Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipeliner42

introduction

pipeliner42
11 years ago

Let me introduce myself. I go by Trapper42 and have been gardening, off and on, for 60 years. I started as a kid on the farm and now I am a retired farmer and retired oilfield worker.
I still live ,with my wife, on 315 acres in Blaine county,northwest OK and have a garden of 1/2 acre, more or less.

I hope that I can contribute something from time to time to this forum.( surely I've learned a few things in my lifetime )

I suspect I've made my first mistake of the new year when I started tomatoes, peppers, and cabbage indoors yesterday.
Oh well, it helped with the gardening fever to finally do something after the long winter.

Looking forward to hear from any forum member,
Trapper

Comments (7)

• luvabasil
    11 years ago

Well, Trapper42, I am glad to see I made the same mistake as a seasoned gardener! I couldn't wait to start seeds either!
    Welcome and I truely look forward to your advice. (I really need it)
    Luvabasil

• slowpoke_gardener
    11 years ago

Trapper42, welcome to the forum. You will find this a great place. I have gardened some, but I have so much to learn.

I have only started onion, they are just now coming up (.I started then too late). I plan on starting cabbage and kale soon.

I am sure many of us will be trying to pick your brain from time to time. They are many others on this forum that get their brains picked often, but they seem to glad to help.

Again, welcome, Larry.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Trapper,

Welcome to the forum!

I'd never say that starting seeds early is a mistake. What's the worst that can happen? They'll get big and you'll have larger transplants at planting time? That's not the worst sort of problem to have. If they get too big to stay indoors while it is still too cold to leave them outside, I'm sure you'll find a way to manage the situation.

Last year I started my tomatoes around this time and I was glad I did it. We were warming up early and fast and I was able to put the tomato plants into the ground beginning March 7th or 8th. We're not that lucky every year, but it sure was nice last year.

We've been colder this January in our location than we were last January, so I'm not in too much of a rush. My soil temps have been pretty cold, but after having several days with highs in the 60s and 70s they are starting to warm up pretty quickly now.

I haven't started any seeds at all yet, but the day that I'll start them is getting closer every day. It could happen any day now.

Luvabasil, I try to think of these little early planting urges not as a mistake...but as an adventure!

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

Welcome, Trapper, As Dawn said, an early start just means you will have nice big transplants. I haven't started any transplants yet, but will soon. Having a greenhouse gives me a winter outlet for seed starting fever. Last week I pulled some gone-by lettuce and planted spinach--and it's already up. So yesterday I planted some bokchoy and more lettuce.

• pipeliner42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all for the welcome.
    Dawn was right,I'll find a way. I always surround my newly planted plants with a gallon can with both ends cut out to protect them from cold temps and high winds. If the forcast is below freezing I usually also put a five gallon bucket over them for as long as the cold spell lasts. Don't remember any complete freeze outs.

• luvncannin
    11 years ago

Welcome. I am new here also, really new to gardening as well. this will be my 3rd year. I was inspired by your post to go ahead and get some seeds started indoors.I am excited for this season to get rolling. I have learned so much from everone here and look forward to your input as well.
    Kim

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Welcome, Trapper!

I look forward to seeing your input!