Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

2 10th of an inch!

OklaMoni
11 years ago

and I feel so lucky. Last rain I drained 5 drops out of my rain gauge.

Hope most in the OKC area did gets some rain too... no, I hope most of all of us will have some rain before the end of next week.

Moni

Comments (9)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    11 years ago

Moni,

Yay! Rain is good. I am glad you got that whole 2/10s of an inch and hope you get more.

In the last couple of days we've received almost an inch, and there's more in the forecast for several days this week....though there is no guarantee it actually will fall.

Dawn

• greenacreslady
    10 years ago

Our rain gauge has evidently sprung a leak because it registered almost nothing but there was enough standing water in the low spots that I know enough fell here to at least be measurable. Time for a new rain gauge. I do wish I'd managed to get something planted before it rained, but on the other hand with the up and down temps this spring it's probably just as well to wait a little longer. At least it feels good to know that the garden is all tilled and ready to go.

Suzie

• ponderpaul
    10 years ago

nine tenths total in Kingston over the week end!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Suzie,

I was looking at the muddy mess that is my garden yesterday and wishing I'd put some more seeds in the ground before it rained too....and then we went down to 39 degrees early this morning (I think our forecast was for 46) and that reminded me why I hadn't rushed seeds into the ground ahead of the rain.

While the weather will be lovely today, we still have to get through some colder days mid-week before it warms up again. I hope we've seen our last temperature reading in the 30s in our county for this spring....but suspect we haven't.

Ponderpaul, Wasn't it lovely having rain falling from the sky? It seems like such a rarity anymore. Our county still ended March at below-average rainfall, but it would have been a lot worse without the weekend's rain.

Now, just so we can compare regions, I'm gonna post the map that shows how long it has been since each mesonet station recorded at least 0.25" of rain. For some areas, it has been far too long.

Dwn
    Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Consecutive Days With Less Than 0.25

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Not sure what we got in NW OKC Saturday night, but it was enough I had to get up and shut all the windows at 3am. :) It was the perfect amount to moisten the garden for digging. My DH and I finally shoveled and sifted the last of the bermuda out of the veggie garden, and we pressed to finish before dark because the soil was just so perfect - not too wet to work in, but so easy to dig and shake off the roots. I didn't want to waste the opportunity, but oh, I am feeling it today! Next on the list is to line to paths with cardboard then mulch, then attempt some kind of barrier around the garden to help keep the bermuda out. Forecasters are saying 1-3 inches over the next couple of days.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

My rain gauge said I apparently had .25 inches over the weekend. I was out of town, but I heard we had had a little bit of rain. Several people kept mentioning that H word. Ohhhh, I am not ready for hail season yet.

I need to get out in the garden and start hunting for stuff to pot up for the Spring Fling :)

Lisa

• greenacreslady
    10 years ago

I sure hope the forecasters are right about 1-3 inches, but it would be nice if the predicted higher totals were in the dry parts of the state like the panhandle and the western areas. Yesterday we visited a friend at a VA Center and while there I met and visited with one of the residents who is an interesting man from Cimarron County in the OK panhandle. I told him I'd recently read a very good book about the Dust Bowl and he shared quite a bit about the current conditions. He keeps up with the situation there through family. When you look at the link Dawn posted with the consecutive days with less than .25 inches of rainfall and see 107 days, it speaks volumes. If anyone is interested in the Dust Bowl, I'll link the book below. I highy recommend reading it.

Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    10 years ago

Suzie, It is one of my favorite books, and I loved the Dust Bowl mini-series that was on TV last year. Timothy Egan was interviewed in the miniseries.

I re-read "The Worst Hard Time" every single summer when the heat and drought are making me crazy. I read it to remind myself that our summers aren't the worst thing people in this region have had to endure.

I hope we all get the rain we need and want, but I especially hope the dry areas of OK that need it the most get some of that precious rainfall.

Dawn

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Half inch in the rain gauge before I left for work this morning - our plastic gauge cracked, so I'm not certain it's water-tight. Put a new one out so we shall see tonight. Been raining steadily all morning here in NW OKC/downtown. I put out some radish seeds and some quick lettuce (little gem) last night after I potted up my tomato and pepper seedlings. Let's hope they don't wash away.