Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenrod

Tulsa area gardening tips and nursery locations & sales/discounts

gardenrod
13 years ago

I thought I would start this thread to see if Tulsa area gardeners (mostly container or small gardens) might like a thread that focuses on Tulsa area issues such as local gardening outlets- locations, product availability, sales/discounts, experiences (good or bad), and general Zone 6B gardening questions/tips.

In researching product availability, I was surprised how many listed companies were no longer in business, and how difficult it is to find website addresses.

I will list the outlets that I have had some dealings with- I am sure that local gardeners have dealt with other outlets- it would be helpful to add locations and/or provide either pro/con experiences.

Assuming everyone knows where to locate their Walmarts, Home Depots, and Lowes, here is my list of other outlets that I am personally aware of that are in this area and are currently operational:

Atwood Ranch & Home

Broken Arrow, Ok

2351 E Kenosha

918 355 1300

www.atwoods.com

Other Locations;

*Sapulpa, Ok

806 East Taft

918 227 3262

*Sand Springs, Ok

730 E. Charles Page Blvd.

918 241 1700

*Owasso, Ok

11510 N. Garnett

918 371 8100

John Deere Landscapes

1315 108th East

Tulsa, OK

918-437-9000

www.johndeerelandscapes.com

Rancho Flores (Will reopen in February)

4516 31st

Tulsa, OK

918-743-2434

Sanders Nursery #2: Broken Arrow

20705 E. 161st St.

Broken Arrow, OK 74014

918-486-1500

www.sandersnurseryok.com

Other Locations:

*Sanders Nursery #1: Inola

13302 E. 590 Road

Inola, OK

(918) 543-2589 phone

Smith Farm & Garden

8804 41st

Tulsa, OK

918-665-3364

www.smithfarmandgarden.com

Southwood Landscape & Nursery

9025 S. Lewis

Tulsa, OK 74137

918-299-9409

www.southwoodnursery.com

Stringer Nursery

7203 E 41st St

Tulsa, OK

918-628-0296

www.stringernursery.com

Sutherlands

9503 21st

Tulsa, OK

918-627-0777

www.sutherlands.com

Other Locations

*Jenks OK

3014 W. Main

(918) 296-9580

*Bixby OK

15050 Memorial

(918) 366-2041

Ted & Debbie's Flower & Garden

3901 S Harvard Ave

Tulsa, OK

918-745-0011

www.tedanddebbiesflowers.com

Tulsa County Hydro -Organics

1928 W Albany St

Broken Arrow, OK 74012

918-259-4937

Westlake Ace Hardware

2235 E 61st St

Tulsa, OK

918-742-7309

Other Locations:

*3948 S Peoria Ave

Tulsa, OK

918-712-7376

Worleys Greenhouse & Nursery Inc

7400 Owasso Expwy

Tulsa, OK

918-272-2399

www.worleysgreenhouse.com

Other Locations:

*Claremore & Skiatook

PLEASE post a response if you find that any of the above listings are incorrect.

Ron Z

Comments (70)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I noticed Gary didn't link his website so I'll do it.

At his website, you can order sweet potato slips for delivery or you can see the dates he'll be selling at the Cherry Street market, various plant shows/spring festivals, etc. His tomato variety list for 2011 is posted there too.

I hope those of you in the Tulsa area will seek out both Gary and Sandy (butterflymomok) and other local growers and buy Oklahoma-raised plants whenever possible since you're lucky enough to have local growers in your area.

As for the Master Gardener issue, I think the Master Gardener program is a fine one, but it is an extension-service based program so of course that's the kind of info you'll get back from them, and the master gardeners are taught to look up the latest research and info and relay it back to those seeking information. MGs aren't expected to know everything or to have in-depth knowledge of every issue, but rather just to know where to find that more in-depth info if it is needed. There's nothing wrong with that. However, it often is easier to get real-life first-hand info from people who've dealt with the same issue you're having at any given time. There's where a forum like this comes in really handy.

I am extremely disappointed to learn that the MG group buys out-of-state plants for their plant sales no matter their rationale for doing so. If anyone in this state at all should be promoting the purchase and use of Oklahoma-raised plants, it ought to be the MG group!

I do agree with Sammy that many businesses (though certainly not all) are just looking to sell you whatever you'll buy and don't care if it will do well in your area or not. That's why each and every one of us has to do our own research before we purchase and make sure we're buying seeds or plants or supplies that meet our needs. Just because a store or online retailer is selling something doesn't mean we ought to buy it.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Duck Creek Farms

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree that local experience is of far greater value than what generic sources can provide.
    Questions often cover material that cannot be answered correctly unless someone has actual experience with the subject being discussed.
    I honestly believe that I have learned more about Oklahoma gardening from the Oklahoma Gardening Forum (especially Dawns posts) than I learned from the Master Gardener program.
    Ron Z

• snookums50
    13 years ago

Are you positive about Colebrook's. They just added on the last couple of years and I can't see them going under. I would really hate for incorrect information to be put out there. I will check with them sometime next week and post here.

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Colebrook's was in operation last summer, as they contacted me to see if I had liatris available. They were looking for a lot more than I had. Unless something happened recently, they should still be around.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

snookums, are you thinking about the florist that has been next to what was Binding Stevens? I cannot remember their name, but that is what I thought of when you mentioned Colebrook.

They are still in operation, but they are more of a florist than a nursery.

Sammy

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

It was Cohlmia's that was in with Binding Stevens, and they're around 15th & Main now. Colebrook's website is still up and running; I'd hate to see them gone!
    cj

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

Thanks, CJ. I looked up Colebrooks and saw that it was far away from us, at least, but did not see the Cohlmia.

I'm so glad that you filled in that blank for me. Things like that can just roll around and irritate me, if I don't get the answer.

Sammy

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Hey Sammy - I just happen to drive by Cohlmia's often, and remembered that it had been next to BS. I'm not much of a florist person, and only went in there a couple of times when it was connected to Binding Stevens. For myself, I got to Stringer more than anywhere else; Stan has given me good advice over the years, and they have a huge seed display all year long. Like most displays, they lack in variety selection, but they seem to stick to varieties that do well in this part of Oklahoma.
    cj

• snookums50
    13 years ago

Charlie, who had Binding Stevens and Cohlmia's, had a location on 15th street just east of Boston that had lots of tropicals and (I believe) he ran his commercial business out of there. He still has that location. A couple of years ago, he was selling annuals and perennials in the area behind the large brick building besides doing the commercial business. Colebrook's is in Berryhill and Riddle Plant Farm is also over that way. That may be too far for some, but I do know lots of people from Broken Arrow and Southwood who make the trip.

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found out that Colebrooks is alive and well. Here is their info:

Colebrook Nursery
    5915 West 31st Street
    Tulsa, Oklahoma 74107
    Tel: (918) 445 - 0539
    Email: colebrooks@mindspring.com

Ron Z

• joellenh
    13 years ago

This is a tip for other square foot gardeners in the Tulsa area. I don't think there are very many of us, but hopefully someone will find this info helpful.

I was buying my vermiculite at Stringer for $20 per 2 cubic foot bag. ($10 per cubic foot)

I recently found it at Independent Material Company in a 4 cubic foot bag for $13 ($3.25 per cubic foot).

So less than 1/3 of Stringer's price. Wish I had known about this a couple years ago, I would have saved a lot of money.

Their address is
    34 North Owasso Avenue in Tulsa

and here is their website
    http://www.independentmaterial.com/

They are a building supply store so you won't find any peat moss or compost there, but it is fully worth a trip just for the vermiculite.

Jo

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found that I could buy 2 cubic foot bags of MG Canadian spahgnum peat for $7.95 at Stringer Nursery (after paying $9.95 per bag at Home Depot).
    Stringer also has bags of Fafard 52 mix (60% pine bark fines) for $17.95 for a 2.8cf bag.
    I bought 2.8cf Pro-Mix Mycorise Pro at Colebrooks for $22, and 3cf bags of Jemasco Landscape & Growers Mix (70% pine bark fines) for $6.95 per bag.
    Pro-Mix BX was $22 per 2.8cf bag at Worley's.
    I bought some 20 gallon plastic totes at Home Depot for $3 each, but they were gone when I went back for more. They do have 30 gal containers on sale for $7.75.

If anyone knows of any good buys on 10 or 20 gallon pots or totes, please post.
    Ron Z

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooops- the Pro-Mix at Colebrooks was $20 per 2.8cf bag.
    Ron Z

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

I was in lowes in bixby and they have cool season transplants, broccoli, lettuce, romaine and others. they also have 1 and 2 gallon blueberries, rasberries blackberries and grapes. Southwood Nursery has some veggies plus strawberries and herbs.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

the bag of premier peat moss I got at Home Depot yesterday was $10 for three cubic feet so 3.33 per cubic foot. If the Stringer bag is 2 cubic feet it is $4 per foot. But if it is the same size bag that's a deal. Can you verify the cubic footage? I might need more Peat moss. Thanks

Jo

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Request: if anyone knows of a reasonable $ source of bagged compost please post. i don't need a ton, maybe 10 or 15 cubic feet. I hate the stuff they sell at Lowes and HD.

Thanks

Jo

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Jo-
    HD and Stringer both have the same 2.0 CF Miracle-Gro Canadian Spahgnum Peat Moss at the $7.95 price at Stringer and the $9.47 price at HD.
    HD also has the 3 CF compressed bale of Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss for the $9.75 price.
    I use both- the MG peat moss for mixing with pine bark fines for my containers, and the other peat for mixing with garden soil. I use far less container soil, so am willing to pay more for the loose MG peat with the added nutrients and wetting agent.
    Hey- I'm old and deserve some consideration for reducing my work load. (Actually, I do watch prices closely and feel guilty when I pay more than necessary).
    Ron Z

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Ah I gotcha! I was wondering if there was a difference in Peat Moss brands. Now I know! Do you have a preferred retailer for bagged compost?

Jo

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need to make a correction - the $7.95 2cf spahgnum peat is at Walmart, not Stringer.
    Jo-
    I have the same problem you do for finding the bagged compost. I have not found any real bagged compost. I'm sure that you have seen all the various bags labeled "compost" that are usually NOT a good compost mixture. I have used the Back-To-Nature cotton-hull compost from Stringer, but only as a last choice. I do mix the Back-To-Nature composted cow manure and chicken manure (and my home-grown compost) with my garden soil for the garden with fairly good results for greens and peppers (my tomatoes were not great last year).
    I make about 30 cf of my own compost twice a year from lawn clippings, saved shredded leaves and kitchen scraps since I could not find compost to purchase.
    Ron Z

• grannyjojo
    13 years ago

I don't believe I saw Riddle Plant Farm named on your list. I just bought some cool season transplants from them today. They are located in Sand Springs, off Hwy 97. The address is 3510 Summit Ave. I buy from them every year.

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, grannyjojo-
    I had seen their greenhouses from Highway 97, but did not know they were a full blown nursery.
    Their website is shown below.
    Ron Z

Here is a link that might be useful: Riddle

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Joining the conversation late but would like to add Myers nursery for Ornamentals for Broken Arrow or south Tulsa people. They are located at the corner of 161st and 81st. They open by mid March and are usually closed by July. They are a "tent" based operation with local owners that come every year. Their plants are exceptionally well maintained. Also they carry some varieties that are newer and different then your usual 6 pack of Begonias (which they also have). Their speciality seems to be Calibrachoas.

Another ornamental source is Sunnyside Nursery off Memorial in Bixby. Again, well maintained stock and their flower designer is marvelous for those who want to have their containers designed and executed by a professional.

Under the Sun is located at 91st and Sheridan and carries a nice assortment of mostly bedding plants, but some perennials, herbs etc. For the last few years they have put up a tent at 81st and Garnet in the spring.

Most of my gardening supplies (mulch, amendments etc.)come from Stringers. They have the best private blend of potting mix around, especially good for roses. When the Stringer family got out of the nursery business a few years back (after being around forever) I was very upset. Loosing Binding Stevens was horrible, but to also loose Stringers would be devastating. Fortunately Stan managed to buy the last store and so far has managed to keep it open.

Then there is Roses Inc. Tulsa, which is actually in Broken Arrow just off of 129th. If you want to grow more then Knockouts from Lowes, this is the place to check.

As for the Farmers Market in Broken Arrow, the first year they had it on Thursdays and Saturdays. Last year they went all spring without any announcements about when they would be open. Pathetic promotion by the city of Broken Arrow. I finally found out that they had changed the days open to Tuesdays and Saturdays (I preferred Thursday so I'd have supplies for week-end gatherings). But by then it was hot and I didn't care. Just as I was gearing up to buy my fall decorations such as ornamental corn, cornstalks, gourds etc. they closed. I haven't a clue what they will do this year, and if they follow last years pattern, they may announce it once in the paper and then let it drop.

• cjlambert
    13 years ago

Jo - thanks for the tip about Independent Materials; I'm definitely going to check them out.
    cj

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Maryl,

As a participant in the BA market, the advertising has been determined by when funds are provided.

The market will open the second weekend in April this year, and will only be open on Saturdays. I think this was decided by the city of BA. I am signed up to have a booth again this year. We usually end the season at the end of October. If sellers abandon the market early, then the market will close early.

The change in days was decided by some of the sellers that didn't return last year. I voted to keep Thursdays, however, a lot of the vegetable sellers said that with the days so close together, it didn't allow them to harvest enough for the second day (Saturday). As it happened, a lot of those people didn't return.

The city of BA does not make money from the market. Spaces are very cheap and yearly dues are low. The first year, David had a big budget to advertise. This past year, with every city/town experiencing the crunch, there was a cut in funds.

Hours this year will be 8-12, every Saturday. Hope this helps--don't give up on us!

Sandy

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone know where Candy onion plants can be purchased in the Tulsa area?
    Ron Z

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information Sandy on the Farmers Market in B.A. I enjoy shopping downtown B.A. but have talked to too many small merchants that say the same thing (and many of them are gone now). They get no cooperation from the city of BA other then lip service. When the city cut back the days of the market to just Saturdays what were they afraid of? More then 3 cars on Main street at once? Geezel. As for cutting down on the advertising budget, if you build it but keep it secret, unlike the movie, they WON'T come. Then they use the old excuse - it's the economy. NO! It's not! Buying a pound of green beans is in almost everyones budget. You can buy them in B.A. or you can go to Walmart. Most people I know would prefer to go to the growers direct. I remember getting some Porter Peaches at the Farmers Market that first year and I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven. The same non-flavored, picked too early peaches at Walmart were pitiful but it was all that was easily available out this way. Oh well. It's like the age old problem with the Ag dept. Plenty to gripe about, but no one wants to solve the problem..... Hope we will see you on a Saturday morning in B.A. but to be truthful, we seldom put up with the shopping crowds on the week-ends now that we are retired....Maryl

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do not think anything can compare to the Porter peaches. I wonder if the open-air sellers are actually selling Porter peaches as advertised. I get mine from Conrads in Bixby. You can call ahead to find out what varieties are being offered at any given time.
    Ron Z

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    13 years ago

We used to go to the market in BA all the time. I don't know who sold there, or what type of foods they had.

I live between BA and Tulsa. The BA newspaper will not print many articles of my school or pictures in their paper. They want to be totally supportive of BA. Many many people in that community are in my shoes. I live almost closer to all of the Tulsa shops than the BA ones even though my address is BA.

We have no way of knowing that the market is open or what the hours are. Last year they posted something in the paper about all the markets, and we saw that the BA market was open. When my husband drove over to check it out, he said they had almost nothing.

It is a shame that there is not a way to broadcast that the market is a collection of small vendors, and not a market of itself.

When the time is near, I hope those of you who are selling will let us know when you will be there. Also, why don't you try to get together and put up some flyers in various stores? I don't know to what extent a store like Wal Mart or Lowe's would support you or reject you. Sometimes I think they may support a small time independent vendor - they would also be supporting the community rather than the huge monopolies.

Good luck to all of you. Please give us a heads up the week before you go.

Sammy

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

Sammy,

Will be glad to post here when the market is up and running.

Sandy

13 years ago

Anyone know of a source for the gran-I-grit in Als gritty mix or a substitute product. I figured Atwoods would sell some sort of crushed granite since they sell chicks, duck, etc, but they dont.

Thanks
    mike

• cmaggard_cox_net
    13 years ago

I'm am so glad you have taken the time to create a place for a local resource where we can access and share gardening info. Thank you :)
    I will be back when I have more time!

