Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krussow_gw

2011 garden help

krussow
13 years ago

What is your Favorite type of Bush Green bean?

I want huge yeilds. and sturdy plants that stay upright. last year the yeilds were ok but the plants i was not impressed with

and okra..

last year i planted clemson spineless and it was tough no matter the size and i was not impressed at all. any suggestions?

this year im super excited im doubling my garden size and planting

carrots, pumpkins, melons, and calliflower and brocilli and pepper plants.

and im adding a honey bee hive..

any help on plant varities that i should to use.. i have about highlighted all of my Gurneys Catalog

Comments (13)

• boomer_sooner
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Last year I had good luck with Blue Lake variety of bush green bean.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

FAVORITE BUSH BEANS: My favorites are mostly oddball varieties from Italy or heirloom varieties that you likely haven't heard of before.

Some of the more common and easy-to-find bush bean varieties that we like and which perform well here include these: Contender, Provider, Jade, Topcrop and Derby. Some of the more unusual heirloom varieties we like include Marconi (a bush Romano type bean), Tanya's Pink Pod (very heat tolerant), Royal Burgundy (purple beans), Dragon Tongue, Merveille de Piemonte (Wonder of the Piedmont), and Borlotto Lingua Di Fuoco.

For huge yields, you'd be better off planting pole beans because they produce much larger harvests than bush beans. I plant both kinds....bush beans for the earlier harvests and lots of beans for fresh eating, and pole beans for the much heavier harvests and for fresh eating and also canning or freezing. Pole beans will need some sort of support to grow on...either tee pees made of poles or a trellis.

Most bush beans that produce heavily may stay more or less upright but also may fall over because they are top-heavy with beans. You could stake each plant to hold it up, or just put up with them leaning over a bit.

OKRA: I don't normally have a problem with Clemson Spineless 80 getting tough very quickly but in very hot years, all okra can get tough if it isn't getting enough water. Some other okras known for their tenderness include Cowhorn, Stewart's Zeebest and Green Velvet.

RECOMMENDED VARIETIES: Many vegetable varieties grow well here. I've linked the list of OSU-recommended vegetable varieties for home gardens. However, most of us grow lots of other varieties that are not included on that list.

GURNEY'S: I buy seeds from probably 20 companies a year, but this is not one of them. That's a hint.....

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommended Vegetable Varieties

• lat0403
    13 years ago

I bought Blue Lake, but then I read it doesn't tolerate heat well. I think I'll try it anyway and just keep my fingers crossed. It's on OSU's list and I can't imagine they'd choose a variety that doesn't tolerate heat.

Leslie

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Leslie, Blue Lake Pole did great for me, but last year I bought Kentucky Wonder Pole and they were a Japanese Beetle magnet. I had some Contender Bush that I planted early and they finished before the beetles hit.

• krussow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

i have never ordered from them before but they are the main one that i have heard of..and i have $50 worth of coupons. LOL

last year i had bush beans and pole beans and the pole produced nothing and the bush did ok.. i do 75 ft rows and that much of a trellis for the pole beans was just insane so i decied to do just bush this year..

this year i was looking at Contender Derby jade and baritone bean varities and going to do a row of each..

and okra i am going to try and water better about the time that the okra started producing last year we hit the super hot temps and drought and i just could not keep up with watering it like it probably needed..

Thank you so much Dawn. a list of seed companies that you use i would love to have! im trying to branch out on variety after years of raiding the feed store... they about died last year when i got enough seet for 12 rows of corn.... then about cried with me after the neighbors cows ate it all down right as it started to make..

last year was the first garden that my farm had in 12 years and it was an expirence with pests !!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

First of all, last year's weather was very challenging. It got way too hot way too early and all the extre-high humidity did not help because high humidity can denature some plant pollens and interfere in pollination.

Secondly, pests also were the worst I can remember since the 1970s. Hopefully this year will be much better. Pole beans in general did not perform well last year because it got so hot so early, and that's just how beans are.

Third, without going into great detail about the seed company whose catalog you're perusing, I'll just say there are other companies with which I've had a much more positive buying experience. Any company that "has to" offer a $25 off a $50 purchase coupon seems desperate to me. A good, reputable company that offers quality products and has great customer service never, ever, ever has to resort to that kind of gimmick to get your business.

Fourth, here's some seed companies from whom I've purchased for years, and in some cases, well over a decade. I've never been disappointed in them or by them.

Willhite Seed Company. Linked below. Based in Texas and only sells varieties that perform well in our climate. Great prices.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. (www.rareseeds.com) Amazing selection of heirloom and open-pollinated varieties.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (www.southernexposure.com). Wonderful selection of heirlooms well-adapted to the southern USA and Atlantic coastal regions. I grow many, many, many of their varieties.

Tomato Growers Supply Company (www.tomatogrowers.com) Outstanding source for tomato, pepper and eggplant seeds and supplies.

Totally Tomatoes. (www.totallytomato.com) Wonderful selection of tomatoes and other vegetables.

Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org). This is a seed savers exchange you can join and belong to, giving you access to thousands of varieties offered for a nominal price through the members-only yearbook. Many of these open-pollinated varieties are not available elsewhere. Or, without joining the exchange, you can purchase seeds from their public retail offerings, available at their website or through their catalog.

Gleckler Seedmen (www.gleckerseedmen.com) This is one of America's oldest seed companies. It closed down for a while, then was revived last year. They offer a lot of unique tomato varieties.

Pinetree Garden Seeds (www.superseeds.com) Offers smaller packets at smaller prices. Great quality seed and customer service.

Victory Seed (www.victoryseed.com) My favorite source for heirloom, open-pollinated seed but also offers many other veggies, herbs and flowers. Their customer service is wonderful and their seeds always have high germination rates. I appreciate greatly that they very carefully document their histories of the heirloom varieties they offer, which is not true of every company that sells heirlooms.

High Mowing Seed. This company not only offers a great selection of heirloom and open-pollinated varieties, but also is involved in breeding/selecting improved versions of O-P varieties. www.highmowingseeds.com

Johnny's Selected Seeds. A top-notch company that offers all kinds of seeds---both hybrid and open-pollinated, both old heirloom types and new modern ones---and with a special focus on high quality merchandise and great customer service. Their catalog is a virtual "how to garden" guide that is simply wonderful. They have lots of how-to videos on their website. www.johnnyseeds.com.

Seeds From Italy (www.growitalian.com) This company imports seeds from Italy, mostly from a major European seed company called Franchi-Sementi seed. I've been purchasing bean, melon and tomato seeds from them for several years and have been very pleased with each and every variety I've purchased from them. I have found that varieties that produce well in Italy's climate also produce well in ours.

That's a handful of companies that will not let you down.

Dawn

• krussow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you Dawn! you have great input! i appreciate your time. last year was a challenge for sure.. this year should be better i hope at least if i have bugs again my chickens will be happy.. they Loved the Japanese beetles and i was glad to have them eating them up.

I will check out those websites.. i get my tomatoes from a loval greenhouse and have great luck with them. green beans corn okra and cold weather crops and potatoes are my big ambition this year and i might attempt carrots...

also i am adding 2 rows or plackberry adn raspberry plants! so if your ever in my neck of the woods come on up and fill a few buckets hopefully! i have a illness of Over planting.. which i think in this economy is a good thing.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

krussow - Atwoods in Vinita always has a nice selection of seed potatoes at a fair price. Are your berries already in or will this be the first year for them? Do you have a farm, or do you have a garden in town?

• krussow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

last year i got potatoes from Frisbys, and also the bennys produce east of Miami has Great seed potatoes and a good selection. i have not planted my Berries yet i have to go pick up my plants as soon as the weather breaks there are several farms around that have them. im doing 30 blackberry thornless plants and about 15 raspberry. i have a farm. the origional owner used to have an Acre garden... im not to that point yet.LOL but am lucky with Great ground an amazingly no rocks in my garden spot.

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

I don't have room for a lot of berries but I am planning to try a few things from this company. We thought we might call them and see if we can just run over there and pick them up. I'll be buying asparagus and a few other things. I've never bought from them before, have you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Simmons Plant Farm

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

What I order, I order from Johnny's select seeds. I did order some pepper seeds for peppergal this year and they came in what looked like a plain mailed envelope. A mom-pop operation, I suspect. Which is fine by me. Last year I got burpee bush beans and was not disappointed. They where my most prolific plant last year.

For what it is worth....

• krussow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

soonergrandmom,

they are about an hour south of me Suprisingly there are a few farms around my moms just across the arkansas line i have found..

there is one that i heard of that may have them cheaper than simmons.

• brake4turtles
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the link soonergrandmom! I have been researching blueberries all winter and thought it would be a good long-term project to start but was undecided on where to get them. They have the varieties I was looking for

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA