Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

2013-2014 Official Dixondale Onion Ordering Thread

seedmama
10 years ago

It's time to get the fourth annual Dixondale Farms group onion order together! (Can I just say I can't believe it's already our fourth go 'round?)

1. The price per bunch this year is $2.80, assuming a minimum group order of 60 bunches. For more information on this year's price read below.
2. You may order any variety of onion Dixondale sells. See the link below.
3. Orders are prepaid, and all money for orders must be received by me no later than Friday, January 17, 2014, so chop chop. (There's a little onion humor for you.)
4. There will be no group leek order this year.
5. I will request delivery the week of Februrary 10th. You will pick them up from me on Thursday, February 13 between 6 and 7 p.m. If you are unable to pick up your onions, it is YOUR responsibility to make arrangements for someone else to pick up them up. P-mac has historically volunteered to cart the alliums to Norman.
6. Any onions not picked up will be donated to the recipient of my choice. I am willing, but NOT ABLE, to make special, individual arrangements for pick up.
7. I will email you privately with the centralized pick up location in Oklahoma City, and ask that you do not post the location publicly.
8. If you don't want to pick up in OKC, I will ship to you at cost for a flat rate box. Choose a medium flat rate box ($12.35) which will hold 9 bunches, or a large flat rate box (17.45) which will hold 20 bunches. With 2014 rate increases, most out of towners will be further ahead by ordering directly from Dixondale.
9. If you do not live in the OKC metro area (Yukon to Choctaw, and Edmond to Norman) and plan to pick up your onions, I require a deposit equal to what it would cost to ship them. If you show up, your separate, uncashed check will be in the sack with your onions. If you don't show, the check will be cashed to cover the cost of shipping.
10. Historically the onions have arrived at my place Tuesday. Last year they gave me a terrible fright and didn't arrive until 2 p.m. on group delivery day. If the same happens this year, I will post on the forum, and do my best to send everyone and email to notify we will reschedule to Saturday. Please check the forum at 4:30 for a notice.

How do I participate?
1. Post your onion order on this thread. A copy of your post will be emailed to me.
2. Next, email me directly through garden web. It doesn't have to say much but must include your cell phone. The purpose is to ensure I have a current email for you, and can contact you directly in the event of a mix up on delivery day. Please indicate whether it is okay to text you in the event of a last minute delivery reschedule.
3. I will email you my address with a total so you can send payment promptly.
4. Your payment must be received by Friday, January 14, or your order will not be placed. A million thanks to those who have always sent timely payment. Fair warning to those who have tested this date historically. This year you will be out of luck.
5. I am not able to accept any late orders. Please accept my apologies in advance for not having time to respond to your request.
6. I encourage you to peruse the Dixondale website. It contains valuable information on how to prepare your garden before the plants arrive. Prompt planting impacts success, so have your space ready to go.
7. Don't hesitate to ask questions about placing your order on this thread. We had lots of good questions last year, and it helped the process go well for everyone involved. Note there is a separate thread for questions about growing onions, as that helps keep my inbox clean.
Notes on Pricing
Dixondale changed their pricing policy in 2013, and the price per bunch in this order reflects that change. Historically, once we hit the 30 bunch benchmark, we received the discounted price of $2.55 for all bunches. However, with their new pricing structure the higher rate of $11 for 1 bunch kicks back in each time we go over 30, 60, etc. For example, a 45 bunch order will be priced as a 30 bunch order and a 15 bunch order. This variable created a challenge for me in setting the price. Depending on how many are ordered, the cost to me will fall somewhere between $2.57 and $2.80. I am passing the 2.80 price point on to you, to keep it simple and to ensure I am not out of pocket. This is a service project for me. It is not, and never has been, a money making endeavor. If a potential overage of up to $.23 is of concern, the group order is not for you. 
Dixondale onions can usually be found around the metro for much less money. Newbies may wonder why some of us, including uber-frugal Seedmama, are willing to pay this premium price. Group order onions are pulled and shipped on a Monday and are in your hands by Thursday. Not only are they fresh, they are shipped at a time that, on average, is the best time to plant for our area. Furthermore, we have a much larger selection of varieties. There is no way to know how long plants have set in local stores, or what cold/warm/cold/warm conditions they have been stored in. Furthermore, variety selection is limited, and the consumer has no control over when the plants arrive in stores. That doesn't make supporting your local nursery a bad idea. It's just that the group order caters more to those of us who want some degree of control over the factors that impact our success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dixondale Farms

Comments (32)

• jcheckers
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Seedmama!
    Count me in again. For now I'd like
    2bunches: Super Star
    2bunches: 1015Y Texas Super Sweet
    2bunches: Texas Early White

This order will likely increase as there is some interest by my coworkers. Also I got your email this morning and will reply to it soon. I know you're very busy and want to thank you for taking the time to do a group order again this year.

