Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Another Jersey Tomato Released This Year

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Background: The state of New Jersey was once famous for its tomatoes. As the use of newer hybrids came into fashion, a lot of great-tasting Jersey tomato seed lines were discontinued. Luckily, the people noticed that many of the newer varieties had less flavor than the other ones and kept asking for tomato varieties that would give them the full, rich flavor of the Jersey tomatoes they remembered from past decades.

Rutgers/NJAES began a collaboration, including working with some seed companies, to find old favorite Jersey tomato varieties and to bring them back into production.

Several years ago, they released Ramapo, which has great flavor and productivity and was a huge hit. Then they brought back Moreton. I've grown both several times and they produced great harvests here for me.

This year they've brought back an old Campbell's canning variety called KC-146.

It is so exciting to have Rutgers working so hard to bring back worthy varieties. It is not easy to do and requires a substantial capital investment.

I've linked their webpage below in case anyone wants to read about the Jersey tomato varieties. I think I am going to order seed of Ramapo, Moreton and KC-146 and grow them in the fall of 2013 or spring of 2014.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers and the Jersey Tomatoes

Comments (2)