Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Raising Healthy Tomato and Vegetable Transplants

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
16 years ago

Several of us have been talking lately about starting pepper, tomato, herb and other transplants.

I like to start my tomato transplants a bit early and then pot them up to progressively larger pots. This technique can give you larger, stronger, more vigorous plants with well-developed root systems.

Here's my favorite way to do it.

START THE SEEDS: Start seeds about 8 to 10 weeks before your anticipated spring transplanting date, which should be around the time of your average last frost date.

Start seeds in peat pellets or a sterile soil-less seed-starting mix in flats. Grow under fluorescent lights or in very bright, sunny windows so you will have strong, stocky plants that are not leggy.

REPOT. Once the plants have two sets of true leaves (do not count the cotyledons as true leaves), move the plants up to a small pot or small paper/plastic/foam cup with holes poked in the bottom for drainage. Set the small plant deeply in the soil (with the soil level ending just below the leaves). Water and put back under grow lights. Allow these plants to continue growing until there are now a total of ten true leaves....the original 4 plus 6 new ones.

REPOT AGAIN. At this point, it is time to repot again. First, prepare a set of larger paper, plastic or foam cups or small plastic flower pots or whatever you are going to transplant into. Then, remove the lower 4 (old) leaves. Set the plants into the soil in the new cups with the soil level right up to the bottom of the lowest of the six remaining leaves.

Do this again as soon as the plants have ten leaves. I usually do it between 2 and 4 times, depending on how long the weather stays cold and how long I have to keep the plants growing inside.

WHY? Why does this give you bigger, healthier transplants and why in the world do you remove the lower leaves?

Well, obviously, each time the plant goes into a new container, it has more room to send out more roots. That is only part of it though.

Every time you stress the plant by removing those lowest leaves, it responds by putting out new root growth....and you only get a small amount of new topgrowth. This is important because too much topgrowth gives large plants that can be hard to fit underneath the grow lights. Planting the stem deeply in the soil also encourages the plants to send out new roots from all buried parts of the stem. (This works for tomatoes and some other vegetable but not for all other veggies.)

HARDEN OFF THE PLANTS. As your transplanting date arrives, harden off the plants gradually by setting them outside in a protected area, like a covered porch where they get partial sun or under a shade cloth or even under a tree.....the limbs still provide some shade even if the tree isn't leafed out. On the first day, only give them a couple of hours of direct sun. Then, each day give them more and more sun. By the way, the plants need gradual exposure to stronger winds too. Going from "no wind" to a large amount of strong wind can cause enough windburn to kill the plants too.

TRANSPLANT: Unless you are willing to take heroic measures to protect early plantings from cold nights, do not transplant until you are pretty sure that your area will not experience another frost.

Transplant into well prepared soil. Carefully remove the plants from their containers, place them in holes dug into the ground, and pat the soil down firmly around them. The deeper you plant them, the better, so you can remove a couple of the lower leaves in order to bury more of the stem under the soil if you wish. Water well. Your plants have large, strong, healthy root systems so they should take off and grow quickly once they've adjusted to being transplanted.

IF YOU PLANT "EARLY": If you choose to plant earlier than the recommended date (last frost date or after), there are a few "tricks" you can employ to get the plants off to a good start.

First, you can warm up the soil for a couple of weeks prior to planting by covering it with thick black plastic held down by boards or rocks.

Secondly, you can give your plants a temporary wind break. One of my neighbors does this by cutting the bottom out of 5-gallon white buckets and placing the bucket firmly into the soil so it surrounds the tomato plant and gives it several weeks of wind protection. As a bonus, he has saved the lids that came with his white 5-gallon buckets and can snap them onto the top of the bucket at night if frost is predicted.

I provide my plants with wind protection for the first 2 to 4 weeks by wrapping the tomato cages with 6 mm plastic held to the cage with duct tape. Some people use bubble wrap in the same way, but I don't know if it is worth the extra expense or if it keeps them that much warmer than the 6mm plastic.

Not only does a windbreak shelter the tender foliage of young transplants from our often rowdy March and April winds, it also keeps the air around the plant slightly warmer (the greenhouse effect) which encourages good growth.

THIRD, you can use Wall-O-Waters or Cozy Coats to provide extra protection (down to 16 degrees in some cases) from the elements. They are a bit expensive and only work if you have flat, level ground. If your garden is on a slope (like mine) these types of plant protectors don't work as they tend to fall over and roll down hill.

FOURTH, mulch a little at planting time to be followed by more mulch later. At planting time, the ground is still relatively cool so you only add a little mulch....just enough to keep weeds from sprouting. This is because mulch that is too thick or deep will keep the ground cold longer and that will impede plant growth. Later, as the ground warms up, add more mulch to help conserve moisture and to keep the soil and roots cool.

A COUPLE OF MISCELLANEOUS TIPS FOR RAISING TOMATO TRANSPLANTS:

1. Play music for them. Some people swear that this encourages better growth and some scientific studies back up these claims. (I don't do this.)

2. Touch or stroke the plant stems. Every day, take a moment or two to stand there by the plants and lightly run your index finger up and down the plant stem. This stimulus is supposed to cause increased growth.

An alternate method if you have a lot of seedlings growing closely together is to gently run your hands over the top of the plants just barely making contact with the topmost foliage. Do this for a minute or two once or twice a day to stimulate growth.

3. Give them great air circulation. Set up a small oscillating fan so it blows a GENTLE breeze towards the plants. Research shows that the breeze stimulates growth and helps the plants to have stronger, stockier stems. As a bonus, it improves air circulation and that helps cut down on foliar disease problems.

4. Water carefully and sparingly, and from the bottom if possible. Too much water keeps the soil too wet and can cause all sorts of problems including damping off (sudden death of seedlings). Plants should be moist but can be allowed to get almost completely dry before you water them again. At all costs, avoid keeping them sopping wet.

5. Don't feed them. Young plants, in general, do not need to be fed. The exception is that, if you are keeping them in peat pellets for a prolonged period of time, they may need to be fed once or twice with a water-soluable fertilizer. In that case, though, it is best to dilute the fertilizer so that it is very weak. Strong fertilizer on young, tender roots can cause damage.

6. Give them periods of light AND darkness. Some people leave their plants' growlights on 24 hours a day. However, research shows that most plants benefit from at least 8 hours of darkness.

OTHER VEGGIE TRANSPLANTS:

PEPPERS: I raise my pepper transplants the same as tomatoes, except they DON'T go through the process of being potted up into larger pots and having their lower leaves removed. Also, pepper plants DO NOT benefit from being planted deeply and also DO NOT form roots along the buried parts of the stems. Also, I don't move them outside or plant them as early since they like significantly warmer soil and air temps.

RAISING OTHER VEGGIE SEEDLINGS: You can raise many other plants from seed indoors and then transplant them into the ground. These are the ones, in addition to peppers and tomatoes, that are most often raised to transplant size: broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, chinese cabbage, lettuce and other greens (can be grown from transplant or by direct seeding in the garden), peas, cantaloupe and other melons, squash, pumpkins, and okra.

The ones most commonly direct seeded into the ground include green beans and other beans, southern peas, carrots, lettuce and other greens including spinach, corn, radishes, turnips and rutabagas.

Sometimes, when cold, wet weather delays outdoor planting, I have started peas, beans and corn in peat pellets and have transplanted them while they were still very small plants.

Some plants have to be started from sets or tubers. These include Irish potatoes, horseradish, most onions, garlic and leeks, and rhubarb. (You can start rhubarb from seed but are unlikely to get a harvest the first year.) Sweet potatoes are started from 'slips' which are basically sprouts that grow off of a mother potato, are pulled off and bundled up and then sold. You can grow your own slips inside and then remove them and plant them inside.

If you have a really hard time sprouting carrot seeds (a more common problem than you'd think), you can start them indoors in cardboard-paper tubes and then transplant them, tube and all, into the garden.

Most warm-season veggies can be grown from seed to transplant size in only 3 to 5 weeks. If you have to hold these transplants inside too long, it can stunt their growth.

Any seed that is large enough to handle easily (like pepper or tomato seeds, melon seeds, etc.) will sprout more quickly if pre-soaked in water or half-strength compost tea or liquid seaweed. Soak them for only 4 to 8 hours. If you want to presoak legumes, only soak them for a couple of hours.

All transplants grown indoors need proper lighting and to be hardened off before transplantation.

That's all I can think of, and I'm sure there's a lot I forgot, but it is a start.

Dawn

Comments (10)

• oakleif
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dawn, Thanks for all the great information. I've saved a lot of your posts to my clippings. I'll give you credit as soon as i can redo my page.
    Have a great day. It is peasoup foggy here.
    vickie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Vickie!

I hope things are going well there in the Ozarks.

I'm glad that something I've said has been useful to you.

It is raining here today and I am not complaining because our part of Oklahoma has been very dry since the rain stopped falling last July. We've had more rain today (a little under 2") than in the past 2 or 3 months combined.
    We've had thunderstorms since about 4 a.m. and the rain just keeps rolling through.....a little rain here, a little there....but those little bits add up.

I am concerned about the folks north of me in Oklahoma. I think some of them are getting ice, sleet, freezing rain, etc.

Dawn

• backyardmomma
    16 years ago

Yep, we are getting some ice on elevated surfaces but now it seems to be melting. I am so glad to get the rain but am still pouting because I want to be doing some soil prep this weekend :( Can't complain- we were getting thirsty around here too.
    Dawn- I wanted some more info about starting other seeds. If you don't move to graduated containers then do you keep them in those tiny peat pellets this whole time or just start out with bigger container? Do you still start them this far ahead? Also- I understand it that you should keep the light very close to the top of the plant- does that apply to all seedlings and at all stages of growth?
    Thanks so much! I will be sure to clip this one too! :)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Backyardmomma!

I hope the moisture didn't refreeze overnight so it could cause y'all problems this morning. I have been pouting too 'cause I wanted to plant my onions this weekend, but guess I'll get over it. We really DO need the rain, and a light rain is falling again as I write this.

If you don't move up to larger containers, you can keep seedlings in a peat pellet for quite a while, but probably not for a couple of months. If I wanted to keep my plants in the pellets the whole time they are inside, I probably would start them only 6 or 7 weeks before I intended to transplant them. It depends on the plant, though. Tomato seedlings can get big quickly but most herb seedlings do not. So, it would vary depending on what types of plants you are raising.

To compare the two in terms that are easy to visualize: If you leave a tomato seedling in a peat pellet for 6 or 7 weeks, your plant probably would be about the size of a plant purchased in a "six-pack" at a nursery or store. If you plant 10 weeks in advance of your transplanting date, and pot up to gradually larger containers 2 or 3 times, the plant will be about the size of one that you'd purchase in a 4" or 6" pot at a nursery or store. I hope that helps you visualize what to expect in either case.

I recently started some Laura Bush Petunia seeds in peat pellets. Those plants are about 2 weeks old and are about 1/5th the size of a ladybug. They will stay small for weeks and weeks, so I can leave them in peat pellets until I transplant them outside, which is still a long ways off. (Laura Bush Petunia is a heat-loving petunia, so I don't usually transplant them until mid- to late-May.) By contrast, tomato seedlings planted at almost the same time are already 2" to 3" tall and have several true leaves. So, as you can see from the description of the plants at two weeks of age, the petunias will thrive in the peat pellets but the tomatoes will outgrow them.

Also, when you put your plants outside to harden off, the peat pellets can dry out in only a few hours, so you have to watch them very carefully.

As long as the plants are inside and growing under lights, I keep the fluorescent bulbs so close to the plants that the light is all but touching the plant. This helps the plants stay strong and healthy. Once I move the plants out to the screened-in porch, which is usually in mid-March here, they rely on the sun that comes in throught the south and west-facing windows.

The reason you have to keep the plants so close to the lights is that the lights just are not anywhere close to sunlight in terms of the strength of the light. Thus, the plants want to reach and stretch and stay close to the light so they can get as much light as possible. If you have your lights 1" above the plants, the plants will stay shorter and stockier, which is good. If you have your lights 6" or 8" above the plants, the plants will grow rapidly towards the lights and get tall and leggy (thin-stemmed and less foliage in proportion to the stem). Plants that get leggy often get too tall too quickly and the stems can't support the weight of the foliage and the seedlings fall over and lie down on the surface of the soil.

I'm glad the info is helpful.....and you are very welcome.

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Good morning Dawn and everyone else!

I haven't posted in awhile because I've been busy "pre-gardening". This weekend has been cold and rainy here in far NE OK although so far not too bad.

I have been doing a bunch of "wintersowing" thanks to your tip, Dawn, several weeks ago. It really makes sense for some plants that require cold stratification, and I'm trying it for some others as well. So I have been busy acquiring milk jugs and baking my garden soil to use in them, since the expense of seed starting mix has overwhelmed the whole purpose of having a garden for me, which is economy. Well, that and taste. But anyway...

I've been making seed tape of my lettuce, onion, and radish seed and I was going to put them in the ground this weekend but looks like I'll need to wait.

I've been over on the seed trading gardenweb site and met a bunch of really nice people. Thanks to them and to the people over on the wintersowing site, I have lots of new seed to try this year.

On the frugal gardening site, I learned how to make newspaper pots, and I think that's the best idea since sliced bread!

And on the Garden Art site, I saw the coolest things. A teacup birdfeeder, a man and a dachshund made of clay flower pots, and bottle trees! I dragged an old artificial Christmas tree out of the attic, stripped it down to just the metal branches, then started picking up cobalt blue bottles from my job (one of the businesses is a recycling center -- we collect clear and brown glass, but people keep leaving green and blue, for which they don't have a market right now, and they have to dispose of them. (If you have a recycling center near you, just don't go and take things out of the bins -- ask first. Anything else is stealing, even if it IS just a blue wine bottle!) My bottle tree is coming along, I still don't have quite enough small blue bottles, but I add a few each week.

AND THEN.... I got interested in heirloom beans. I have grown Lazy Wife snap beans for years and never knew they were "heirloom". I went to a gourmet site, bought one-pound bags of several kinds of interesting beans. I will have enough to plant and enough to sell for seed at my spring yard sale. At 30 beans in a bag for only fifty cents each, I can double the money I spent (if they all sell, which probably they won't, but then maybe I can use the extras to trade.) But even if I only sell some, I may still make my money back. The only thing is, the gourmet site sold the beans to eat, not to plant, so I had no information on growing habit (whether pole or bush, for instance). Some of the names of the beans were not found anywhere else on the Internet, but I went to the "Beans & Legumes" site and some of the regulars over there have been helping me identify the beans. It appears that many of the beans I bought as dry "gourmet" beans are most commonly used as snap beans! Leave it to those Gourmets... I'm just an old redneck woman and I look at my Lazy Wife dry beans as seed, not something I could put in a pot with a hambone and cook. So I'm getting my horizons broadened in lots of ways. I still have a few beans the "Bean Experts" didn't recognize, if anyone wants to give it a try I'll post a list.

My Datura seeds, none of which came up at all last spring, germinated much sooner than I expected this year, after being sanded and soaked and set under a lightbulb in January. Out of the 15 I planted, I got 10 plants. I've repotted into foam 12-oz drink cups and they are all getting their 9th and 10th leaves, sitting under the fluorescent lights. The leaves and stems look so nice and healthy, I'm very proud of our accomplishment, Dawn!

And my seed starting mat came, so I've replanted the pepper plants that didn't come up, and I'm getting some sporadic results. I'm thinking the purple pepper seed that I took from peppers that were given me last summer were just not mature enough, because they are the only ones that not one seed has germinated.

The tomatoes that I planted in January are doing well under the fluorescent lights. I realize I planted too soon. Usually I plant them on the last weekend in January, they take a week or two to germinate, and by April 15 they are still somewhat small. So this year I decided I wanted bigger plants, but I overplanned. I used seed-starting mix, which the seeds loved, and set them under an incandescent light that provided heat, which the seeds also loved. Some of them were popping their heads out within a few days. Others took about a week. So that was a real jump-start and probably too much. Now I'm seeing some stress in a few of the plants, because I think I'm keeping them too wet so I'm going to let them dry out a bit and hope for the best! I've already repotted them once. And I've decided I do not like those little peat pots. The roots grow right through them and start drying out. The only advantage is that you don't have to remove the pot when you repot. So far my newspaper pots are not letting the roots grow through but they're just as easy to repot, plus the newspaper, when below ground level, will decompose and help retain moisture around the roots.

All in all, if the weather cooperates and my back holds out, I should have a really interesting garden this year. Plenty for my "audience" that walks along the sidewalk outside my back fence to ask questions about and point out to their friends. I've met a lot of people in town this way. Since I work full time I don't get many chances to "neighbor".

This year I'm going to try to plant more flowers, as attractants to lady bugs, and of course the butterflies and hummingbirds. And because the squirrels keep digging up the mammoth sunflower seed I plant, I've wintersown them this year so I can have more than just a few plants. I myself cannot see one benefit to having squirrels. DH and his family ate squirrel when he was a boy. They were poor sharecroppers and would've starved to death otherwise. Maybe that's one good use for a squirrel.

• barton
    16 years ago

Dawn, I do my tomatoes about the same as you do.

Last year I got going a little too early, and some of my tomatoes were in gallon containers by planting time.

I start the seeds in egg cartons with a hole poked in the bottom of each cell. I start two or three in each cell, and only keep the strongest. If I have brand-new seed I might just put one seed in each cell. I use standard potting soil. (I like the TLC potting soil.)

Then I pot up as you described, cutting off the bottom leaves etc. My second pot is a small plastic drinking cup. I use scissors to snip off in three places right at the bottom edge of the cup. These might last a couple of seasons and they are "dirt cheap" if you will pardon the expression. Leftover 6-packs from annuals are good and you can get a couple of seasons out of these if you are careful.

Next they go into the larger (12-16 ounce) dixie plastic cups.

I don't have an indoor grow light setup but do have a nice south facing room with 2 windows and a sliding glass door.

I use plastic storage tubs once I have potted up to cups. I crowd them in so they don't fall over. The high sides give some wind protection. On nice days they go outside with the tops off, with the sun protection as you described.

If I have things in flats, I set the flats right on the driveway and set the plastic tub upside down over them like a little greenhouse. I do a lot of dragging things in and out. The tubs make good totes.

One trick I have learned (having no grow lights) is that if I have several days of cloudy freezing weather, I put the plants into an unheated garage with the light off. This keeps them from getting leggy. They seem to do better than keeping them inside by the window when the light isn't good.

I learned that last trick once when I had some columbine seedlings started. They were about as big as little threads, in egg cartons, and we were leaving on vacation. (I had planned to have them outside sooner but they were slow to sprout). So, I just closed the egg cartons and put them in the refrigerator for a week and a half. When I got back, they were still as green and fine as I when I left. They just waited for light and warmth, and resumed growing as if nothing had happened.

I used that with my tomatoes last spring, and they did well.

Gayle

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ilene,

WOW! You have been so busy and have accomplished so much!

I love the Garden Art site too and always think to myself that I "need" to do something like that, but then never get around to it as the gardening itself keeps me busy.

I have been saving bottles to make a bottle tree and hope to have enough to put the tree together this spring.

When I was a kid, some of our "older" neighbors (they were in their 60s to their 80s in the late-1960s/early 1970s) had the most amazing "yard art". I remember colored bottles used in several ways.....for bottle trees, for 'windchimes' or 'spinners' that hung from trees or from the porch, and even as edging to separate the pathways from the gardenbeds (they stuck the long necks of the bottles into the ground and the round bottoms of the bottles stuck up about 3 or 4 inches above the grade of the soil). Back then, a lot of people did stuff like that. I remember that someone used old mismatched silver flatware to make windchimes.

About a decade ago, I bought a WONDERFUL book by Felder Rushing and Steve Bender called Passalong Plants. Not only did it have so many of the old plants that I remember everyone growing when I was a kit, it had a section devoted to "White Trash" art. In that section was all the folk art I remember from my youth....bottle trees, etc., and, of course, planters made of car tires that were cut and painted. Yikes! I never thought of it as "White Trash" stuff, but I think the authors were using the term in a loving, respectful way!

I'm so glad your daturas and tomatoes are doing well. Just think what huge transplants you'll have by April!

When you plant your newspaper pots in the ground, be sure to dip the newspaper pots into a bucket of water long enough to soak the paper. Being wet like that will help the newspaper break down more quickly and let the roots get growing down into the soil!

Keep us posted on all your activities! It sounds like you are having a great gardening year so far.

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

LOL, Dawn, I have a silverware wind chime!!

And I remember several people in my family had tire flower pots, they cut them in scallops or points and painted them. My Aunt Viv lived in Iola, KS, where I was born, and when we'd come up from OK for a visit, she and mom would go out in the garden and look at what was coming up. It was so hilarious, both of them with their rear-ends up in the air, dresses hiked up in the back but their slips hung down so you didn't see too far up, but Aunt Viv wore those hose that you rolled down in a roll and the roll would be just below her knees. They'd be talking like crazy, pointing and carrying on! It's one of those memories makes you smile whenever you think of it. --Ilene

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ilene,

Oh, it is such fun to stroll down memory lane, isn't it!

One of my fondest memories is of going to visit my grandparents in Wise County, Texas, northwest of Denton in the mid-1960s to mid-1970s.

There were several blocks of homes on the south side of Krum, Texas, that were simple 2-story farmhouses (not big or fancy mansions) with picket fences, storm cellars and flowers beds and veggie gardens. The ladies were always out working in the yards, wearing floral-print cotton housedresses, straw hats with broad brims, gloves (of course!) to prevent tanned hands and arms/unsightly sun-related age spots, and 'sensible' shoes. OF COURSE they were wearing slips and stockings. Your description of the rolled stockings is EXACTLY what I remember.

They always had irises, honeysuckle, and roses, of course, and many other plants as well.

If you stopped to visit, they invited you to sit a spell on the porch or lawn furniture, and you were offered tea or lemonade....often in Mason jars or metal tumblers.

Does that sound familiar?

After we moved here and built our simple 2-story Victorian style house, with a wrap around front and side porch and a screened-in back porch, and a tornado shelter just a few feet from the back door.....it suddenly occurred to me that I was "recreating" one of those country houses I remembered from Krum. In the late-1990s to early 2000s, we brought my Mom from Ft. Worth up to the Gainesville/Whitesboro, Texas, area for my great-aunt's funeral. We drove home through Krum so mom could see it....she hadn't been there in about 25 years or more.

Even though much of Krum is now modern homes (some quite large and fancy!), the neighborhood I loved is still largely intact and JUST as I remember it. Well, the old chicken farm that was on the south side of the neighborhood is gone, and so is the General Store, but everything else is the same. When my DH saw it, he instantly agreed that I had recreated the "look, feeling and spirit" of those gracious, old country homes at our own place. The funny thing is that I didn't deliberately set out to recreate it.....but I did it all the same.

Oh, nostalgia. It is so sweet.

Now, I have to master some of the flowers my grandmother used to grow. I can remember her sitting there and listing them for someone who asked. By then, she was in her late 80s, her husband was deceased, the veggie garden was grown for her by my uncle....but she still had a little, bitty flower bed just off the front porch. If you asked her what flower seeds she wanted, she'd say "Cosmos, balsam, poppies, verbascum, and zinnias...." I always have cosmos, poppies and zinnias, but have only grown balsam once (with limited success), and am trying verbascum this year.

Now, on my project list I have to add that I want to make a silverware windchime!

Thanks for sharing the memories with me and for allowing me to share mine with you!

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    16 years ago

Oh, yeah............
    I guess things are not that different, whether it's TX or KS... My mother loved iris. There for awhile she would buy a new color or two every year. Planted them in between the picket fence and the sidewalk out front. We didn't have a lot of foot traffic there because the sidewalk only ran in front of our house, and we lived along HWY 75, which has now been redirected away from there. But people who did pass by were walking "uptown" (which was only a block or two long) to get their mail, as we didn't have a postman. They'd always stop and admire mom's iris. She and Dad both had a garden after he retired, and they competed with each other, even though they grew different things. My mother was always very competitive in everything. They lived to be 93, both of them. She outlived my Dad by a few months but she didn't know it because she had Alzheimers and thought my brother was Dad by then. Now, her mother, my beloved "Grammy", grew up in Arkansas, but lived in the Iola and Chanute area while my mother was growing up, and on through the rest of her life. She grew dipper gourds. Oh, she was proud of those! My grand-dad was a very controlling man, he never allowed Grammy to have any money. So she'd make dippers out of those gourds and clean them up and pass them out to each of us. She was precious. This year I got some dipper gourd seed in a trade. I haven't had one in years. Grammy died when I was 15 and I'm 61 now but it doesn't seem that long ago, somehow. I once heard someone say you're not really deceased until everyone is gone who would remember you. So Grammy's good for a little while longer.

We almost bought one of those victorian houses like you mention. I've kicked myself so many times that we didn't. It had sagging floors, which is what scared us off, but the ranch-style house that we ended up getting has cost us so much, what with the termite damage and the new roof, that we'd have been just as well off to get the victorian house. The stairs would've eventually been an issue for us and the yard was smallish, so maybe in the end we'll be glad we didn't buy it. I still look at it kind of wistfully when we drive by.