Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
veggie garden is ready!

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 18:00

I took advantage of the warm day to get 2 truck loads of mulch. this area was an over grown garden with a couple of 6" trunk trees. I kid you not this was a 60x25' jungle. the north side will be my orchard. Still need to do some work there but at least I can get my veggies going when it is time

Hey dawn. any chance I can put a couple apples by that big cedar. I have 2 peaches there now. the ones with white trunk wrap and plan for 2 more and a few plums. I doubt I can without risking cedar apple rust. my daughter loves apples so much that I need to grow a few. I have another area that I could maybe put her some apple trees further away.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: veggie garden is ready!

Mike, You can plant all the apples you want. Just be sure to spray them with Immunox or some other fungicide labeled for use on apple trees as directed. Please note--you need to spray the trees before they are infected. If you wait until you see signs of CAR, it is too late. The spray works as a preventive measure only, I believe. I'll link something that tells you how to prevent CAR on apple trees and how to deal with it if your tree is infected with it. If I walked outside tonight, well...tomorrow, in daylight hours, and looked to my south at the neighbor's property, I'd see dozens, if not hundreds of cedar trees right there beside our property, which explains why I've never planted apples here. If I look north I see the same thing. If I walk back to our back property line about 1000' west of the house, we have dozens of cedar trees, and many of them are 40-60' tall or even taller, so I'll never be free of cedar trees......and likely never will plant apples, though I'd love to grow them.

It doesn't matter if your apple trees are a few feet from a cedar, or a hundred feet, or a hundred yards. The disease spores can travel a quarter-mile to a mile or more. (It depends on which direction the trees are located from your trees and on the direction of your prevailing winds during the infection period of the CAR cycle.) If you spray religiously with an appropriate fungicide labeled for use on apple trees, following label directions, you ought to be able to keep the apples free of cedar apple rust, and then all you have to worry about is coddling moths and fire blight.

There are some apple trees that are more tolerant of or resistant to CAR, so you can help yourself a lot just by choosing one of those cultivars.

My grandfather grew Granny Smith apples in Texas with cedar trees all around and I never saw CAR on his trees, but that was in the 1970s, I guess, and I was too young to pay attention to whether he was spraying them or not. I was just excited that he grew apples (and dewberries!).

To me, growing fruit is a zillion times harder than veggies because there are so many diseases and pests that love fresh, locally-grown fruit just as much as we do. That makes it much harder to get a great fruit harvest than a veggie harvest, and I treasure our home-grown fruit all the more because it is harder to achieve.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Apple Rust

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:12

Thanks for the info Dawn. I found a pretty good list of the susceptibility of each type. Its too bad some of my favorites are Highly susceptible. I agree nothing beats homegrown fruit.

Mike

o

You're welcome. I hope you'll keep us posted on your apple-growing adventure.

o

Maybe we need a disease that affects red cedar trees in Oklahoma. It is hard to take a drive in Oklahoma without seeing hundreds of them and they are popping up in pastures everywhere and not being removed. We have always had them around, but I was shocked to see how bad it had become as we drove from Texas on Highway 75 in November.

My son lives in an area that has no cedar trees around and his apples are wonderful with no spraying of anything. One year the freezing weather hit at the wrong time, but the other years they have picked many apples. I can what I want, and so do they, plus they dry some, then always have apples to give away to their friends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here