Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Passion that never dies...

Lisa_H OK
11 years ago

Passion vine, that is! (did you think I was spamming the forum? :) )

I had no idea this passion vine would never go dormant. I thought last year was just an anomaly, but we've had some serious cold this year and it is still green.

If you need green in winter, this vine will give it to you. (Hopefully Susan can chime in with the correct name of this vine, I'm not sure which passion vine it is) The bush next to the vine is a china rose bush, cramoisi superieur (I think!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblees: Cramoisi Superieur

Comments (9)

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan, here's an up close photo of the leaves.

• seedmama
    11 years ago

Did I think you were spamming the forum? No, actually I thought this was somehow going to be one of your posts about zuchetta on blue water....

The passion vine is lovely by the way.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

If the blooms are white with blue filaments, it is Passiflora caerulea, reportedly hardy in Oklahoma. I cannot personally attest to that because I lost two of them over two separate winters.

I think it must be that particular species, Lisa, because my P. incarnate (with Lavender blooms) is completely dormant (it is root hardy).

I saw your photos of it last year blooming and it was a stunner!

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, Seedmama....I ordered more zucchetta seeds earlier today :) I made sure to order enough to share the wealth!

Susan, I think you are right. Actually I have another passiflora that has some green vines, but most of it went dormant. It set fruit this summer. I'll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

The saddest thing...all that pretty vine and it didn't have a single gulf frit on it this year. I found one or two cats on the passiflora next to my house. I am pretty sure that one is Lavender Lady.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

No Gulf Frits this last summer, Lisa? You have to be kidding me! I had them all over my PV. They totally ignored the Lavender Lady and went for the Maypops - P. incarnata. Next time let me know and if I have them, I'll be happy to drive some cats over to your house.

P. incarnata is the one that attracts the Variegated Frit to lay eggs as well. I had so many last year in spring and had never had them before. There was a huge population of them in the US this year, so we probably won't see as many this next year. They also use certain species of Violets, but they ate the native PV to nubs. It grew back and I had tons for the GFs when they arrived. I also had a couple batches of Black Swallowtails on the Fennel - very low numbers this year everywhere. I had lots of Red Admirals early, but they suffered high parasitization rates this year early on. Seemed like every little nest I opened had a tiny white cocoon in it instead of a caterpillar.

I hope we have a good summer for the good bugs this year. Far too many bad ones last year. But, I am not complaining about the butterflies. I just didn't have as much time to enjoy them as I would have liked.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know Susan! I couldn't understand it. I had enough passion vine for the entire state's population of gulf frits!

I'll take you up on the cat adoption!

I'm with you on the bugs and I'm hoping for a much better butterfly year!

Lisa

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Lisa, I saw a QM the other day, and a friend in North Texas has Variegated Fritillary eggs - can you believe it? It's getting close!

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I believe it! I am already starting the bed clean up. It has been so warm that I figured I'd better get moving on it. I can only do a little bit every day since I work, but if I keep at it, it will eventually all get done!

I saw a daffodil blooming the other day on my walk through Nichols Hills. Oh my. I have foliage, but no flowers yet.

I'm trying to claim back that bed in the picture. I have just let it be wild and I finally couldn't take it any more! I hoed out a bunch of henbit and other winter weeds from the far end, and mulched it with some cotton burr compst, but I need to work on the closer end and I have got to get on top of the bermuda in there. It sneaks across the fence from the neighbors.

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

Ha! I have never known Bermuda to "sneak". It loudly proclaims its presence and never ceases to miss a moment to taunt me by reappearing and reappearing and reappearing. Egads, I wish I could thrash it with a hoe and it be gone forever.......

I have a really bad bed which that obnoxious weed has reclaimed. I think I am going to have to dig up the good plants, clean the roots off so that I don't have any Bermuda rhizomes hiding in them and hire fire-breathing dragons to clear the entire bed of Bermuda and the surrounding soil in at least a 2-mile circumference from center, and maybe I can return the plants to this bed for a couple years before I have to deal with it again.

When I see people talk about clearing the Bermuda from areas of their yards to plant a garden, I always hope that some new weapon will be discovered to be shared with the world. (Can you imagine the money someone would make on a patent)? Still hoping......

Susan