Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Rain, Beautiful Rain!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Do y'all remember that beautiful wet stuff that falls from the sky?

Some of us will be getting some good rain the next couple of days.

It already has been raining lightly and sporadically here for about 4 hours. I should emphasize that it has been very light and very sporadic, but there's already more than a quarter-inch in the rain gauge with more expected throughout the rest of the day and then the next couple of days.

It is so nice to have rain. I'm even happy at this point to see mud. Mud is better than dust any day of the week.

I've linked the NWS website below. It has a graphic that shows regional projected rainfall totals and another graphic that shows the timing of the rainfall.

I don't know that any of us will get enough rain to make a huge dent in the drought, but all these little bits of moisture that are falling every few days will help some.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Norman Webpage

Comments (10)

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

If you get 2 - 4 inches...that should help!! :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what they are saying, Lisa, and I hope they are right this time. This past summer there was a week when the 5-day QPF looked similar and the rain veered away and completely missed us. I was so disappointed, so I've tried not to get my hopes up too high this time. A lot of the rain is coming up from north central Texas and going to our east, just sliding right by us and has been doing that all day. I need for some of this rain to stay farther west and hit us a little more.

It has rained almost all day and I think we're up to about 0.35" in our rain gauge, so the rainfall has been so light that it barely looks like fog or mist at times. Still, there's days these past two years that I would have killed to have 0.35" of rain. I hope when I wake up tomorrow, there's at least an inch in the rain gauge.

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Dawn, we are having the same problem here and most of the rain is going into Arkansas before it gets far enough north for us. I just checked the rain gauge (midnight) and we are slightly over the quarter inch mark, but I'll take it.

We had a nice day today and I moved seven wheelbarrows of leaves to my garden. Looks like it will be several days before I can finish the process, but I have to go to the dentist tomorrow anyway, so probably wouldn't have gotten the work done even without rain.

The north half of my garden now has a deep leaf cover, but the south side is going to need some re-structuring so I haven't added any leaves to that part.

I placed a seed order with Willhite yesterday, but still haven't placed my Dixondale order. I think I will start some onion seed next week, but probably won't start anything else until mid-February.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know that we're going to get the 2-4" originally forecast. I'm kinda at the point that I think we'll be doing well to get 1-2" at best.

It has been raining, sporadically and very lightly, for over 24 hours and our rain gauge is showing a whopping 0.42". I am happy our Texas neighbors are having some great rainfall totals in some areas. I just wish more of the rain was coming up here.

Of course, there's still the rest of today and tonight and maybe even tomorrow, but based on what we've recorded so far, I am not expecting a lot of rain. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and we get the 2-4" they said we'd get.

• oldokie
    11 years ago

we might have received .2 here but thankful for every drop

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

We've received 1/4" and I'm so very grateful.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol, It drives me crazy to watch the rain on the radar and it is headed right for me all day and then suddenly veers around us right when it gets to us.

We are so muddy now that I cannot do anything. Maybe if the rain puddles soak into the ground today, I can work outside in tomorrow's warm temperatures. We're supposed to hit about 70 degrees tomorrow.

Bon, Isn't it pitiful what a couple of drought years will do for us? It sure teaches us to appreciate rain when it falls, however skimpy the amount.

When I emptied the rain out of the rain gauge this morning, there was 1.2" in there. Considering how lightly and sporadically the rain fell, I am amazed it eventually added up to that amount.

I cannot complain about the amount of rain we've received the last two months. I think our December rainfall total ended up being about average for that month, and January is on track to exceed our monthly average rainfall.

Even a couple of months of good rainfall hardly puts a dent in the rain deficit from 2011 and 2012, but we'll take every drop we can get.

Since our December rainfall was late in the month, if I look at our 30-day rainfall, we look nice and wet...for once.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chickencoupe
    11 years ago

Ice! Ice! Baby! Woke to thunder and tinkling sounds. Good ol' fashioned ice storm. LOVE IT!

• bettycbowen
    11 years ago

The thunder, lightning, ice, now rain was a pretty interesting combination

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bon, I hope it isn't the kind of ice that sticks to power lines and trees! I hope it is just hitting the ground and not things that will break.

Betty, I'd never experienced thundersnow or thundersleet until we moved here. I think the first time we had thundersnow was February 2004. I was at the vet's office and we were standing and watching it snow and you could occasionally see lightning and hear thunder. It was so freaky that first time, but I am more used to it now. Lately, it seems we have thundersnow, thundersleet or both just about every year. I think it is cool mostly because it is fairly rare.

Down here it is only very light rain this morning, but I can hear thunder occasionally.

I'm grateful for every drop of anything wet that falls. I just wish we could store it up and save it for summer.

We've had about 3.5" of precipitation in the last 30 days, so right now everything is muddy and every car that slides off the highway (or other roads) in the rain is instantly bogged down in the wet ground. That's already happening today, so the cops and towing services are going to be busy...and it is barely raining at all! Why can't people here drive in rain? Because it rains so seldom they've forgotten how? : )

I have angry cats looking at me and saying "What is this crap? It's raining again?" After being dry for so long, they've rediscovered how much they dislike having cold, wet paws.

I wouldn't mind if it raining at light to moderate rates every day for weeks and weeks to replenish our soil moisture, if only it would stop in time for us to get our potatoes and onions planted on time.