Keith

• okfella
    10 years ago

Wonderful that you made time to admin this, tyvm!

I will order 3 bunches of Candy yellow onions, and also 2 bunches of Red Candy Apple.

Email is also on the way.

• dulahey
    10 years ago

I will participate for the first time by getting 2 bunches of the Intermediate Day Sampler.

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi All!

I have received and recorded these three orders. I am using a PO box this year for payment, and can't remember the number. Hope to make it by there today, and then I will send that and your total.

Dulahey,
    For some reason your email address isn't showing up on the email you sent me directly. It identifies you only as a gardenweb user. Please send me your email address so I can forward the mailing address to you.

Thanks!

• carsons_mimi
    10 years ago

Perfect timing Seedmama! I've been dreaming of my seed list for 2014 and this always serves as a reminder to get my rear in gear and those seeds in cups. ;-)

My order this year will consist of 2 Candy and 2 Red Candy Apple. I'm sticking with the tried and true varieties that have produced well for me. I'll have hubby remind his coworker at corporate (who has joined us before) to post if she's interested in participating again.

Thank you for your efforts getting my gardening season off and running each year. I truly appreciate all the time and energy you put into our little OK GW 'family'.

• p_mac
    10 years ago

I'm in!! And yes, I'll be the "go-for" for the Norman/Moore bunch. And Dulahey - I think you're far enough south I could fetch yours too.

1 Texas Legend (TXL)
    2 1015Y Super Sweet
    1 Hybrid Southern Belle Red (SBR)
    2 Red Creole
    3 White Bermuda
    2 Candy (CAN)

As always, Seedmama - your efforts are very appreciated!

Paula

• chrholme
    10 years ago

Seedmama- You are AWESOME! Thank you! Do you need brown paper grocery bags again this year? I have already been saving them up for you if you do!

I would like to order:

(2) Short Day Samplers
    (2) Intermediate Day Samplers

Again, thank you so much for giving us your valuable time and energy!

Christina

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey All!

I am pleased once again to be able to do this. It is a pleasure!

I have now sent emails to the following individuals with my PO Box and the total. If the total doesn't look right to you based on how many bunches your ordered, please let me know as the total calculates automatically when I enter your bunches.

okfella
    p-mac
    carsons_mimi
    jcheckers
    dulahey

Several of you asked if I am interested in brown paper bags again this year. They are certainly not a requirement, but if you have extras, yes, I would love to have them. See you soon!

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Dana....I sent you an e-mail with my (and Katie's) order - you're awesome for doing this - hope you have time for your OWN garden, too!!

Sharon

• theflyingace
    10 years ago

i second shankins123 - you rock. i'm excited for onions this year! thank you!

- katie

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Amendment to my order...
    This is the total of what we need (so please ignore the e-mail I sent you - if you've already added them in, the only thing that is different is adding the Short-Day Sampler)...
    1 bunch Texas Legend
    1 bunch Texas Early White
    1 bunch Candy
    1 bunch Super Star
    1 bunch Short-Day Sampler

Thanks! I'll be looking for the e-mail and address :)

Sharon

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DS of Mardel,
    I received your email but don't have a return email address for you. I think it may be because you originated your email from GardenWeb. Please email me again and include your email and cell phone in the body of the email. Next, please post your order on this thread as well. That helps me keep accurate records and provides me with an audit trail.

Thanks,

Seedmama

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for doing this again, Seedmama. I've rounded up a few coworkers this year, so this is our order. An email is forthcoming after I click "post."

1 intermediate sampler
    1 short day sampler
    2 red candy apple
    1 candy
    1 superstar

• Lynn Dollar
    10 years ago

This is my first year here. Good to know about this ! This is great that you go to the trouble. I planted Dixondale last year and was very happy.

I'd like

2 - 1015Y Texas Super Sweet

2 - Candy

1 - Red Candy Apple

Thanks again, an email is on the way

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have sent my PO Box to the following, and added them to my spreadsheet.

okfella
    p-mac
    carsons_mimi
    jcheckers
    dulahey
    shankins
    mia

I am looking forward to receiving an email from LC Dollar, so I can forward my address. Welcome to the forum!

I haven't received an email address to DS from Mardel, so that is on hold.

Seedmama

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Just so you know....I sent you an e-mail confirming 5 bunches...check will be in the mail on Monday :)
    Sharon

• susanlrich
    10 years ago

This is my second year with the garden and the first year to really plan plant orders. Looking forward to better onion varieties.
    My order is:
    1 bunch intermediate day sampler
    1 bunch 1015Y Texas super sweet

• shallot
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for arranging this! I am excited to try growing onions his year.

