Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponderpaul

What would you plant

ponderpaul
11 years ago

You have a 20x96 ft greenhouse w/100+ growing tubs in it at your disposal. There is a heater in the pic, but this is strictly a cold house right now.
What veggies would you plant as the temps begin to moderate in a few weeks? Now have mint, 3 kinds of lettuce, New Zealand spinach, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Swiss chard, mustard greens, bunching onions, garlic, seeded carrots that have sprouted and planted potatoes last week. Cucumbers, squash, several varieties of peppers and tomatoes are a given. Looking for things different or unusual.
The pic is not current.

Comments (4)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

well since you asked. I for one when i can build one that large will plant some citus inground. Mine are in containers but my ultimate goal is to do that.

I do have one question. Why the tubs and not inground beds?

Mike

• ponderpaul
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The nursery has some citrus but they are in tubs in heated houses. They seem to do well.
    The tubs were in the house when I "inherited" it. I have the use of another house that I put raised beds in with drip irrigation this past fall. Really like it better but the tubs work well for small lots of many varieties.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Wow! Wish I had a couple of those tubs! Would I have fun!!!!!

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Ponderpaul,

Here's a few to consider:

artichokes

oca

eggplants---they come in a wide range of color, including dark purple, violet, white, green, orange, pinkish purple, land in many striped variations as well as lots of shapes from the standard eggplant shape you see in grocery stores to round ones, slightly fluted ones (Turkish Orange) and long, thin shapes

celery and celeriac

fennel and bronze fennel

cardoon (might not like our heat, though)

soybeans (for edamame)

Italian dandelions (Johnny's Selected Seeds or Seeds From Italy (www.growitalian.com)

unusual broccoli types---I know you listed broccoli, but if all you have is the standard heading broccoli, you could expand your broccoli selections by adding broccoli raab and sprouting broccoli varieties. I really like Piricicaba, which survived the dreadful summer of 2011 in dappled shade and produced in fall after the temperatures moderated and rain fell.

Arugula

Garden Cress

Edible Gourds (Thai bottle gourd, serpente de Sicilia
    Flower Sprouts (Johnny's Selected Seeds) These are from a cross of broccoli and kale. You can see them on the Johnny's Selected Seeds website or, if you have the 2013 catalog, they are on page 13.

Cabbage (there are mini cabbages that grow well in containers) Gonzales and Caraflex are two of the mini-cabbages that I grow.

Endive, Belgian endive and escarole

Asian greens like tatsoi, mizuna, shungiku, tatsoi and pak choy

parsnips

Specialty greens like corn salad, claytonia, golden purslane, red purslane, lamb's quarters (green), magenta spreen (similar to lamb's quarters but with some magenta coloration) and sorrel

parsley root--this is not the same as the leafy parsley herb. This one is grown for the long root that is similar in shape to the very long carrot varieties. One variety commerially available is "Arat".
    aword beans, winged beans

chickpea (aka garbanzo bean)

tomatillo

jicama (you grow it for the white fleshed tuber only, the bean pods and leaves are poisonous) Would need to be trellised and can be a rampant grower.

rutabagas and turnips

Muskmelons (known in this country as cantaloupes) and true cantaloupes, as well as other lesser known melons like Santa Claus/Christmas melons, frogskin melons, honeydew melons and crenshaw melons.

Salsify

Molokhia (Eguptian spinach)

Scorzonera

leeks

shallots

Good King Henry (grown for the greens)

rat's tail radishes (grown for the edible pods which can be added to stir fries)

huauzontle (aka as Aztec spinach)

Chicory and radicchio (Willhite Seeds has a chichory blend so you could try several different varieties of chicory for the price of one seed packet)

Calaloo (grown as a warm weather spinach substitute)

Jerusalem artichokes, burdock, horseradish

sweet potatoes (Duck Creek Farms has an impressive variety of many, many varieties)

mini-watermelons that produce the small refrigerator-sized melons, but most of them will creep over the edges of the containers and trail down the sizes unless trellised. Bush Sugar Baby would spread less than most others. When I grow watermelons in molasses feed tubs, I usually stick a tomato cage in there (homemade sturdy ones, not the little cheap flimsy ones sold in stores) for them to climb

okra--there are dwarf varieties that get between 1 and 4' tall but produce full-sized pods

Southern Peas--not just blackeyed peas, but also cream, zipper and lady peas

HERBS
    agretti (Seeds From Italy has seeds only in winter as they are not viable for very long)
    basil
    dill
    rosemary
    thyme
    chives and garlic chives
    lemon balm
    cumin
    salad burnet
    epazote
    lemongraa
    lovage
    shiso
    oregano
    Mexican Mint Margold (aka as Texas Tarragon)--as a warm-climate French tarragon substitute
    sage
    stevia (a natural sweetner)
    parsley
    chervil
    cutting celery
    sesame
    culantro
    nasturtiums for the edible flowers
    kolhrabi (green and purple varieties)

You could grow some of the unusual and lesser known annual edible fruits like these:

tamarillo
    jelly melon
    cassabanana
    litchi
    wonderberry
    garden huckleberry
    jaltomato
    cape gooseberry
    naranjilla
    wild strawberries and alpine strawberries grown from seed
    strawberry spinach--can be grown for the little red fruit and the leaves, sometimes this is also known as beet berry

You could grow some of the perennial fruit adapted to container culture:

figs
    columnar apples
    pawpaw (need 2 different varieties for pollination) eventually might outgrow greenhouse, but are cold hardy and then could be transferred to ground
    goji
    seaberry
    honeyberry
    huckleberry
    (I am not sure how heat-tolerant the last 4 would be)

In the nut tree category, there's hazlenuts. You'd need two different varieties for pollination. There are some varieties that top out at 8-12'.

Citrus frjuits in pots are always wonderful. My mandarin orange is in bloom right now. Any dwarf fruit tree can be grown in containers.

Don't forget edible flowers. I've already mentioned nasturtiums, but there are others. One that is a little unusual is Red Roselle. You harvest the red calyxes from the flowers and use them to make a red zinger tea. Other edible flowers include pot marigolds (aka calendula) and viola tricolor,

That is about all I can think of, though I am sure I have forgotten some things.

Dawn

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals