Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June Bugs

Posted by farmgardener (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 7:47

Has anyone else noticed an abundance of June bugs already this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June Bugs

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 8:35

im here in south tulsa and havent noticed any yet. I have dug up some good size grubs lately. maybe we should start calling them April bugs. That seems to be when I start noticing them here.

mike

o

I've been seeing June bugs for at least two weeks. Usually we see them here in April in southcentral OK.

This is the second consecutive year we've had them this early, and I think they be a bit earlier this year than they were last year.

I just put a 5-gallon bucket of water outside under the big security light that illuminates the driveway, and in the morning it is full of drowned bugs.

o

I've dug up a couple which were just about ready to start flying. Last year we had some flying in March.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

What I know as June Bugs are large metallic green beetles. They look a lot like Japanese Beetles only twice the size. Is that what you all are seeing? I haven't seen any here yet. Haven't seen any of the smaller brown/tan ones that we call May Beetles either. Nor any Japanese Beetles. What we are seeing a multitude of are wasps, both black and red.

o

Dorothy,

Wikipedia shows five different kinds of beetles known locally where they are found as either June bugs or June beetles. The one I am talking about is the first one mentioned in the Wiki article linked below, and I think it is the one you describe as May Beetles. I think the one you're talking about is the second one mentioned in the Wiki article. I have seen the green one that you call June bugs only once or twice here and only in the last couple of years.

I don't generally see many, if any, Japanese Beetles here (for which I am very grateful).

There are a lot of wasps out here too.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia Page on June Bugs

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 8:51

well they are out now. I was out watering last night and had a few buzz the tower

mike

o

Yup. I keep digging those May beetles up and they're MOVING. Tells me they'll be popping out soon if not already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here