Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ajuga and Wild Violets

Posted by jessaka 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 9:44

does ajuga prevent my other plants from coming up such as my ferns? And wild violets. I know that they can get out of hand, but do they prevent other plants from coming up as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ajuga and Wild Violets

What plant are you afraid has been smothered? Wild violets can get very thick and could crowd out something small but maybe the plant you are missing will come up later. Also last year was a bad year and there may be some that did not survive not because of crowding but weather. I like Ajuga and I think I lost most of it last summer in the heat and drought. I am constantly fighting the violets. Once I went on a garden tour where the owner had allowed the wild violets as a ground cover under shrubs in a shady garden. They looked attractive. Any plant can crowd out another less vigorous. Some are so easily overcome that I don't even bother with them. Anything new or small needs to be babied for a while. This time of year I have often worried that something did not survive the winter. Often it eventually comes up when the time is right.

o
RE: Ajuga and Wild Violets

Thanks for posting. A friend gave me some ajuga that is taking over, but I have ferns planted in it and worry that they won't be able to come up. Of course I have stakes where the ferns are so I can weed around them, but is that necessary? But I fear they will choke out everything. Same with violets. They are pretty, but I fear that they will get into my other plants and take over that way. I can see violets as a ground cover under some bushes, but then if i plant flower seeds elsewhere I wouldn't want them to prevent them from coming up. So I am just not sure what to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Oklahoma Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here