Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

So is anyone interested in a 2014 "Spring Fling"

p_mac
10 years ago

It may be a bit early to bring this up....but NAH.....

Last year was a blast for me! I got to meet and see so many from the NE part of our state thanks to Jo Ellen! She was a trooper of a hostess! She put EVERYTHING together in less than 3 weeks! But I don't think she'd volunteer for it 2 years in a row. LOL!

Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there's enough interest. I know Trees4ok mentioned last year she'd offer to host so maybe that's an option. Also - I'd be happy to host too. If there's anyone else out there who'd like to maybe chime in - post here! I'm thinking a good time would be April 27 (Saturday after Easter). Anyone else have any ideas? Of course, we would start a totally separate sign up thread once we get the details established - but let's see if there's enough interest first. Btw - for any newbies - I'm central Oklahoma (Norman) located and so is Trees (Edmond I think)

So what does anyone think?

Paula

Comments (42)

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

I'll be the first to say 'I'd love to.' Transporation is wonky for me, though. Will keep an eye out and give it a shot!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Paula, do you even have to ask? :) Yes for me!

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Count me in! Sounds fantastic :)

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Oops, duplicate post! :) I apparently got overly excited lol

This post was edited by amunk01 on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 20:48

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

it is never too early!

Count me in, as long as it isn't snowing on that date. (grin)

• Cynthiann
    10 years ago

It sounds like fun.. I may try. Although, do you mean April 26 and not 27? The 26th is Saturday. That stood out to me because I'm doing the Memorial Marathon on Sunday April 27.

Cynthia

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Definitely!

• wulfletons
    10 years ago

I doubt I will have any seedlings to share, but will find some way to contribute.
    Krista

• amunk01
    10 years ago

Ok, I just read through the 2013 Spring Fling thread (trying to figure out what exactly a âÂÂspring fling" consists of) and my sides are literally aching from laughing so hard at all the recluse and hermit admissions! You would never know it by how wonderfully helpful and quick to share this group is! I guess its no wonder I've felt oddly at home here! I'll be the first to say it.. I'm so nervous to come, but I'm dying to put faces to names and hang out with everyone! I wouldn't miss it for the world so sign me up for anything the hostess needs help with! I'm in Edmond and my sister is in Norman so any prep we can help with, don't hesitate to ask!
    Alexis

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

amunk01 aka alexis - Welcome home! haha! I gotta real "kick" out of your take because you guessed it! We are all wonderfully "off" together!!!

Cynthia - um...yep. You're right. I meant the 26th of April. Saturday AFTER Easter. My bad for trying to multi task and look at a calendar. Shouldn't be that hard because I was transplanting tomatoe sprouts while looking at the calendar!

Anyone else? And yes, I know participation amps up the closer it gets. Planting season and a get together in Spring! It don't. get. NO. better.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I wonder if I dip in the red river and wash off the west Tx dust if I could come ?
    kim

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Absolutely!!! We Okies always welcome folks from other states. You are a part of our forum, after all. However, if you dip yourself in the Red River, you and your clothes will be dyed Red River Clay Red, and I am not sure that is an improvement over West Texas dust.

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I would love to come since I feel I know you all already. I am mostly a lurker but occasionally have spurts of socializing. :)
    kim

• wulfletons
    10 years ago

I should have mentioned that I don't think we are up for hosting, but if this year's fling is held in central Ok we can help with food and other prep (we are in far north east Cleveland county).

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim - HECKYAH you're welcome!!! Like Dawn (a transplanted Texan herself!) said - we're ALL part of the same group!!! You and Dawn got here to our Oklahoma way just as fast as you could, I'm sure. haha! And personally, I'm kinda partial to west Texas dust...my godson and his new son live in Sweetwater.

Wulfleton - you just may be a neighbor. I too am in far northeast Cleveland County.

And just FYI - this isn't some kind of fancy affair. We have a "pot-luck" luncheon. Just whatever you want to bring...it ALWAYS works out to be more than enough food. No plants to share? No worry. Someone ALWAYS has more than they need. Haven't seen one yet in 4 years that there wasn't an abundance that someone took home. Got extra pots? Plant Stakes? Trays? Bring them. This is just the one time of year we try to get together to put names to faces (and faces to names). No sweat. No obligation.

• nowyousedum
    10 years ago

I, too, am mostly a lurker! I've posted a few times, but so enjoy soaking up all the "dirt" on gardening! I'm in SWOKC, so anywhere is good for me.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

Paula, count me in please.

• KB21
    10 years ago

I would love to join you all. I've been a lurker for the last year or so and am so appreciative of the useful information on this site. IâÂÂm starting my first garden this year (and taking a couple of horticulture classes at OSU-OKC) and have been soaking up the info like a spongeâ¦
    Kristin

• cochiseinokc
    10 years ago

Count me in. I love this site and would love to meet you guys!

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

I'm in
    Paula do you really want to do this again?
    Your a trooper and I do love it at your place.

• shankins123
    10 years ago

My first response was, "Well, duh!"
    My gracious response is, "Yes, of course!"
    I'll bring food, a door prize of some sort, and ... not sure about plants - we shall see :-D

Anyone and everyone....come! Even if you "lurk", have no plants, have no clue, and cannot cook...we'd love to get to know you in person!

Sharon

• shallot
    10 years ago

I would like to come and meet everyone. It was nice to put names to a few faces at the onion pick up so it would be great to add a few more!

The end of April will be busy for me because I defend my dissertation the following week. Maybe the lure of the spring fling will encourage me to get some work done in advance! I sure want to come though!

• seeker1122
    10 years ago

Last year someone made a cornbread salad.
    It was yummy.
    I didn't eat any meat cuz I was too busy eating that.
    Bravo to the chef.
    Tree

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Shallot - the fling is as short or as long as you want to make it! A few years ago I could only stay about an hour because I had a wedding photography job booked in the early afternoon. I had to skip the lunch portion of the event, but still managed to make it out with plenty of plants looking for a home. I changed into my work clothes in a gas station bathroom on my way to the church; totally worth it!

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Oh, I bet I was the one who made the cornbread salad. I forgot all about it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornbread Salad

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tree - it WAS Lisa's Cornbread Salad. I ate it until I was almost sick. LOVED IT!!!! Lisa - I hope you know that is my ONE request from you this year. Please and thank you! And tonite I also grilled JoEllen's chicken. THAT recipe was a definite Keeper.

Mia - I remember your first year too!!! I was so impressed that although you had other obligations - you STILL made the time to be there. And that was how many years back? ha!

So...all...looking like we'll plan for April 26 @ the ol' NE Norman Acres? I think there's enough interest I'd be safe renting the porta-potty! LOL!!!

It makes me very happy to see so much interest in a spring get-together! This has been a wonderful weather weekend for most of us. Hope you got your hands in the dirt!

• daughteroflight
    10 years ago

I confess to lurking around here for the last year or so. I'll also probably have more questions than answers...as I've done most of my gardening in the north. Depending on the details I would enjoy getting together with you.

• carsons_mimi
    10 years ago

Yepper... 'nuf said. :-)

• jlhart76
    10 years ago

I'm late to the party but count me in. I doubt I'll have anything to swap but I'll find something to contribute. We won't be selling the house this year after all so I might as well start a garden back up.

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Paula, I emailed you a couple of days after the onion pick up - did you receive my message?

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Mia and many thanks!

Mia checked with our other forum member who had mentioned hosting the Spring Fling last year. She's going to be busy this spring, but hope she can make it to the Fling anyway.

SO! DH & I will be hosting this year! Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 26th! I'll start a sign up thread here in a few weeks so we can get an idea of how many, etc. By then we might have more of our gardens planned so we can start planning trades, swaps & offerings.

After a crazy couple of years, we're really looking forward to hosting and seeing everyone again!!!!

Paula

• joellenh
    10 years ago

I think I am going to miss it this year....:( I've been all wonky. I'm going to miss seeing you guys! I hope you have a great time!

Jo

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I just read all the messages. I hope, to bring my daughter (okievegan) with me, and to be there.

Just looked at the calendar, and it is open that day.

Count me in too.

Moni

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo - we will miss you!!! And there's still time to change your mind....just sayin'.

Yea, Moni! I was hoping you would at least have a ride scheduled out here so you could drop by.

Watch the forum, guys. I'll be starting a sign up thread with the specifics by hopefully, this weekend. And if I don't reply real fast ....don't worry. At work I'm suffering thru a large government computer roll-out so.....I may be out doing garden therapy. A lot.

Paula

• okievegan
    10 years ago

Hey mom, when and where is it?

Whoever is hosting...
    Are tiny little Maltese dogs in strollers permitted to go?

• p_mac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

April 26 - info coming soon. Out at our place.

And of course tiny little Maltese dogs in strollers are welcome! One can't leave their children at home unattended.

Sorry...I just answered the "Mom" thing.....

Paula (aka p-mac)

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

thanks Paula :) One just never quits being a mom.

Moni

• okievegan
    10 years ago

Yay!! We are excited!! :)

• Erod1
    10 years ago

Paula, what town is it???

• amunk01
    10 years ago

I think Paula is in Norman. :)

• Erod1
    10 years ago