Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bougainvillea ?

Posted by sorie6 6b ok. (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 20:58

This may not be the right forum but you folks here are so knowledgeable that I thought you might know how to divide my bogie up. There are 2 plants in the pot. I don't know how old it is. I got it in the fall at a garden center here. they had cut them back.
I cut it way back (as you can see) when I brought it in.
I looks pretty sad but it is blooming it's face off! I know not to do it till it's done blooming.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bougainvillea ?

Are there more than one stem going down into the soil? If so, you can probably take it out of the pot and gently pull it apart. bougainvillea can be reproduced by cuttings in damp sand or potting medium. So I suspect it would recover if you pamper it a bit.

By the way, those "flowers" contain a natural decongestant. In Mexico people will make a tea from the red colored "flowers" to help with colds. One friend told us to boil together:

a clove of garlic
3 bougainvillea "flowers"
a handful of eucalyptus leaves
honey to taste

The resultant tea hardly tasted good, but it was the best cough medicine and decongestant we have ever tried.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: bougainvillea ?

Yes there is more than one stem 2 plants.
thanks for the cough med recipe! Might just come in handy one day.
Luckily (fingers crossed ) we've not had any sickness this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here