Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guernica132

Transplanting in early May

guernica132
11 years ago

Hey ya'll, I am new to growing annuals in beds and was wondering if it would be too late to transplant Four o' Clocks, Snapdragons, and Sweet William in Tulsa during the first week of May. The seeds were started indoors and have just now germinated. My husband and I are moving into a new home the last week of April, so it's about the earliest I can transplant.

When I was a kid in Bartlesville I remember my grandparents transplanting that late in the season, but Tulsa is slightly warmer and I know we've also had unseasonably warm temperatures in May the last few years... enough for the USDA to update our hardiness zone. Thus my concern.

Alternatively, can I grow them in containers? I'm pretty sure my four o' clocks will since, well, they're four o' clocks and survive just about anything. But these plants are the "deluxe" or large variety and will grow to at least two feet (sweet william) and three feet (snapdragons and four o' clocks). I've seen how much giant containers are, and I really don't want to spend that kind of money right now. Any advice is appreciated!

-h

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH