Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ynde_gw

Pink flowering grass?

ynde
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm not certain if this is the right spot to ask this, but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I lived in the Oklahoma Panhandle a few years ago, and one of my favorite things was that after it rained the grass would produce these tiny pale pink flowers. I never thought to ask anyone the name of the grass while I was there, and have been wondering ever since.

I did some searching, but without much information to go on, the only possibility I could find was that it might be burrograss. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any photos of the flowers that burrograss produces.

Does anyone happen to know what grass this was and where I might be able to find a picture of the flowers? Thanks so much!

Kim

Comments (7)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

I believe you are right.

Here is a link that might be useful: burrograss info

• ynde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photo! That helps quite a bit. Assuming that the tufts in the photo are the flowers, then I was wrong about the burrograss. The plant that I was thinking of has small flowers with either four or five petals each (sorry, I don't seem to be able to remember. My memory says five, but then I know how reliable my memory isn't :) )

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm a long way from the Oklahoma panhandle and have clay soil so the native plants here in southern OK may be different from the ones in the panhandle. The flowers that bloom here after a rainfall are rain lilies and we have them on our property in both white-flowered and pink-flowered versions, but I think they usually have six petals. I've linked a photo of a white-flowered one below.

We have a short native pink-flowered wildflower here called meadow pink that might be similar to the one you're thinking of, but it doesn't necessarily bloom only after rainfall, although in dry years it does.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainlily--Cooperia Drummondii

• ynde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol -- it could have been six petals too (I'm really pretty bad at this aren't I?)

The years I was there were all pretty dry, so that certainly might have been a factor. It's definitely possible that they grow all the time in a less dry year.

The meadow pink is too bright a pink for the ones I'm thinking of (though they are lovely!), and I think the petals were rounder than the rain lily, but I'm not sure -- what size do the flowers tend to be?

The reason that I ask is that something that I remember about them (other than the blooming after the rain) is that they were tiny -- half an inch or less. They grew really close to the ground too, which is why I assumed that they were a grass. Now that I think about it, though, they certainly could have just been a wildflower growing in the grass.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I don't know the name of the tiny pink wildflower that grows low to the ground, but I have seen them here too. They remind me of bluets in size and appearance, but are pink.

There's a small pink and white wildflower that blooms here in March and April called "Spring Beauty" but since you said pink, and not pink and white, it probably isn't the one you are looking for either.

I'm going to link the Oklahoma wildflower webpage that has photos of Oklahoma wildflowers listed by month and order of bloom. If you remember the month you first see them blooming, start by looking at that month first, but keep in mind that often some wildflowers bloom at different times in different parts of the state. Just click on the name of each flower to see the accompanying photo. Maybe you'll find the one you're looking for.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma WIldflower Bloom--Photos Listed By Month

• ynde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow -- thanks! That list is great (Now I know how I'll be spending part of my weekend :) )

• butterflymomok
    13 years ago

How about Spring Beauty?

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Beauty

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!