Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

source for Cherry Falls tomato seeds?

Shelley Smith
10 years ago

I'm trying to find seeds for Cherry Falls as I want to try growing some tomatoes in containers this year, and this one was highly recommended on this forum. So far the only place I can find it is Victory Seeds. Has anyone here seen it elsewhere? Any other recommendations for tomatoes in pots?

Comments (3)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Shelley,

I didn't realize Victory Seeds has it. When I bought it the first year it hit the market, Swallow Tail Garden Seeds was the sole source I found that year and they still have it. I think that Totally Tomatoes also has it this year.

As for tomatoes to grow in pots, virtually any tomato plant will grow and produce well in a pot as long as the pot is large enough, is filled with a good soil-less mix, and as long as the plant has adequate water and nutrition. So, tell us what sort of tomato you're wanting. Red? Pink? Orange? Yellow? Etc. Also, are you looking for one for slicing and fresh eating? A smaller cherry type for salads and such? How big of a pot do you intend to use? If the container will be smaller, I'd recommend a determinate variety, but if the pot will be large enough, I can think of some good indeterminates or even ISIs.

Dawn

• Shelley Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dawn. I'm wanting primarily cherry/grape types for fresh eating. My other focus this year is on paste types but I'll probably plant them in the ground. Two of my favorites are Black Cherry and Sun Gold but both seem rather large for a container. My containers are not terribly large, maybe 15" across, and the same in height. I am especially interested in tomatoes that will look best in a container since it will be out front, and early maturing varieties are best. I probably won't try to keep them going past late June in the containers, so probably a determinate?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

There are some great small plants that produce bite-sized tomatoes and do pretty well in smallish containers. Two that have produced especially well for me are LIzzano and Terenzo, both AAS winners a couple of years back. They were developed for containers and I grew them (a) in the ground, (b) in hanging baskets (albeit large ones), and (c) in containers that sat on the ground. They produce red cherry-sized tomatoes and performed equally well in all those different growing conditions.

Red Profusion, Yellow Profusion and Cherry Profusion are small plants that produce lots of fruit and the fruit taste good.

Rambling Red Stripe and Rambling Gold Stripe also produced very well in containers, tasted about like any other cherry tomato (except Black Cherry and Sun Gold which truly do have unique flavor) and did well even in the horrible summer of 2012 as long as I kept them well-watered.

Totem is a determinate bred for containers that produces a full-sized (though not huge) tomato.

I've grown New Big Dwarf in containers many times. It produces large, pink tomatoes with superb flavor. I have grown it in containers about the size of yours

If you'll go back to the website of Swallow Tail Garden Seeds, and go to their cherry tomato section, you'll see they have an amazing variety of bite-sized tomatoes that are bred for containers. Most of the bite-sized tomatoes I mentioned here are ones I tried after finding them at Swallow Tail Garden Seeds several years ago. Pear Drops is another one they have that I like, though it is a little bit prone to cracking after heavy rainfall. I often put three of these plants in a molasses feed tub (which is about the same size as a whiskey half-barrel). Pear Drops, Rambling Gold Stripe and Cherry Falls (or Rambling Red Stripe) all look beautiful together in a larger container. I like to have them close to the house (which my garden is not) in containers so we can pick a quick handful for salads at mealtime instead of running out to the big garden.

I also love a yellow cherry called Ildi and have grown it in containers as small as yours. While it does better in a larger container, the only difference I see when I grow it in a smaller container is that the plant stays smaller. It still produces big sprays of tasty tomatoes.

Dawn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!