Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap garden soil?

Posted by schastapop (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 19:25

I need about 60 cubic feet (about 2 yards) of good soil for my new raised bed. Any advice on where to get some? The bags at the garden centers are just so expensive to buy large quantities. I live in Moore.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap garden soil?

If you have access to a pickup truck, I know of some bulk soil places that will charge you by the yard. I picked up some cotton burr compost and cow manure compost from Minick Materials in Norman, and they just used a front end loader to scoop up some and dump it in the back of my truck until it was full. Unfortunately Minick doesn't list their prices on their website. There's also a place called Murphy Products in OKC. I linked their website instead since they have prices for everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murphy

o

The phone number for Murphy's is 1-800-TOPSOIL. When you call, ask for Dirty Harry. If you are good at talking dirty, Harry will make you a deal.

o

at K & K on Sooner Rd in Moore, you can get good soil dumped in the back of your truck for $65. I filled 3 2x8 beds with it. It's good stuff too.

o

I do have a pick-up truck. I'll check these places out! Thank you all!

o

I recently got some garden-ready soil from Minick, I think it was about $30/cubic yard. I don't have a truck so had to pay an exorbitant amount for delivery.

o

Last year we had good discussion about the garden ready soil sources for raised beds. I am linking thread below. -Chandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Soil for raised beds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here