• cmaggard_cox_net
    13 years ago

I'm am so glad you have taken the time to create a place for a local resource where we can access and share gardening info. Thank you :)
    I will be back when I have more time!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

I read in the paper yesterday about a new nursery opening up in southeast Tulsa at 61st ST. between Mingo and Hwy 169. They bill themselves as an eco-friendly nursery with items such as recycled equipment and native plants. Called Groggs Green Barn after the owners. No opening date was given. Nice to see a new nursery coming to town instead of closing down.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

According to their website, they open TOMORROW! WOOT!

http://groggsgreenbarn.com/page38.html

• joellenh
    13 years ago

for those who missed out on Dixondale onions, Farmers Feed in Sapulpa has them for $1.20 per bunch, except for the Super Sweets which are $1.60 per bunch.

I saw them today when I went there to get a bag of moleasses, so I grabbed a couple of bunches

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update on Groggs. As it happens I will be in the area tomorrow so I may just drop in. Like someone else posted, I'm looking for composted sheep manure myself. Maybe an "Eco-friendly" place will have it. It's arguably the best manure for roses. I used to get mine at Wolf Brothers on Sheridan if that takes any of you Tulsans back to the past...Maryl

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Mike,

Do y'all have Tractor Supply Company stores in your area? The ones here have crushed poulty grit.

Dawn

• dannigirls_garden
    13 years ago

a great place for sheep *ahem* 'stuff' is Shepherds Cross in Claremore. I bought some last year from them, i dont recall the price but it was great stuff! They specialize in organic produce and meat with fun festivals for children and schools. The people who run it are AMAZINGLY friendly and super generous.

http://www.shepherdscross.com/index.html

Also the Tomato Mans Daughter sold lama and sheep droppings, i bought the lama 'stuff' and my tomatoes seemed to love it.

You might want to check on craigslist in the farm section, people offer free sheep/goat/rabbit 'gold' in the summer if you come shovel it out.

I am going to grab some vermiculite on the way home, i just built some SF beds that need to be filled this weekend thanks!!!

~Danni Girl

13 years ago

Thanks Dawn

There is one out south of Glenpool. I may go check them out. Their website say that have a type.

Thanks

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I stopped in at Groggs this morning. The place is really nice (open, airy, cheerful), and the owners were super friendly.

They had a small area with children's gardening products that was really cute. Lots of decorative items, really NICE pots made out of tires...they had handles and did not look at all like tires.

They had a good selection soil amendments/composts and stuff including chicken, turkey, bags of worm castings, and lots of Back To Nature stuff. I know I am forgetting some things.

Their prices seemed about average compared to other nurseries if my memory is correct...A 1 cf bag of BTN Nature's blend was $8.99, which is about what I seem to recall paying when I bought some from Stringer.

They do have a section dedicated to Epsoma products...I found this the most exciting. They only had the teeny little 4 or 5# bags and I did not see any Tomato Tone or Garden Tone. However, I was telling the owner Kelly that there is a strong interest in these products in our community (at least among many of our board members), and he seemed very eager to carry products based on interest...so if you want them to stock those big old bags of Epsoma, let them know!!!

Jo

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you have not been to Stringer Nursery lately, you should make an effort to check it out.
    They have added a considerable number of products and seem to be aware of container gardening products.
    They have the 3.8 cubic feet Pro-Mix BX, several Fafard and Back To Nature soil mixes, several fish and kelp products, Espoma Tomato Tone,etc.
    (The Fafard 52 Mix is 60% processed pine bark fines with spahgnum Peat and Perlite added)
    (The Fafard 3B Mix is 45% Canadian Spahgnum Peat with pine bark fines and Perlite added).

I was concerned that Stringer's might be cutting back but they seem to be expanding their product lines.
    Ron Z

13 years ago

just thought I would share something

I went to the Tractor supply in glenpool and they have 25 pound bags of Manna Pro grit for $7.99. Just in case anyone needs it for Als gritty mix. Appears to the right size and Ill be putting my citrus in it here in about a month.

mike

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike- that's good info- I looked around for gritty mix and could not find any, so decided to use Al's 5-1-1 mix in some of my veggie containers.
    I'll probably get some gritty mix when I repot my tropicals later on.
    Ron Z

• wekamoke
    13 years ago

Hi everbody!

