Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldokie

replacing fruit trees

oldokie
11 years ago

I need to replace a plumcot tree and a peach tree in my orchard.

Can I remove the old stump (wind got it) replace the trees.

Some of my trees are getting older and need to be replaced and there is disease and bore problems. But I do not see moving them 20 ft away and using garden space would make a difference. I can not move new trees far enough away from established orchard to make a difference in exposure to pest and disease. I just have to work hard at spraying

Comments (4)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Yes. For most of us home gardeners, we could not move the trees far enough to keep borers from finding them once borers are established on the property. We just have to do the best we can with the available amount of land we've got.

• oldokie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mrs okiedawn What do you use for bores

I have the fruit worms under control but the bores are ahead of me

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

I use nothing, really. Because I garden organically, I focus on soil health in the hope that if I keep the soil healthy, the trees will be healthy and will not be attractive to borers and other insects. So far, that has worked out really well. I've grown fruit trees for almost 30 years with no spraying whatsoever and my trees usually last 10-15 years. Plum trees last about 15, peach trees about 10. I am willing to replace trees more often in exchange for not using chemicals on them.

To repel borers and keep them from coming to the trees, I grow garlic in a ring around the trees. It works for me or I am just really lucky and the borers stay away for whatever reason. I also like to grow nasturtiums and other flowers around the trees to attract beneficial insects that will work to keep the pest insects under control. Buckwheat is great for this purpose. I usually just order one of the seed packets of Insectary Mixes put together to attract beneficial insects, or that's how I started in the beginning. Now I have a lot of those plants around just naturally because they reseed. They tend to attract the little beneficial predatory wasps that prey upon pests of fruit trees.

I am, at heart, a hands-off gardener. I try to enrich and improve the soil, and let the soil take care of the plants. It works well for the most part. I was converted to organic gardening, slowly, over a period of years by listening to the radio show of the Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett, when I lived in Fort Worth. I also read his weekly newspaper columns and some of his books. I'm going to link the page from his website that talks about borers. He mentions tree goop, and you can do a search on his website to find his recipe for tree goop.

Some organic gardeners I know put a band of Tanglefoot around their trees down near the ground during borer season. If the borers try to climb up onto the tree trunk, they get stuck in the Tanglefoot. I remember my dad using Tanglefoot long ago.

On my To Do List for 2013 is "Read the book 'The Holistic Orchard'" and I expect to learn a great deal from it, but I just haven't had time to do it yet. I look forward to seeing what someone who grows holistically has to say about how to keep fruit trees of all kinds healthy.

So far I have steered clear of plantng apple trees because of all the cedar trees here. I haven't been willing to invest time and money in apple trees I'd likely have to spray with Immunox because of Cedar Apple Rust. One of these days I'm just going to throw caution to the wind and plant an apple tree or two. I do have a friend who grows Granny Smith apples and occasionally gives me some so I can make Apple Pie Jam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dirt Doctor: Peach Tree Borers

• butchfomby
    11 years ago

USE ROCK DUST FOR A VERY HEALTHY SOIL (TREE)...GOOGLE REMINERALIZE THE EARTH...ALSO HELP WITH DISEASES....ALSO MAKE A ROCK DUST SPRAY ...1 CUP OF DUST (USE PANTY HOSE) TO 5 GAL OF WATER, MIX WELL, LET SIT 24 HOURS AT LEAST...HOPE THIS HELPS YOU....ROY