Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

My kalanchoe be like....

chickencoupe
10 years ago

Come on boys, let's leaf up, maybe she'll put us outside so we can color!

My English pea sprouts be like ... BOING!

My seed collection be like...... PLANT ME NOW.

Little Miss be like.... Momma, where do we plant my sunflower seed the SUN IS OUT an iz 'posed ta be warm fer a week and maybe more!!?

My heart be like.....

siiiiiiiiiiiigh....halleluyah!!

Comments (10)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump... (I finally convinced her it was way too early for the flowers.)

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Yeah, I know...

Just like I didn't direct sow cabbages, mustard greens, collard greens, broccoli, bibb lettuce, beets, turnips...and more, today, either. ;)

Now, I gotta break out the sprinkler...

Gonna wait until after the first of the month to plant anything else.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Bon....you can Wintersow! Start with all the early spring stuff...poppies, larkspur, ect. They should be germinating right now if not growing.

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, my poppies are sprouting. yay! I didn't have time to get all those you sent in the ground. It's hard to decide where, ya know? Got the red salvia in. Don't see it coming up. Think I might cold strat some more of those and a few I haven't, yet.

Milkweed is germinating!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Red salvia will come up later. It is a warm season annual for me. (Blooms late in the summer)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Red salvia will come up later. It is a warm season annual for me. (Blooms late in the summer)

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay!

• wbonesteel
    10 years ago

Lisa, we definitely need to add more spring color to the flower gardens. The poppies haven't come up, yet. The daffies are growing, but no stems or buds, so far. Same wrt the grape hyacinths...and that's about it for spring color around here, at the moment. If I get the sprinkler out and water the gardens, with the warmer weather, we should see things begin to pop up a bit.

We have five veggie beds that I want to amend with compost and magnesium sulfate before I plant anything in them, but I'll wait until the first of next month to tie into that little job. Eight veggie beds have been planted, four need amendments, and five more are ready to plant. We also have twelve small beds, 3'X3', that are either set aside for tomatoes or planted with spring crops. In the meantime, there's a few stubborn weeds that wintered over and a couple of wheelbarrows of leaves to rake out of the corners and edges of the gardens. There's a few weeds to get out of the gravel driveway. The garlic beds need to be cleaned up and there's an iris bed needs to be cleaned up a bit before spring, as well. The shade garden on the north side of the house needs some work, but I think I'll let it go wild, at least until full summer.

This year, we have more strawberries than I know what to do with. I'm thinking of using them as a ground cover in some of the flowerbeds. So, there's plenty enough to keep me busy around here until the first of the month.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I'm out watering today....with the forecast I'm concerned that is going to encourage early greening up, but I'm afraid NOT to water at this point.

Lisa

• chickencoupe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too. Doesn't look like rain for quite some time.