Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Filter Question

Posted by justsaymo 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 11:43

I am starting some seeds in coffee filters. This is the first time I have used this method. I have done some looking around to see when I move them from the filter to the tray. I find all kinds of different suggestions. When do you suggest moving them? when there is a root, or wait till the leaves, or what? I am already having better germination rate that last year.
Thanks,
mo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Filter Question

Mo,

When I can catch them in time, I am happiest with sprouts that closely resemble a comma. If I wait until the leaves emerge, the root is longer, sometimes too long, and too curled to be able to bury easily. If I bury the sprout in the comma stage, at the same depth I would have planted the seed, the root can go straight down, and the stem will come straight up.

Seedmama

o

I agree with Seedmama. The earlier you transplant them, the better. The longer you leave the sprouts on the coffee filter, the longer the root gets and the greater the chance you'll damage it while moving it into the soil or growing medium.

o

OK Thanks! I'm on it!
I knew I could count on your guys.
mo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here