10 years ago

...I've got dirt under my fingernails. ;D

Comments (8)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Big smiles, here. Me too!

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Me 3!! WS some annuals! Hope they come up!!

• amunk01
    10 years ago

I almost cried just seeing the topic of this thread. Lol I'm sooo terribly ready!!!!!
    Alexis

• mulberryknob
    10 years ago

If seed starting mix qualifies as "dirt" I do too. Didn't plant anything in it, just mixed it with water getting it ready for Sunday.

• wbonesteel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four of our twelve veggie beds are now ready for seed. Two already have garlic from last year and one has taters and snow peas that were planted last month. Five more beds to go...after adding compost and magnesium sulfate.

Taters, broccoli and cool weather crops, to begin with. I get anxious and plant too early, but with the seed saving we do, I've got plenty of seeds to play with.

If you're a newbie, now's a good time to get the beds ready for planting, folks. (If the temp is above freezing and the wind won't give you hypothermia, that is.) Temps here have been in the sixties over the last couple of days. The wind was way too strong this AM, but by this PM, it was perfect gardening weather, for prepping beds, anyway.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

I worked on bed prep in the morning hours yesterday and it felt so good to be out in the garden. I got 5 raised beds ready to plant so only have 11 left to prep in the front garden. I haven't done anything yet to the grade level beds because their soil is too muddy to work. Roughly 70% of the front garden is raised beds and the rest is grade level. The grade level usually gets prepped last because I have to wait for it to dry out from the fall and winter rain. Corn usually gets planted there and it isn't even close to corn planting time yet so I'm not worried about the grade level beds not being ready yet.

I had intended to come back outside and spend the whole afternoon in the garden too, but our fire pagers went off while I was eating a late lunch and then by the time I got back home from the fire it was almost sunset. It is unfortunate that the start of the winter fire season coincides with the start of the cool-season planting season. I always find myself struggling to get both things done, but I just keep plugging away at it.

I hope to spend all of today in the garden but I'm not going out there this morning until our temperature makes it back up above freezing.

Dawn

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

Every morning I set and watch the temperature on mesonet cheering it's rise. Even the KIDS nag me about the time to go outside. lol

• shallot
    10 years ago

I am so excited to finally get started this weekend! I think I will try and get all the snow and snap peas planted, as well as the HUGE amount of onions (thank you seedmama!).
    First I have to run to the seed & feed store to buy fertilizer, after reading the onion leaflet. No doubt some seeds will find their way into my cart there too.

Happy gardening weather everyone!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!