I would like to order these bunches please
    1 short day sampler
    1 intermediate day sampler
    1 Texas 1015y super sweet.

Thank you!

Charlotte

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Hey, Shallot, we are both doing a short and intermediate sampler. Can we compare notes later this summer and see how we do with each? I never know which will be the best for my location (in OKC) and always wonder if I would do better to get two of one or the other for my limited space.

Two years ago, I did the two samplers and I couldn't for the life of me remember which sampler grew best, but it was sort of a bad onion year and my first attempt. Last year, I bought my Dixondales at the store, and the varieties were not named exactly as their website so I am not sure what I had except for the Texas 1015Y, which I know did well for me (and is included in the short sampler). The other I grew last year was just called "sweet red" so I don't know if it was short or intermediate. I swear, I plan to make notes this time so gardening amnesia doesn't get me again!

• carsons_mimi
    10 years ago

Seedmama, I emailed you DS' email address as well as her most recent correspondence with me. You should be able to contact her directly now. Call me if you need anything else.

Thanks!

• p_mac
    10 years ago

Seedmama - I need to amend my order!!! Please change the 2 bunches of Candy to 2 Short Day Samplers. So my order should now be:

1 Texas Legend (TXL)
    2 1015Y Super Sweet
    1 Hybrid Southern Belle Red (SBR)
    2 Red Creole
    3 White Bermuda
    2 Short Day Samplers

(A person from work changed her mind.) This shouldn't change my total and the check is going in the mail today!

Paula

• p_mac
    10 years ago

BUMP!!!

Close to the dead line just in case anyone missed it!

• debi1
    10 years ago

If its not too late I would like to order these bunches please

2 - 1015Y Texas Super Sweet
    2 - Candy
    2 1015Y Super Sweet

Thank You,
    Debi

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

susanlrich,

I sent you a couple of emails. If your area code is linked to where you actually live, you should not order with us. Your ideal time to plant is now or last week. Getting your onions with us in February will yield inferior results.

Seedmama

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have sent all order participants the pick up location. I ask that you not disclose the location publicly. If you did not receive an email, please contact me directly.

Seedmama

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Thanks again for doing the group order, Seedmama! My bunches of onions look especially full and lovely this year. I cannot wait to get outdoors this weekend and get them in the ground. My two co-workers who got bunches from the order thank you, too!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mia,

It's a pleasure, and it's always so nice to see my garden buddies mid-winter. It's going to be a beautiful weekend for planting.

This year's order went off without a hitch. That makes it really easy to say let's do this again next year!

Seedmama

• dulahey
    10 years ago

Thank you for doing this, Seedmama. I wasn't even going to bother with onions this year, but when I saw the post go up, I figured I should give Dixondale a try since they are spoken so highly of.

I got off work early today so I came home and got mine in the ground. I only ordered 2 bunches, but I ended up planting 170 onions. I probably tossed out about a dozen that were broken or had some other major malfunction. But that's definitely way more than the estimated 60 per bundle. I ended up with over 80 per bundle.

How well do they handle the cold right now? Is covering them with straw or something a must right now?

• shankins123
    10 years ago

Thanks again for placing our order, Dana! Today the wind about sent me over the edge, but tomorrow afternoon...even if it's windy I'm going to prep and plant :-)

So glad we're starting!
    Sharon

• carsons_mimi
    10 years ago

OMG! My 'little' order of 4 bundles = 500+ slips planted over the weekend. And that was after pitching quite a few skinnys into the compost.

Thanks Seedmama (I think ). :-)

• seedmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Friends,

You are very welcome! It was a pleasure! I, too, was impressed with the quantity in the bunches, and also with them being "just the right size". That's my interpretation of neither too big to adapt, or too small to thrive.

You may recall I ordered 19 bunches last year, and by the time the onions arrived I was in a new job that doesn't allow time for gardening. Seedpapa planted them all. This year, he set the limit at 2 bunches, so I only ordered 5. The overstuffed bunches kept him busy last weekend.

We are still eating onions from last year. The ones we stored so carefully in the basement started sprouting about 8 weeks ago, but the ones we never managed to get out of the garage are still good. Go figure!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Dulahey,

Onions are fairly cold-tolerant, but can suffer freeze damage or death when the temperatures drop down to about 20 degrees. If you have those kinds of temperatures after you put the onions in the ground, you usually can protect them with mulch or by throwing a lightweight breathable textile covering over them while the temperatures are near or below 20 degrees.

Dawn