Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Effects on Pests

Posted by tigerdawn 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 17:29

For the guru's: do you think this bitter cold will kill off garden pests more than milder winters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Effects on Pests

No. Most pests have evolved to survive bouts of cold weather. It is a myth that cold winter weather reduces the pest population. My experience has been the opposite---that a spring after a very cold winter has higher, not lower, pest populations.

o

Well, phooey.

o

I still feel that extreme cold weather although very miserable has some benefits and know many farmers that feel the same way. I think it helps with some disease issues. I see less the summer after an extended cold spell like this one. We were -12 this morning and 29 now. Seems like a heat wave. If your ground is bare and freezes several inches deep it will tend to eliminate some problems. If mulched heavy then not as much if at all. The problem with most of the pests I have trouble with is they come in on the SW winds from southern Texas and New Mexico. So the cold here has no effect on them. My personal experience here is I might see a slight reduction in pest trouble after an extreme cold spell in the winter. But not that much as I don't have a lot of pests that overwinter here. The ground here is froze deep and has cracks in it from freezing. We didn't have any snow cover either which allows it too really soak in deep. So pest wise I don't expect to notice much if any difference. Disease wise I feel I will. Again personal experience which is with temps considerably colder and for longer periods of time than most of you will ever have. I know that one KSU agronomist used to say after a cold winter you would see less disease and he felt less trouble with certain native pests. Again just one persons opinion. And in colder temps than even I experience here. I heard of -22 lows not that far from me this morning. Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here