix

Comments (5)

• chrholme
    10 years ago

You should check out wildseed farms in Fredericksburg, TX. They specialize in bulk wild flower seeds and their website is very helpful. Disclosure- I do not have any kind of relationship with this company besides being a loyal happy customer :)

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhh, that sent me on a different path. I am thinking about straight zinnias. WildSeed Farms has a pretty pink zinnia. Almost everyone can grow a zinnia and you don't have to worry about any thuggish flowers taking over an unsuspecting homeowners flower bed :)

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Luminosa Pink Zinnia

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Lisa, I agree with Trees4OK. I also am a longtime, loyal and happy Wildseed Farms customer. I brag to y'all all the time about how much I love my Laura Bush petunias, which I grow from seed purchased from Wildseed Farms.Their quality and customer service are fantastic, and they ship orders quickly. They are a G A R D E N Watchdog Top 5 company. The other company is not.

I did purchase a seed mix in a store once that was from American Meadows and did not have a very good germination rate, so I've never purchased anything from them since then.

As for the "pink" part of the equation, you can look at the seed listing on the page for their TX/OK blend, and it will tell you, by percentage, how much of each variety is in the mix.I don't remember a lot of pink being in it, other then pink evening primrose, larkspur and some poppies. However, y'all could go to the individual species section and find some suitable seeds for pink flowers, buy them and mix them in with the TX/OK mix. Y'all could add seeds of individual species like Pink Laura Bush Petunias, Showy Pink Evening Primrose (I know that you know it is invasive and so do I, but I love it anyhow), Rose Mallow, Bachelor Buttons (I think theirs is a blend of pink,white and blue) and Gloria Cosmos (in their cosmos section). Or, in the zinnia section you likely would find some seeds of pink zinnias. Or, you could get 1/4 lb. of the Pack of Poppies blend. It is a blend of several colors, including pink, red and white, and mix it in with the TX OK Blend.

The TX/OK blend at Wildseed farms usually runs about $29 or $30 per pound.

Also, Wildseed Farms does sell custom seed packets for weddings, with lots of cute packet graphics that can be customized for the occasion. In their packets for this purpose, they put 1 gram of seeds per packet. I think that a pound is 456 grams, or maybe it is 453, but either way, you clearly could get 150 packets from a pound and that would be with about 3 grams of seeds per packet.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Lisa, Swallowtail has a ton of bulk seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Lisa, how about Elegans Oklahoma Pink for a Zinnia. LOL

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH