Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breasley_gw

Babywine

breasley
14 years ago

Anyone grown Babywine? What did you think of it?

Comments (9)

• elkwc
    14 years ago

I've never grown it so can't comment. Have seen it listed at one site. One I don't even have in my inventory. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

I've never grown it and I don't personally know anyone who has. However, I'll say this....I think it would be worth growing just to see if (a) it had good flavor or (b) it had great flavor that bears any resemblance whatsoever to the flavor of Brandywine (Queen of all the tomato varieties).

The seed has been available through at least one retailer (Mariseeds) for quite a few years now and I've seen it elsewhere the last year or two, yet it doesn't seem like it has built up a big following among serious tomato afficianado types who have huge grow lists every year. That fact alone makes me think it isn't as wonderful as they try to make it sound. I have tried many tomato plants said to have Brandywine in their heritage, or said to have 'beaten' or 'tied' Brandywine in taste tests, and 99% of them come nowhere near having the rich, complex flavor of Brandywine. I think if Babywine had that Brandywine flavor, it would be on everyone's grow list and it just isn't.

The only way you'll know, though, is to try it. If you want to grow it because it sounds like a good tomato, that alone is reason to try it. If you want to grow it because you think it will give you Brandywine flavor, my guess is that you might be disappointed. That's just a guess though. Ask yourself this, if it's name and description didn't mention Brandywine at all, would anything in the description have tempted you to try it?

If you're looking for a Brandywine type that tolerates our heat and produces better than Brandywine and which has a flavor somewhat reminiscent of Brandywine Sudduth's, I'd try Burpee's Brandy Boy.

Dawn

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Like I said I've never grown it and hesitate to say anything on hear say that might discourage anyone. What I've heard is it may have a Brandywine trait. Not setting fruit as well as others in it's size range. But then it may do great in your garden. Some people have great results with Brandywine. The only one so far that does good here is the Brandyboy Dawn mentioned. So if you have room and have seeds and you don't mind taking a chance then I would grow it. If you've looked at my list you know I do. I have cut down on the Brandywine types I'm trying. Till I find that one that does well here will try to limit my experimenting with them to 2-4 a year. And this year probably going over a couple. And remember I've only heard about it and like I said earlier have never grown it. In last years SSE yearbook no one listed it. The source that Dawn mentioned is the only source I've seen this year that I remember. If you grow it please let us know how it does. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Jay,

I haven't seen many written reviews of it online, but I do remember that a couple of them mentioned it was a very productive plant and others mentioned it had only average flavor.

This year it is on the Terroir Seeds website (they used to be Underwood Gardens and I'm not sure why the name changed) and it was in their catalog. I don't have their catalog here with me, but I think it was called Grandma's Garden Seeds or something similar. Some Canadian and British Seed companies have offered it the last year or two as well, and someone else here had it on their website...it might have been Dianeseeds(?). A couple of places that sell tomato plants have listed it as being available in 2010, and I think Lisa Merrell has it on her list of available plants.

I thought about ordering seed and trying it this year, but then thought of the reviews I'd read and decided it wasn't that high on my priority list, especially since the Tomato King sent me so many interesting varieties to try.

Dawn

• roseypest
    13 years ago

Ok, I am in coastal California, but I LOVED this tomato, and I had to put my two cents in. I found your discussion while trying to find out if anyone else had grown this excellent tomato.
    I grew it last year, and it was a unexpected surprise. I wanted to try out the sun exposure in a new spot in my yard, and randomly chose it, and it ended up being a super sweet, very delicious, prolific, thin skinned tomato, pinkish turning to deep red when very ripe. It was much larger than a cherry, but smaller than the early girls I get. I have been looking for starts everywhere this year, and have not had success finding any so far. I did not realize it was hard to get--I originally bought the plant at my local garden & hardware store.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

And there you have it Breasley. If you ever move to coastal California, it's a winner.

I think everyone raves about Brandywine until they try to grow it in Oklahoma, so maybe this is an alternative. Let us know!

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Maybe being smaller fruited, it will do better in our heat.

I still grow Prudence Purple, which I received from an older gentleman in Charleston, IL (ca 1985). I haven't grown Brandywine, but I understand that this one is similar, and I am surprised how well it does here. It's large fruited.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Many of us have and still chase the Babywine "Rainbow". Looking for that pot at the end we've heard so much about. I do try to be more selective and grow those which I feel has the best chance of producing here. Even at that I haven't had good results. Babywine is one I've considered but like I've said above I've heard reports that have made me select another Brandywine version to try. George I'm growing Prudence Purple if I get a good healthy plant. Haven't checked to see if it has germinated or not. I hope it isn't like Brandywine here. But then you never really know till you grow them in your garden. Jay

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Jay,
    I probably need to start some Prudence Purple. Just haven't gotten "round 'tuit." Still, I've had it set fruit pretty well when it's really hot for a large fruited tomato. It is indeterminate. But this variety rarely get's much over 5' tall. I just haven't ever grown Brandywine for comparison.

George

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA