Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Some Stores Have Tomato Plants Now

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

Over the weekend, I found tomato plants (from Bonnie Plants) at the Wal-Mart in Gainesville, TX. They were not the big ones in 5 or 6" peat pots that I have found in years past. These were smaller ones in about 3" peat pots. They only had a handful of varieties--Early Girl, Park's Whopper, Big Boy, Tami G (a grape type), Celebrity and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Today, I noticed that the Lowe's in Ardmore also had its first shipment of small tomato plants in stock on the Bonnie Plants display rack. Theirs were in small 4 packs and the tomato plants were about half the size of those in the 3" peat pots from the Gainesville Store. They had about the same varieties--Early Girl, Park's Whopper, Big Boy, Tami G, Celebrity and Red Beefsteak (if this is the same Red Beefsteak they've sold in previous years, it is very similar to Red Ponderosa and may be identical to RP).

So, if anyone down here is looking for some small tomato plants to pot up into containers or to grow inside a greenhouse or sunroom, the first round of plants is in the stores now.

If you are new to growing tomatoes, please understand that just because the plants are in the stores now, that does not mean it is time to put them in the ground. The OSU-recommended planting dates for tomato plants in OK are April 10-30. I often cheat and put the plants in the ground near the end of March if the soil temps are warm enough and if I feel like I'll be able to cover them up well enough to protect them from freezing temperatures. At our house this morning, it was a frosty 28 degrees, so I'm not in a hurry to put tomatoes in the ground, but I've got a few in the sunroom.

Dawn

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting