Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezzirah011

Climbing Strawberry Plants

ezzirah011
12 years ago

I was looking around online and discovered the cultivar of strawberries, Mount Everest, that can be grown up a trellis. I would love to find some here (or even the seed), but cannot. They all seem to sold in the UK. I could order them from there, but that could get costly. I figured any cultivar would work, as long as the runners don't need to root.

Does any one know a variety of strawberry that the runners don't need to root?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    12 years ago

Ezzirah,

No, I don't know of any varieties of strawberries sold in the USA that have runners that don't need to root, especially in our hot, dry summer weather.

One thing to remember is that the UK's summer weather is incredibly mild compared to ours, so what might work there might not work here.

American companies are quick to bring plant varieties to the USA if they think they will grow and produce well here, so if these climbing strawberries are the real deal and not just a novelty that sounds better than it performs, then some US company will bring them here before too long. Many of the new veggies, flowers, and herbs introduced here every year are developed by multinational firms operating outside the US. With the global economy, gardeners in many areas are growing the exact same things nowadays unless they are growing traditonal open-pollinated varieties that haven't yet made it outside their local communities.

If the climbing strawberries produce well, I think it is likely we'll see them introduced in the USA first to greenhouse growers or possibly hydroponic growers. They're always looking for ways to get the best production in the space available.

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, ok...Thanks Dawn!

• domesticdiana
    11 years ago

I may be a little late to this but I am also interested in this kind of strawberry and have found one website that sells 6 plants per order. I will let you know if I buy or not as I want to investigate further. If it helps, I'm from Texas and am wanting a climbing strawberry variety to save on space.

Here is the website:

https://www.gardenerscollection.com/wwstore/item.wws?sku=0061

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I don't know anything about this company, but since the items looked weird, I decided to Google and see what I could find. Not good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uh-oh

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Carol, Your link made me wonder what else we should know about them. On another consumer affairs complaint website, I found that they formerly operated under the name of Gardeners Choice. Under that name they have over 300 negative reviews at the garden w a t c h d o g site we cannot link here. Before I even went to the dog site, I said to myself "this sounds like Spring Hill Nursery...." and, lo and behold, guess who Spring Hill is affiliated with according to the dog site?

I always google for reviews before I buy from any online seller that is new to me. I cannot tell you how many times that sort of research has stopped me from throwing away my money. There's a lot of scam companies that give you little to nothing worthwhile and more or less refuse to refund your money. It always pays off to research well before ordering.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

Dawn, I only had to make that mistake once. After weeks of emails back and forth, I finally got my money back through their payment handler, not the company. Every week they would tell me it had already shipped, but of course that wasn't the truth. It was always shipped (yesterday), like 'the check is in the mail' story.