Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black raspberries

Posted by sammy OK/7A (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 20:22

Why are black raspberries no longer available in the stores, and do any of you know how to grow them? They are my favorite berry, and we can never find them. We find the large black berries, but not the black raspberry.

I get the jam all the time, so I know they grow somewhere. Dawn, you seem to know about the berries, do you happen to know if they will grow here? I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so thought I would start my own.

Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black raspberries

Sammy,

I don't know why black raspberries are harder to find in grocery stores nowadays. It is probably a combination of factors and one of those is the expense. Most people will just buy blackberries instead of black raspberries because they are cheaper. Also, I think raspberries are more delicate and, therefore, harder to ship than blackberries.

In some stores you can still find black raspberries frozen in boxes or bags, but only in the larger stores that have a really great selection. I think it is more economical for fruit processors/wholesalers to sell black raspberries frozen instead of fresh due to their delicacy, relatively short shelf life when freshly-picked, and transportation costs from the cooler regions of the country to here.

If you wanted to try to grow raspberries here in Oklahoma, I think the black ones would do better than the red or gold ones. Raspberries don't grow as well as blackberries here in Oklahoma because they don't like our wildly fluctuating winter high temps and they don't like our summer heat.

We had a thread on raspberries last year because Mark received some raspberry plants as a gift. I'll find that thread and link it below.

I do think you have a better chance of getting them to grow in the parts of Oklahoma that are zone 6 instead of zone 7, especially if you have good soil and a lot of rain.

Also, you might want to google and find the website for the Oklahoma Fruit Growers Association. They've been trialing raspberries for several years, trying to identify which varieties might succeed here. Also, if anyone is growing black raspberries commercially (and successfully) in Oklahoma, the association should know.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring 2007 Blackberry Thread

o
RE: black raspberries

Thanks for the link, Dawn. I don't have any foods in my garden, so I think I need to begin small, and work up to the black raspberries. Whatever I grow, I need to be able to cover it for awhile if I spray. That is a true drawback to having so many roses.

It is still nice to think that I might be able to grow them someday.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here