Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased area on Fuji apple branch

Posted by mulberryknob z6OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 21:40

Does anyone know what caused this area on our apple tree? This is a horizontal branch that comes off the main trunk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased area on Fuji apple branch

It kind of looks like these 'black rot' pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Disease

o

Thanks Carol. It does look like it. I tried going to the fact sheets, but couldn't get it to come up, but that gives me a starting term.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 16:19

Looks like fire blight. Check out the AB15 photo in the link sooner posted.

How does your Fuji do here. I am still deciding if I want to try apples. My concern is the Gigantic Cedar that will be with a few yards of my orchard.

Mike

o

It could be both. My initial guess would have been fire blight just because it is so common on apples and their relatives here in OK. However, it could be black rot or it could be both. Black rot often sets in after the initial damage is done by fire blight.

Mike, If you don't mind spraying your apples with something like Immunox at the precisely right time of the year, you can grow apples near cedar trees. I would love to grow apples but so far have resisted planting them (for 15 years now) because I don't want to deal with cedar apple rust or, as far as that goes, with all the pests attracted to the trees/fruit. The folks who grow apples in my neighborhood have to deal with a lot of coddling moths.

Dawn

o

MK we do spray our trees several times each spring with organic spray we get from Nitron Industries in Springdale. Something for fireblight and dormant oil for moths. And we do have cedars near. We cut them on our place but there are others on neighbors' place close by. I don't know which disease this is. We didn't see twig dieback on this tree last summer so didn't think it was fireblight. We'll cut the limb but hate to since it is almost a third of this young tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here