Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seeker1122

free fig trees

seeker1122
11 years ago

DH came home from work yesterday with 3 fig tree runners
that someone at his work had potted up. I know nothing about what to do with them until planting time or when planting time is. I have a spare bed room I keep closed up year round so it's not heated and has a large bay window for sun should I put the pot in there?
2 of the runners are dormant 1 has a tiny bit of growth at the top.
I tried looking all this up on the fig forum and 4000 things popped up.I went through all the ones here but didn't find my answers.
I'm trying to get him to find out what kind they are.
The only place I have to plant them is on the west of my house where they'll get morning sun then shade all day.
My house in OKC had a fig that only got morning sun and it would produce figs.
Thanks for any help
TREE

Comments (8)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Tree, You could just set the containers with the figs outside in a sheltered location, but I'd bring them in during very cold weather since they are so young and so small. Or, I think they'd be fine in the spare room if you want to keep them there. If they leaf out while they are indoors, you may need to harden them off to outside wind and sunlight gradually the same way you would with any plants raised indoor from seed. I put my fig trees (I grow them in large pots) in the garage on very cold nights but otherwise leave them outdoors.

Figs are one of the easiest tree fruits to grow. All they really need is moderately well-drained soil, a minimum of roughly 4-5 hours of direct sun daily and protection from cold temperatures. Without knowing which variety you have, we have no idea how cold-hardy they are. Because yours are young and small, I'd wait and plant them closer to the end of winter/beginning of spring after the chance of a really hard freeze has passed.

Most of the fig trees that I see growing here are either Brown Turkey or Texas Everbearing. Both of the figs I have are Brown Turkey. Chicago Hardy is a more cold-tolerant one, and I sometimes see Black Mission in stores here. I hope you can find out what kind of figs you have. If the person who gave them to your husband doesn't know what kind they are, we may be able to figure it out from the color of the fruit once they start producing.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

That's fantastic, Tree! I have always wanted to grow a fig, but I just don't have the room for any more trees!

Keep us posted on your progress with them because I am very interested.

Susan

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

I am confused. If they are on the west side of the house, how will they have morning sun and afternoon shade? Will they be far away from the house? Are there trees to the west to shade them or another building?

I would keep them in that cool bedroom, but they don't need to have direct sunlight until they break dormancy. They'll probably break sooner in the house so I would keep them inside in bright light after that and then, as Dawn suggests, harden them off after the last frost. Even a light frost can kill the early fruit if they are big enough to fruit. Then you can plant them outside after frost free time.

• seeker1122
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry I've been sick all week
    the east side of the house
    tree

• deb4tune1912
    10 years ago

I have old fig trees on the south side of my house. They create a jungle and i do absolutely nothing to them except benign neglect. They grow fruit but the birds beat me to most of it. Anyone have ideas for beating the birds to the fruit?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Deb,

Put bird netting over them and it will keep the birds off the fruit. You have to use a very large piece of netting and gather it around the trunk and tie it with garden twine or something so they cannot fly up underneath the netting from the ground.

Bird netting is available in various sizes, and to cover a large tree will require a lot of netting. You usually can find it at nurseries, garden centers at stores like Lowe's or Home Depot or even big box stores like Wal-Mart during the gardening season.You need the one that has squares no bigger than 1/2 or 5/8" in order to keep out small birds. You also can order it online.

I have to fight the birds for every fig I get.

Dawn

• deb4tune1912
    10 years ago

Dawn: there are 6 of them and they take up about 20 feet. I'll look for a sale! Thanks.

• bettycbowen
    10 years ago

I hope some day my figs have enough fruit for me to ight birds for.

This post was edited by bettycbowen on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 16:08

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor