Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vertical Trellis Input Needed :)

Posted by leava z7OK (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 16:51

I have four garden beds that are approx 3 by 10 feet each.They run east to west the long way.I have been looking at pics of trellis options and am going to buy cattle panels.So how do you decide where the trellises go, on the north or south side of the beds?
And do you put one panel with tomatoes to tie to it or two panels ad plant tomatoes in between like a big cage? I know I need one t bar on each end but is one in the middle enough?
thanx for any/all input, this is messing with my head and want to get the right number of them.
Leava

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vertical Trellis Input Needed :)

I am also looking for same inputs/suggestions Leava is looking for... with same orientation with different bed size (4x16feet), raised beds receives full sunlight. -Chandra

o

Cattle panels are very regid so a length of 10 feet shouldn't need a center post. The panels are 16 feet long tho.

I think you should trellis on the north to make sure you get adequate sunshine, and with only three feet across you shouldn't lose assability to the entire bed, but if they are wider that can become a problem with some crops.

For tomatoes, you can do it either way. I only use one panel and try to loop the branches thru as they grow but still have to tie up some branches. A lady named Marty that was once a member of this forum planted her tomatoes down the center of a bed, quiet close, and used a panel on both sides of them. I have never had enough panels to do that. I can buy as many as I want, but getting them home is the hard part, and I don't want to cut them. Maybe this year.

o

When I used raised beds put the trellis on the north side. The soil in the raised bed should be much softer
than unamended soil and will not hold a "T" post as well. To help hold the "T" post I would use plumbers tape and screw it to border and around the post. You can drive the post farther into the groung, I doubt that it will reach the top of your panel anyway.

My trellis is "T" posts with a 30" extension on top with 1/2" rebar running along the top. In the growing season I tie binder twine to the rebar in a fan pattern to the base of the "T" post or to a stake into ground. The greenbeans and cucumbers climb the binder twine.

Larry

o

I found nice post from Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum, I linked below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattle Panel Trellis

o

Chandra, You have a lot of options. I have one trellis that was left at 16 feet and bent in the center so it looks somewhat like the picture you found. I have one panel that is cut in half and turned with the long sides up. It has longer t-posts and the height is almost 8 feet. Then I have three that I use to grow beans and tomatoes that are the full 16 feet and run parrallel to the ground. I hope to buy 10 more at some point.

o

Carol, your cattle panel tunnel looks great. I have decided to use cattle panels to build tunnels for peas, cucumbers, beans... also some verticals alignments for tomatoes and peppers.

Where we can buy these 4x16feet cattle panels? One of the post mentioned Tractor Supply Company, do you know any other stores?

I not have truck, are they fit in Honda Odyssey? are they flexible enough to make big role for hauling? -Chandra

o

Chandra
(1) I don't know which tunnel you saw, but I doubt that it was mine. I may have a pic out there, but I don't think so.

(2) Cattle panels are available at Atwoods, Tractor Supply, and normally Lowes.

(3) They are not flexible. I think George said he can get them two at a time in his pickup by pulling the two ends together and tying them. This is a hazardous thing to do and they will quickly spring back into shape when those bands are released. You can not get them in your car.

(4) I wanted to buy some more last year and could have had them delivered but I didn't want to pay the $60 delivery fee. I kept thinking I would catch my neighbor when he had his brother's trailer here, but I never did.

(5) I use mine in the ground, not in raised beds, so I take mine down each year except for the arched one. I am moving it this year and will put the short ends on each side of a walkway. That will save me some space because I don't plant anything under it anyway. Last year I planted
zucchetta rampicante squash on one side, and Tess's Land Race on the other and they met and overlapped at the top. You may have seen the posting where I was telling Dawn that I was sitting on my stool under the arch picking tomatoes and my husband was in the back yard where I was and couldn't see me until I spoke. He had probably been out there 20 minutes. My arched trellis is shaped a little different from the one you posted, because the bend at the top is more distinct and the bottom is not as close. I will look for a picture.

(6) There are different kinds so you want to make sure to get the one for cattle which has 6x6 openings so you can easily reach through to pick that big tomato you are going to raise. Mine have smaller openings for about the first foot and they graduate in size until most rows are 6x6.

(7) I have seen them priced from $18-$22 but they may be more this year. Everything else is. They will last for years and years because they are built to be outside and used as movable livestock fencing. I use long t-post at each end, and a short one in the center at the 8 ft point.

I did find a pic but by the time the picture was taken you can't see the shape for the foliage. In the back ground you can see the eight foot trellis which was cut then mounted upright.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010

o

Thank you again carol, quite useful info.
by the way, I won't have permission to view that photo from flicker.

o

Chandra, try the Flickr photo again. I didn't realize that it wasn't on public. I also sent you an email.

o

Carol, Thank you again. I received your email, you got pretty nice garden!!

o

I have been thinking and rethinking what I want/can use for trellising my tomatos in containers this year. Last year didn't go well as far as the stakes I used.

First, I will have about 10 containers lined up along the outside of the driveway. I've thought about just using sturdy wooden posts driven into the ground beside each container on two sides, and using a "weave" of like conduit wire or something in a zig-zag pattern between alternating posts, kind of like you're lacing up your shoes.

I've also thought about using a teepee set up using sturdy stakes and just tying the branches to the stakes as needed.

I don't want the vines to get too tall - in other words, I would rather they not get much over 6' from the top of the dirt in the container, and then allowing them to drape or hang over the sides, because me on a ladder would be a dangerous activity! I'd rather not "top" the vines if at all possible.

I am not able, on my own, to manage the cutting, bending, twisting, and setting up of concrete reinforement mesh or cattle panels (wouldn't be able to transport it anyway). So, I have to resort to something simple and manageable for an older, single lady who is no longer svelte and supple. Sigh.......

Another thought was using the wire shelves (bought separately from the entire unit) found in the closet storage section of HD or Lowes. I can get them in 8' to 10' length, but they are only about 16" wide. I could somehow link or tie them together, or use them in an alternating pattern along the row of containers, and then use additional conduit wire to "tie" from one across to another in the zigzag pattern, too. They are about $9 for a 10' section. Kind of expensive, but I could just start with a few this year and add more later. Not quite sure how this will work yet, but another person on another forum used these and held 3 together to work somewhat like a room divider, as a trellis for beans/cukes.

Would appreciate your input.

Susan

o

Chandra,
I get my cattle panels at Lumber 2.

Seedmama,
passing through

o

Susan,You may want to think about the way I do my tomatoes.

I take a "T" post and drive into the ground. I will cut piece of 1/2 PVC about 5" long, drill a hole about 1/8" in dia., about 3/8 of am inch from the end of the PVC. and run a wire thru the hole and around the post. I leave the end of the PVC about 1/8" below the end of the post so I wont damage the PVC while driving the post. I then take 30" pieces of 1/2" rebar and drop into the PVC. This will take the height of the post up to about as high as you can reach. You can then weave the tomatoes and post together,or tie trellis to the post. I use a three rail trellis, plus something like the weave. I will run a long piece of hay twine down each side of the tomatoes. In areas where I need to "snug" the tomatoes up, I just reach through and tie around the two strings.

At the end of the growing year I cut these short strings out and roll up the long strings to use again. I then pull the post and store them in the shed. If I were a neat freak I would then plant pansies.

This method is a lot of work but it is something one person can do and you dont have a lot of long material to haul. It cleans up nice without a lot of stuff to store.

Larry

o

Thanks, Larry, I like the idea if I can just wrap my mind around a visual. I like those things you get in a big box that comes with visual instructions. I can put together most anything that comes broken down in parts marked, A, B, C, D........, with accompanying instructions. Just reading about it sends my brain into panic mode. I would have to know exactly what materials to buy and find someplace on the Internet with extremely simple, explanatory diagrams. I know, but otherwise I feel like a monkey, free falling from a tree. A bungee jumper without a bungee. :3)

Susan

o
susan

Susan

I like this system they have detailed here.

http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=525.msg3430#msg3430

I use a similar system "for girls" as I have no truck and no willing helper...I use the SFG method: using conduit pipe and nylon trellis netting for my tomatoes. I found a great tutorial a few years back but am now struggling to locate it. If I find it I will let you know. It was easy for me to do by myself including transportation of items, and fairly inexpensive.

My conduit/nylon trellis supports have been outside in the elements year round for 3 years and are still perfect. Ideally I'd love some cattle panels, but you need to have a truck and a strong arm to build those from what I've read.

Jo

o

Susan, if it is something you want to pursue farther I can post a picture, draw you a plan or help you in any way I can. If we were not so far apart I would even build it for you.

The hardest part for you will be cutting the rebar (you can buy it cut to lght. but it cost more) and driving the post, they are hard to drive if you dont have a driver.

You may have a neighbor that can cut the rebar and drive the post. Both are easy to do if you have the tools.

Larry.

o

Thank you Seedmama, Cattle panels at Lumber2 seems to be cheapest ($15.88) among the options I have checked.

Larry, could you please pictures of your tomatoe trellis.

o

I will look in photo bucket and see if I can find one that shows how I attach the extension onto the "T" post. The system I use is not as pretty as cattle panels, but it is something I can store inside out of sight in the off season.

Larry

o

I found a picture but I am having a hard time posting a picture.

Larry

o
RE: Vertical Trellis Input Needed :)l

try again

o

Do have you a account in facebook, orkut, picasa, photobucket, flicker? if is so you can upload your photo to anyone of the site. Then right click on the photo to "Copy image location", then write little html tag as follows;

Preview and Submit Message! -Chandra

o

Larry, you're so nice! Your photo shows up on my puter as an "X", so I can't see it, wah!!!!

Jo, that is PERFECT! Exactly what I am looking for. Wish I could see Larry's for a comparison. I've been thinking hard about PVC that I can take apart at the end of the season.

I think, since I am not using EBs, that I will leave the "L" off the bottom stakes and just drive them into the ground. How long can the top piece be without running into issues of sagging or bending, do you think?

I just got a "pocket chainsaw" so I could trim a few branches off my pine tree at the bottom. I notice you can also use it to cut PVC. But, it might be better if I ask them to do it at HD or Lowe's, wherever I get it, because I don't know if I can transport those long pieces in my tiny little car. It does have a hatchback so I can run them from the back of the car up to the front, but still I'm not sure if it will accommodate them. How long are the pieces you buy, before cut.

I'm really excited about this. This is something I can handle over the cattle panels and the CRW. Thank you so much!!

I'd love to have EBs, but they are expensive, and I'm not handy enough to build them.

Susan

o
pipe support

Susan, if you pick up some rebar (which is about $1 each), you can EASILY drive the rebar a couple feet into the ground and then slip the pvc pipe support right over it. That is what I do with my stainless conduit ones. They are crazy sturdy that way.

I don't know about PVC, but my conduit supports that are 4' long don't bend at all, even under a heavy load of tomatoes. In a moment of craziness last year I also built two 10' long frames, and those DID bend a little in the middle.

I'm glad you're excited. I like these systems specifically for people like us who don't have hauling equipment and heavy tools.

Jo

o
ps Larry

Larry, posting pics here is hard! Maybe I can help. In your photobucket account, hover over the pic you want to post with your mouse pointer. Underneath the photo, you will see 4 white boxes with links:

email and im
direct link
html code
image code

click in the white box that contains the html code and the link will be copied.

then you just come here and paste the link...that's all! Photobucket takes all of the guess work and coding out of the equation. Just copy and paste the link they provide.

HTH because I would love to see your system too.

Jo

o

I have photo bucket but know very little about computers, and I think I am too old to learn.

I get everything looking when I hit preview everything shows up, but then when I hit submit the picture does not transfet with the message. I have to keep trying because I hope to have some pictures to share this summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

o
found a tutorial

Susan, I found a tutorial for "my" system. The ONLY thing I do differently than what they describe is that I get longer rebar (I think 5' long) and pound it in about 2 feet, leaving 3 feet sticking out. That way it is so sturdy that I don't have to mess with brackets or attaching the frame to the bed. The picture looks exactly like what I do.

http://www.floridavegetablegarden.com/?p=359

Jo

o

You guys really make it seem like this is something I can actually do in reality! I am so excited now that I am not going to have to spend $35 on a Texas Cage or cattle panels, or CRW or any of the cages or trellises that would require me taking out a loan from my bank (not really, but it seems like it sometimes when you see all the materials you need or the cost associated with buying pre-made cages).

Woo-hoo! Thanks you all!

Susan

P.S. - Larry, yours is very similar to Jo's, just with different materials. I'm sure between the two I will have no problems setting something up now!

o

Susan, the conduit will be easier to work with and look better. As you can see my material is very old and in need of paint, but when I started it was what I had on hand and it has served me very well. I now have started using treated lumber where I would have used rebar in the past because of cost. It work works ok but is bad to warp.

If I were starting over I would look at cattle panels. I have one cattle panel trellis for DW, It is an arch for a vine. I dont remember how heavy it is so that may influence if I would use them in the garden. My wife both are getting to the stage where thing get heavier evey year.

Larry

o

Susan, You probably just need small trellis anyway and a cattle panel is big. I have chainlink fence around my garden, so when I take the panels down, I just stand them all up together along the fence in winter. I can move the panels myself, but it isn't so much the weight as it is the fact that they are so long to handle. I am hoping that when I put them up to plant on in the spring that they will be in their permanent location. My garden keeps growing and I keep changing my mind about things. I am about out of 'growing' room though so maybe I can leave them this year. The t-post I can't drive by myself, but someday I will buy a driver and then I think I can do it all by myself. So far DH has always had to do it for me. He is not the gardener, but he always helps me get the garden ready to plant in Spring. I think he plans to be more involved this year (oh goodie).

o

At Home Depot, where the concrete/cement mixes are, they sell wire mesh panels. It's been a while, but I think they are about 5' x 8'. The openings are plenty big to stick your hand through. It is more flexible than cattle panel, and a little more convenient to haul. They are a wee bit rusty and somewhat expensive if I recall. It also comes in 50' rolls. I rolled up the panels to make the ultimate tomato cages.

o

Tulsastorm, that is the Concrete Reinforcing Wire or Mesh that you're talking about, and I'm afraid it would just be too much of a struggle for this old person to manipulate. I still have some fencing I could use, but it is a pain to cut and bend. I don't have much "bend" left in me, lol. That's why I would prefer working with PVC - weight, more ability on my part to work with it, easier, lighter.

Carol, the awkwardness of working with the cattle panels is another reason I am staying away from it - awkward to haul, awkward to bend, awkward to manipulate into position, etc. Just don't foresee that as a possibility. I wish I had a big ole truck and a younger body, but since neither of those two things are likely in my future, I have to work with what I believe I can get to my house and then work with.

Larry, the unsightliness of the stakes or trellises do not bother me at all. Functionality is what I am looking for, be darned with what it looks like, lol. I considered 2x4s at one time, but then I have to either use deck screws or nails and hammer them together, and I am a really bad hammerer (is that a word?). Me and hand tools do not really a match make. Odd because I grew up using them as a child. My dad was a carpenter. We had all kinds of tools and table saws, etc., in his shop and at our disposal, but for me it is a lost art. I was much handier as a 9 year old than as a 62 year old. :o(

I will use the conduit, too, though.

Thank you guys for all your input.

Susan

o
really good

I'll be quiet after this :)

I just wanted to mention that I found an EXCELLENT (way better)

photo step-by-step tutorial on building a conduit trellis.

http://www.njprepper.com/2010/09/the-emt-trellis/

Jo

o
RE: Love it!

Wow - I really like that one, too, Jo! It shows me exactly how to do it and what to get and everything! I wonder what the expense for the EMT is versus PVC? I am off to do some research!

Do you think it is feasible to kind of do a Florida weave between the posts? I'm a little iffy on using the square netting for tomatos because I'm afraid it might damage the vines and it could be difficult to try to train vines thru it. What kind of material would you suggest using for the weave? Jute, Clothesline? Appreciate your opinion, and please don't stop with the info. This could very well be an ongoing thread with more options for staking and trellising!

Would the conduit act as a lightening rod? Just curious.

Susan

o

Susan, I think an impact driver would be a handy tool for you to have.

I have Arthritis and it is hard for me to lift things, but I can use an inpact driver well. I have three of them. When they would go on sale for $100 for a driver, drill, charger and two batteries I would buy them and just sit them back. I have two pneumatic framing nailers but cant lift them over sholder high, and it takes both hands to do that but, I can drive deck screws like crazy.

Larry

o

The conduit is really inexpensive. If I recall correctly it's under $5, maybe as low as $2 or $3. Two 10' lengths will make one trellis 6' highx 4' wide with four feet left over for your next one.

I LOVE the nylon trellis netting. It is very strong (60# break strength) but very soft and flexible. It has a LOT of give and training my vines through it over the last several years has been cake. It is much softer and more springy than rope or string.

I bought a 5x30' pacakage for around $11 or $12, and cut it into seven peices each 5' by 4'. Each pc can do one trellis. Even though my trellises are 6' high, my netting only hangs down 5'...so it starts one foot off the ground. The bottom of the plants don't need support anyway. So my cost for netting per trellis was less than $2.

I'll give you a rough ballpark of what I think the trellises cost to build, if I recall costs correctly:

10' conduitx2= Approx $6
elbow connectors x2+ approx $6
5' rebar x2=$2
5x4 pc of nylon trellis netting $2

total somewhere around $16 for each 4' wide by 6' high trellis. Not cheap, but no horrible.

I have never seen lightning hit my conduit but I don't knwo. I have a LOT of it in my garden.

Jo

o

Yeah, that's about what I figured cost-wise after checking prices at Lowes online. Except don't I need 4 elbow connectors? One for each post would be 2 for each set up?

That's close enough for cost however you look at it.

Larry, $100 is a bit steep for my budget. I won't use it that much, hopefully. I'll probably get my daughter's fella over to pound them in for me, and my neighbor said she'd help me cut them. I've actually had HD or Lowes cut boards for me before, and they may cut the pipes for me, too. Sure would fit in the car better.

I'm done with figuring everything out now, so no more questions to bug you with. Appreciate all the input!

Susan

o
specific pricing

I am putting together a few more trellises, so I thought I'd report back with more accurate prices

The Rebar I buy is 4'. I was mistaken thinking it was 5'.

Rebar $1 each at Atwoods
10' 1/2" conduit is $1.99 at Home Depot.
EMT Elbows are $2.59 at Home Depot.

HTH

Jo

o

Thanks, Jo. My intention is to get my materials next week along with my garden amendments.

Ain't it grand today? Emoticon

Susan

o

Jo, those sound like good prices. I paid $6.10 for 20' 1/2 rebar and $13.70 for 20' 3/4 rebar. The EMT is cheaper than I can get it also. That is part of the problem of living in a small town.

Larry

o

I am not able to see any of the pictures, so here is my .02 worth.

I would advise the ones buying PVC to buy the gray electrical type. It has more UV protection for outside use. The white water pvc pipe will get brittle when left out in the sun over time.

And if you folks did'nt live so far off, i'd haul you some cattle panel and cut them to what ever length you needed.

But then i dont know how you survive without a pickup truck.

o

Busy1,

I agree with you on both counts.

I cannot imagine life here without a pickup truck. Ours is old and has high mileage but I consider it indispensable. Do you know what I find odd though? How many people buy and drive very big, powerful pickup trucks with all the bells and whistles but won't haul anything in them because it might scratch up the paint job. I don't see the point in driving a truck that's too pretty to use.

Dawn

o

That is why I call my pickup a work truck. It's like naming the pig Pork Chop, or the turkey Thanksgiving. I don't want to begin thinking about it in any other way. It knows it's way to the garbage dump and Lowes and an occasional run to Home Depot in Joplin, and soon it will be a compost hauler. Although we probably don't need 3 vehicles, that old truck comes in handy.

Of course, my husband drives an Avalance, and I refer to it as the 'Truckette', because although it has a small bed and is a good vehicle, it just isn't what you load down with manure or compost. LOL

o

I would like to replace my pickup, its like me its getting old and tired. I built a ladder rack for it over a year ago and it is so handy I just cant give it up. There was one just like it in the paper a few weeks back with only 53000 miles on it. I jumped on that in a heartbeat, but I didn't jump fast enough, it sold before I could call. It looks like me and that old truck with the rusty ladder rack will be together for a while.

o
Truck drivin mama

I am just a suburban housewife on one acre who gardens as a hobby. I don't think we could justify the purchase price or insurance on a pickup ;)

Jo

o

I bought 8 cattle panels ($15.88) and 20 6' T-posts ($3.59) from Lumber at South Sooner. Seems to cheapest among other stores.

o

Biradarcm, that is cheaper than anything I have seen in the Ft. Smith area, by about 20 to 25%. If I liver in that area I would buy a few cattle panels.

o

Here is how I built Vertical Trellis over 16 feet raised beds! I used 3 cattle panels (16'x5.2') and six T-posts.

I will plant peas as a spring crop then will go for inter-crop of cucumbers and pole beans once peas done or still producing. -Chandra

o

Beautiful, Chandra! You are a man of many talents! It looks like you raised the height of the trellising to about 6', no? I am very impressed, great job!

Susan

o

Susan, Thank you. Yes I raised about a feet so that we can walk easily in the tunnels! The tunnel can be nice place to relax in hot summer when entire trellis covered by plants! -Chandra

o

Wow, Chandra, you got great prices. The trellis is gorgeous -- can't wait to see it in summer!

Diane

o
chandra

BEAUTIFUL!

Jo

o

Chandra,

It looks great!

Dawn

o

I wish I could find that price in my area, but I know I can't. I got my arch moved yesterday before the rains came, but still have the others to put up. Today it is a lake.

o

Wow, Chandra!! That is NICE!!

I have been watching this thread intently as I need to build a pea trellis and was wondering if the netting was better or if wire was better. I am going with the netting I think.

I didn't know that about conduit (being so cheap). I have some shopping to do!

o

Ezzirah, yes, I was going to get the conduit, too, because it is a bit less expensive than the PVC. I know the conduit will rust some, but am wondering if you can paint it eventually.

Susan

o

Susan, I think EMT has a G-90 Galv. coating. It will last a long time without painting except on the ends where you cut it. If you tie a wire across the bottom to keep the ends out of the soil it will help keep the ends from rusting. ( I think you and Jo said you were dropping then down over re-bar)

I thought I might make DW a trellis like that. She is wanting to grow some flowers this year, altho I doubt she will be able to care for them.

Larry

o
paint

Susan I have EMT conduit in my garden for three years with absolutely zero rust spots or dulling.

I eventually hope to paint it just to make it more cheerful. But I don't think I will NEED to for YEARS.

BTW I am HEARTBROKEN. It looks like my only trellised plants this year will be tomatoes and flowers. I ordered Alabama no 1 pole beans from Sand Hill Preservation, and they sent me a store credit slip. Rabbits got their crop. It is the only pole bean I could find that was Nematode resistant, and I cannot find it for sale anywhere else :(.

Jo

o

Larry, big hugs to your wife. If you were close, I would come grow her some flowers.

Jo

o

Today we installed another four cattle panel trellis in the center of raised beds for tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beans... btw, what other vegetables need trellis? I have one teepee, 3 lattices in addition to 8 cattle panel trellis.

Here is a link that might be useful: see more pics

o

Oh, Chandra, that's a thing of beauty! I hope your wife and kids forgive me because I'm going to have to take a little trip to kidnap you and put you to work making my garden.

Diane

o
Oops

Sorry, I was so distracted by the gorgeous garden set up that I forgot about the question.

Climbing veggies (that I can think of) are:

Peas
Pole Beans
Squash
Melons
Cucumbers

I know I'm not thinking of everything but I'm sure someone will be along to add to the list. Just remember that there are bush and vining types of quite a few things so check what you have.

Diane

o

LOL Diane, my wife said she can offer you ransom in advance for not kidnapping me, she offered you fresh harvest! I can say treat this as your garden, and feel free to visit any time and pick the stuff you want :-)

Those five types of climbing veggies are already in my grow list. I think I have more trellis than I required. -Chandra

By the way, I have planted many peas (1-2" seedling grown indoor) ~85 plants of 8 types.

o

Chandra, I use cattle panels for part of my tomatoes. I just loop them through as they grow and if I miss one I just tie it to the panel. I like tomato cages but they are a hassle to store in the winter time, so I decided that panels work just as well. I use both.

Your yard long beans will grow very tall also.

o

You can grow some winter squash on trellises, like Seminole and Trombocino. Cucuzzi and snake melon also grow on trellises.

Some vining types of southern peas, aka black-eyed peas or pinkeye purplehull peas, grow well on trellises. One southern pea variety that grows very well (and very tall) on trellises is "Red Ripper", also known as "Mandy" or "Big Red Ripper". I know that seed of Big Red Ripper is usually available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Victory Seeds and probably Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, although I haven't looked at their websites to see if they have it this year.

You can grow tiny mini-pumpkins for your children on a trellis. One that is just the right size for a trellis is "Jack Be Little" and another one is "Baby Boo".

You can grow some melons on trellises, provided you make slings of cheesecloth or from knee-high stockings tied to the trellis to support the melons as they enlarge. I've even grown the small refrigerator-sized melons like Sugar Baby and Yellow Doll on a trellis, using a sling to support the fruit once it was about softball-sized.

Ornamental gourds are great on trellises and the cured gourds make lovely autumn decorations on the porch, patio or in bowls set on a table inside the house.

You even can grow luffa gourds on a trellis and let the gourds dry and then you've got natural sponges.

If you still have more trellis space available than plants to grow on it, plant purple (or the more rare white)hyacinth bean vines. They are simply gorgeous and some people eat them, but I grow them just for their beauty.

A vining summer spinach-substitute that grows well on trellises is Red Malabar Spinach.

Dawn

o

Thank you so much Dawn, you have provided me many choices, so many veggies can grow on trellis! So I am not regretting of buying many trellis :-) I almost forgotten about Malabar Spinach, Southern Peas and Purple Hyacinth beans, they are my favorite. Regards -Chandra

o

my setup is below. I was told by an old timer at our community garden that this wont work with trying to weave the tomatoes through the mesh, he said as they grow the branches off the main stem will run into the mesh and get cut. It seems like the branches would just work their way through the mesh, and I could work the main stem through the mesh? I just wanted to get more input before I pull all my tomatoes out of the mesh. Thanks!

tomato trellis

o

I have 17 plants growing on cattle panels and I have been doing that for several years. Cattle panel is a little thicker than your wire and is therefore more rigid but I have never had problems using them for tomatoes. It is best to check them about every other day so you can continue to tuck them through. Couple of days later I run them back through another block. You can't wait too long or they won't be flexible enough to pull through. This doesn't support every branch but I have never had one break from the weight of fruit and have certainly not had them grow into the wire and get cut. Sometimes I wait to long and have to put a clip on a vine to get it going in the right direction again. All you are really doing is supporting the main stems of the plant so that it remains upright and doesn't sprawl on the ground.

My DH built me a couple of dozen new cages this year and I will probably use all of my trellis for peas and beans in the future, but the panels have worked just fine for me.

o

Premier87, I don't think there is a perfect way to support tomatoes, all methods have +/- to them. I use a system like yours except I use T-post and re-bar along with binder twine. I plan on trying crw bent into an "L" with hooks bent into the wire where I cut it apart. I will then hang the hooks over the re-bar after planting time. I now disassemble everything at the end of the season, which is too much work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here