Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Starting tomatoes today

mulberryknob
11 years ago

Last year 4th of July was one of the earliest tomatoes to bear in the garden from a midJanuary sowing, but it didn't do well in the greenhouse at all from a late summer sowing. Both it and Subarctic stalled after a cold night and never recovered. A couple of the others--Goliath and Chadwick's Cherry--also got nipped a bit but recovered and set on. (There is a Chadwick's Cherry out there ready to pick today) The Bush Early Girl and Park's Container didn't even show any damage although they were as close to the glass as the others. And both have tomatoes that are mature size but still green.

So today as I get ready to start some early tomatoes I am thinking that 4th of July stays because it did do well early last summer, ripening the first tomatoes in May--unheard of for here. Bush Early Girl is also definite as are Bush Goliath and Park's Container. I'll probably start a couple Black Cherrys and Sungolds too. But the Subarctic didn't do well. I'm not ready to heat up the plant benches in the greenhouse for the main crop yet, (I'll do that in 3 weeks when it's time to start peas and broccoli)so will just start a half dozen or so on the kitchen table over a hot pad for now.

Comments (4)