Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
galvanized steel roofing for raised beds

Posted by 4thebeautyoftheearth 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 22:49

Hi! I have seen pictures of raised beds made from steel roofing and my (very handy) husband and I are considering constructing similar beds for our garden. Our only concern is whether the metal would raise the temperature of the beds siginificantly. Has anyone had experience with these types of beds? Any words of wisdom? Here is a link to a picture of the kind of bed I am referring to:
http://eyeheart.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/amazing-raised-beds/

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: galvanized steel roofing for raised beds

You might find this info interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Noble Foundation Raised Bed Gardening

o

Thank you so much, soonergrandmom. Very helpful!!

o

I will throw in my $.02 worth because I have been considering the same. All sheet metals are not the same. I used some cheap galv. from Ace hardware for a ground contact application and it did not last long (I am in a wet area). I am using a better grade of steel now for my roof and plan on finding a project to use up my leftovers, if any. The material I am using now is Galvalume which seems to resist rust better.(also reflects heat better) It is also 36" wide while the other was 24" wide. Both galvanized and galvalume will react with the copper in the treated wood. If I do go this route I will try to protect the metal with some type of coating, which may be paint, building felt or plastic, I have used driveway sealer, but the best thing I can say about driveway sealer is that it is cheap.

To make long cuts like is shown on the link, your best bet is a friction disc. They come as an abrasive disc and a diamond coated disc, which will cost between 8 and 20 dollars. (all of these cuts can be made with metal snips if your hands are young enough to use them) A cutting torch would be nice, but I dont have one. I think you will need to shield the edges because the metal in so thin that it would be easy to cut yourself on. You will also need special nails or screws to work on this type of project.

I like the idea of using the composite board, but I understand it is very costly.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here