Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canokie

anybody here grow hot peppers without heat?

Shelley Smith
10 years ago

I have learned that the hot peppers (jalapeno types) do a lot better here than the bell peppers, but I am a wimp when it comes to hot peppers. I have grown Fooled Ya the last two years and it produces very well, and I love the flavor. I tried TAM Mild and a poblano type last year and liked them too. Does anybody have recommendations for more varieties like these? Any other types of peppers I should try besides the jalapenos and poblanos?

Comments (8)

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

I love Joe Parker, an anaheim type, for roasting and peeling. It is mild--unless it is grown right next to a hot pepper of some type--and the skin peels better than any pepper I've ever worked with. It is big enough for chili rellenos, though not as blocky as a Poblano.

• Shelley Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I was wondering about that one - saw it on the Swallow Tails Garden Seeds website.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I too am looking for a jalapeno with no heat. Thanks for this post !
    Kim

• chrholme
    10 years ago

Have you ever tried Jim (or Jimmy) Nardello peppers? They are some of our favorite!

Good luck!

Christina

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

For Jalapenos with no heat, you can grow False Alarm, Delicias or Fooled You. In that group, Fooled You is easiest to find. It normally is available from Tomato Growers Supply Company. Or, you can buy them as plants the spring. They usually are a part of the Bonnie Plants line.

If you want a Jalapeno with some heat (but not too much), you can grow TAM Mild Jalapeno. It comes in at about 1,000 Scoville Heat Units. That might sound like a lot of heat, but it really isn't. Most of the jalapenos my family (including me) enjoys come in at 3,000 to 8,000 Scoville Heat Units. I started out with TAM Mild and progressively worked my way up to eating hotter and hotter varieties.

The hotter and drier the weather, in general, while the peppers are growing, the hotter the pepper. In some very hot, dry years, my favorite jalapeno varieties are almost too hot for me to eat.

I have grown the no-heat ones and I didn't care for them. I thought I'd love them before I grew then, but found that without the heat they just didn't appeal to me.

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

grow Ancho tiny bite but great smokey flavor.
    Tree

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

Carol ruined me last year with Tangerine pepper seeds. They are a small sweet pepper and not a strong producer, but they taste so good that the kids and grand kids kept them stripper. I like the Joe E. Parker also. I am not man enough to eat most hot peppers, but I like the taste they give to food.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Every time I see a post that says hot peppers are easier to grow in Oklahoma than sweet peppers, I want to protest. That certainly isn't true in my garden, so it must have a lot to do with moisture level in the early stages of the plant or something. I grow tons of sweet peppers every year with almost no care. They may get a little water during the dry part of summer, but nothing else. It seems like the hot ones grew better for me BEFORE I improved the soil so much. Some years the hot ones do good and other years they don't, but I always have bell peppers...lots of bell peppers. It also might be the hours of sunlight, because almost all of my garden gets shade at some part of the day.