Loving this thread. I am really excited about grogs green barn and may go window shop this weekend. The thought of a quality bagged compost is amazing. Also I have set an alarm on my phone for the first farmers market duck creek farms is at. So i can get some sweet potato plants.
    Great to have a localized thread

I went to southwood nursery weekend before last and they had dixondale onions shortday varieties red, yellow, and white dont remember which types. But they were 2.99 a bunch very healthy and big compared to my mail order last year, Final count was 118 in 2 bunches.

I am interested in where you can buy non-monsanto seed in tulsa. They have botanical interests at southwood but they are kinda pricey. But I suppose all seed like that is.

Also I went on a search for alfalfa hay last year for one reason or another and the only place I found it was farmers feed in sapulpa.

Hope that is helpful to someone.

Terra

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terra-
    I was searching the Tulsa Craig's list for straw and found several postings for selling alfalfa hay, mostly in the smaller towns around, but some in Tulsa itself.
    Ron Z

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In case anyone is interested-
    According to the Oklahoma Climatological Survey, important planting dates for the Tulsa area are:

2/20-3/1 Earliest Last Hard Freeze (28 Degrees)
    3/11-3/17 Median Date of Last Hard Freeze (28 Degrees)
    3/22-3/31 Average Date of Last Hard Freeze (28 Degrees)
    4/11-4/20 Latest Hard Freeze (90% before these dates)

My personal schedule:
    I plant my garden seeds-lettuce, pak-choi. spinach, onions, potatoes and peas- about the middle of March, and have lost very few plants due to frost or freezing.
    I keep backup seedlings that I start about the first of March, then transplant them to the garden around April 1.
    I plant tomato seeds under lights around the middle of February, then transplant them to the garden around April 1, but keep covers for them in case a freeze is forecast.
    I plant hot pepper seed under lights around the first of March, then transplant them to the garden around April 15.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have experienced in this area.

Ron Z

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

March 17th, St. Patrick's day, is the official start of ornamental gardening season, starting with roses. That is when you begin pruning them. However, as with all things Okie, no date is set in concrete. So watch the forecast. You've got to get somewhat of a handle on pruning roses starting March 17th or they will be fully leafed out and rangy before you know it. I always prune higher rather then lower. You can always prune your roses back further after April the 15th and all hard frost possibilities are gone. Your Gladiolus bulbs should be planted by the end of March so they flower before the really hot heat begins. If dividing daylilies and other ornamentals do it early but make sure the ground temperature has warmed up enough to stimulate new root production...I know this isn't about vegetables, but perhaps someone grows a few ornamentals as well as produce....Happy St. Patricks day to all of you...Maryl

• gardenrod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't know about a St. Patrick's Day planting schedule for other plants, but both my grandfather and my father always planted potatoes as close to St. Patrick's Day as possible.
    Of course you must take into account the weather and soil conditions.
    I watch the 10 day weather forecast closely, and plant accordingly.
    For instance, seeing that we have several above average temperatures ahead during the next ten days, AND the forecast for rain today,
    I spent a lot of time in the garden preparing beds for seeding, then planted my first batch of onions and potatoes yesterday (March 13).
    I also planted a new Red Blaze Climbing Rose.
    It seems that if the soil becomes saturated and cold weather returns, you can often miss out on optimal planting dates.
    Right now, my peonies are sprouting up to about 6 inches and my lilacs are full of unopened buds.
    Another thing I watch for is the leafing of Oak trees- I feel more comfortable in planting warmer weather crops when the Oaks tell me that warm weather has arrived.
    Ron Z

• KrD265
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this question belongs here but hopefully somebody on here can help me. I am looking for pine (needle) straw to use as mulch. I would like to be able to purchase it locally. Does anybody know of a place that sells it in or around the Tulsa Metro area? Thank you.

• Tractorlady63
    12 years ago

Grumpy's Garden
    1140 E. 15th St., Tulsa OK 74120
    918�582�3637

I found lots of unique seeds here last year.

Urban Garden
    3141 E 15th St Tulsa 74104
    Located on the North side of 15th Street, just West of Harvard.
    918-289-0018

They always have a nice but small selection of garden plants and lots of hydroponic supplies.